Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No title in Cali
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike1981
Hello Everyone

Hoping for some advice...

Saw this ad and spoke to the owner about it.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=357906

Have not seen it in person but thinking about buying and converting it to a street car.

I am new to Cali and wondering how painful would it be to register this for a title through the DMV

I believe its old enough not to need a smog test.

Current owner has had it for 1.5 years probably not plated or registered

Thanks for any advice

Mike
JeffBowlsby
Those of us in California do not refer to our state as Cali.
Blue6
Mike,
I bought a 914 race car and returned it to street legal. First, get the VIN have DMV or Auto Club ( if your a member) run it for back fees. If the current owner didn’t non-op it before turning it into a track car there can be hundreds of $$ in back fees and fines. Mine ended up being $672. Second, use one of those private registration services. They don’t charge a hell of a lot, but will save you numerous trips to DMV. Ask your insurance company if they need to inspect it before insuring it. It took me three visits to Auto Club before they would insure it. You need insurance to get it registered. Be patient, but it is possible.
infraredcalvin
That’s a 1976 MY according to the vin sticker. Unless there are stamped vins elsewhere on the car that start with 475…. You’re outa luck, car needs smog in CA = RUN AWAY!!!
Mike1981
HAHA Jeff my mistake only been here 4 months

So California it is Sir.

Regards

Mike

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 23 2022, 12:08 AM) *

Those of us in California do not refer to our state as Cali.

Mike1981
Thanks Blue6

Did not know it was this involved I will run the VIN

MIke

QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jan 23 2022, 01:01 AM) *

Mike,
I bought a 914 race car and returned it to street legal. First, get the VIN have DMV or Auto Club ( if your a member) run it for back fees. If the current owner didn’t non-op it before turning it into a track car there can be hundreds of $$ in back fees and fines. Mine ended up being $672. Second, use one of those private registration services. They don’t charge a hell of a lot, but will save you numerous trips to DMV. Ask your insurance company if they need to inspect it before insuring it. It took me three visits to Auto Club before they would insure it. You need insurance to get it registered. Be patient, but it is possible.

Mike1981
WOW

Good catch, could you please tell me what pic is the vin readable?

Thanks

Mike

quote name='infraredcalvin' date='Jan 23 2022, 04:31 AM' post='2976708']
That’s a 1976 MY according to the vin sticker. Unless there are stamped vins elsewhere on the car that start with 475…. You’re outa luck, car needs smog in CA = RUN AWAY!!!
[/quote]
Shivers
[quote name='Mike1981' date='Jan 23 2022, 07:30 AM' post='2976787']
WOW

Thanks

Mike

[/quote]
[/quote]

@Mike1981

Maltese Falcon
Welcome to our Golden State Mike from a Cali native driving.gif
Hope that you don't get sideways if I would refer to Detroit as Motor City or Motown ¿¿
A lady friend of decades ago was a Detroit native & she had another nickname for that city...but won't bring that up lol-2.gif
I guess LL cool J and Notorious BIG couldn't fit the word California into their lyric format...so party.gif
"Going back to Cali, strictly for the weather"
Get yourself a sorted out 914 and (safely) enjoy the local canyons + some club racing.
Marty

emerygt350
It looks interesting, does it run?
jim_hoyland
[quote name='Shivers' date='Jan 23 2022, 08:23 AM' post='2976801']
[quote name='Mike1981' date='Jan 23 2022, 07:30 AM' post='2976787']
WOW

Thanks

Mike

[/quote]

[/quote]

@Mike1981

[/quote]
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=823702
sixnotfour
ive seen a few 76s with earlier windshild vins and titled as such..
djway
If the car is not in the System you also must have a State Certified inspection. That person will look for multiple stickers, some 914s don't have. then if you go to DMV.......
Some of the registration companies also do the certification/inspection.
dstudeba
Welcome to California!

There are plenty of 914s out there, there is no reason to purchase a 1976 car when all the other 914s don't have to be smogged. In addition this is a 49 state car so even when new it couldn't pass CA emissions. For future reference the DMV website allows you to calculate how much is owed. A lot of owners let their registrations lapse and the penalties and fees will go back at least 4 years which can easily total $600+. And then you have to pay the sales/transfer tax.

When you do buy a car, sort this information out beforehand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.