Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Replaced Fuel Pump, Replacement Pump Run Backwards
jrrobertson
post May 28 2023, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,704
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The fuel pump (0580 463 009) on my 71 quit working. Even with power connected directly to the pump it did not work. I replaced it with a spare pump (0580 463 005) I had. This one only builds pressure if I switch the positive and negative leads. It will run when connected normally but it will run backwards and will push fuel down the return line. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is? The car runs OK with the wires switched.

The car has the original D-jet fuel injection system.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
windforfun
post May 28 2023, 07:39 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

Why is the part number different? Is that a 914 pump? AA doesn't recognize either PN for a 914. Post some pics of the pumps.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 28 2023, 08:03 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I think you have to turn your transmission upside-down or something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jrrobertson
post May 29 2023, 05:36 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(windforfun @ May 28 2023, 09:39 PM) *

Why is the part number different? Is that a 914 pump? AA doesn't recognize either PN for a 914. Post some pics of the pumps.

0580 463 005 is the Bosch part number. According to the chart in Paul Anders paper "D-Jetronic Parts Analysis and Troubleshooting" this pump would be used for a 1970 through 1974 1.7 or 2.0.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 29 2023, 06:11 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Switch the + and the - terminals on the pump. I recently had the same issue with an aftermarket pump.
+Quote Post
jrrobertson
post May 29 2023, 02:12 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(930cabman @ May 29 2023, 08:11 AM) *

Switch the + and the - terminals on the pump. I recently had the same issue with an aftermarket pump.

Thank you. I did switch the terminals at the pump, and it works great. I finished restoring the car about 3 years ago and could not get the fuel injection system to function properly, so I stored it and restored another one with carbs. That car is done, and I have been driving it, so I decided to get the fuel injected one running properly. After putting in the new fuel pump and blocking off the AAR valve the car is running good. It even idles at 800 rpm. It is a nice car and now I can drive it this summer.

Fuel Injected Car
Attached Image

Car with Carbs
Attached Image
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 29 2023, 04:19 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(jrrobertson @ May 28 2023, 07:35 PM) *

The fuel pump (0580 463 009) on my 71 quit working. Even with power connected directly to the pump it did not work. I replaced it with a spare pump (0580 463 005) I had. This one only builds pressure if I switch the positive and negative leads. It will run when connected normally but it will run backwards and will push fuel down the return line. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is? The car runs OK with the wires switched.

The car has the original D-jet fuel injection system.

009 is the pump that superceded the 005.
were at least fitted to 74 1.8s.
009 slightly more compact design than a 005.
both are near identical and both are for the 914.
i've never fully gotten to the bottom of it - ie as to whether the 009 is specifically for the L jets, some literature i have suggests its just a bosch supersede chronologically, jeff bowlsby has other material that says the 005 is the only pump on 914s until the change in 75.

point being - the 005 should have run the same as the 009.

to be pumping out the return line is definitely not right.
that return line which is the last of the three ports is in fact the pressure relief line.
it means your pump is developing overpressure and relieving.
and the pressure line to the fuel circuit, the central port is blocked somehow.
there is a little sliding pin in there with a spring. its pretty simple how it works.

the normal return line is via the injector circuit after the fuel pressure regulator.
that one out of the fuel pump is overpressure relief and has a t into the return.

not quite sure what is happening with your pumps.
but it sounds like someone has had one of them apart and has not reassembled it correctly.

whatever went on it with it, they both should have hooked up the same.

i'm not sure that is such a great set up to be having the fuel pump running out of the "return" line from the pump. if i am not mistaken there is no way for it to pressure relieve. i could be wrong about that but i believe that would be the case. its possible it might be able to relieve back down the supply line from the tank but it would not be natural for it to do that as its contrary to the way roller cell pumps work.

i've rebuilt both the 009 off my car and a 005 that came off a D jet SAAB which also had them fitted. i've seen inside both pumps and tested their flow rates and pressure delivery. its the same pump essentially.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 29 2023, 04:57 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(jrrobertson @ May 29 2023, 02:12 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ May 29 2023, 08:11 AM) *

Thank you. I did switch the terminals at the pump, and it works great. I finished restoring the car about 3 years ago and could not get the fuel injection system to function properly, so I stored it and restored another one with carbs. That car is done, and I have been driving it, so I decided to get the fuel injected one running properly. After putting in the new fuel pump and blocking off the AAR valve the car is running good. It even idles at 800 rpm. It is a nice car and now I can drive it this summer.

Fuel Injected Car
Attached Image

Car with Carbs
Attached Image

The best of both worlds, did you test all of the FI components prior to installing them?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:00 PM