Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some new design/render work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Optimusglen
Hello all, many of you might remember some older posts of mine, rendering images and such. I've been hard at it for the past few years and even had the start of a Singer-meets-Guntherworks 914 restomod project working with Sung Kang.

Sadly, the project with Sung has been put on hold, and it's looking like it will be a much smaller scale if and when it does ever come to pass. Originally it was going to be 10 cars, now it's likely 1 car... sometime in the future. That project was dubbed the Viceroy 914 (no relation to the race car)

The project may be on hold, but I still love 914's and practicing design. I'm also interested in continuing the design for my own personal car. So while the car I show you here today is not necessarily a Viceroy 914, I'd sure you'll pick up a few cues from that car, and who knows maybe Sung will like this enough to get the project rolling again.

This one I'm going to call the 914-6 GT-C (mostly because my initials are GTC... ) I'll describe a few of my thought processes, but when I'm laying out surfaces and designing things sometimes the creativity just flows. So I may have made something where I can't verbally say why I did it, it just felt right. This car isn't for purists, but it's closer than many of my previous designs.

So, here we go!

IPB Image

The first thing you're likely looking at is the flares. I made these as GT-esque but you'll notice several differences. First off, I wanted a GT-style flare that could be bolted on. This would utilize hidden fasteners or even adhesive, but it will still have a visible seam.

I also wanted a flare that could be installed without needing to fabricate or source valences or rocker covers. I like the narrow-body parts in this circumstance because it gives the car the look like it's light on it's feet, even with such big wheels.

I created my 3D CAD model from laser scan data, a remnant of the Viceroy project. So these parts could literally be sent to the 3D printer now.

IPB Image

Next, you'll see a nice angle of the duckbill. This is a throwback to my watercooled VW days, I had several MK1 Rabbits back in the day, and the duckbill spoiler was one of my favorite add-ons to the early cars.

IPB Image

The sail panel, rocker covers, and front/rear valences are all painted in a gunmetal metallic color. And I have a Saratoga-style roof installed. For my personal car, I don't think I'd do that type of roof, but it worked well for the concept renderings I felt.

IPB Image

Making a return from MANY of my older concepts is the roof spoiler finished in piano black. This time toned down to just give a subtle hint. There's been a LOT of conversation on the aero side of this coin, in that it's most likely to have slightly detrimental effects on engine airflow. In my opinion, worth it for the style it brings.

The Viceroy steering wheel is in place of course. This part of the project was well underway when the rest had it's plug pulled. I'm happy to say that these are available and selling now.

IPB Image

Out back is a fairly standard valence with a cutout for a drivers side dual exhaust. The muffler is a suitcase style, with ribbing for structure.

IPB Image

The color pays homage to a VW color, Inari Silver, but I tweaked it a bit based on my own taste. If (and when) I paint my car this color, I'll need to browse through some color books and find something close or get it custom mixed.

IPB Image

The tires are wide, and big. I pulled the wheels and tires from a Singer 911 model and so I believe they're 17's. Would they shower the bodywork with rocks and dirt? You bet. That's a problem for future Glen.

Way too wide for my current 2.2 6-cyl. But hey, modifying and building up is part of the game right?

IPB Image

I kept the lighting simple, likewise as much of the bodywork as possible. My goal was to make this attainable, so no custom air intakes on the lights, fenders, sides etc. Stock bumpers and tops. etc.

Will it be built?

We'll see.

To see more rendering work feel free to visit my website glencordle.com or my Instagram @Glen-Cordle
tygaboy
Super nice. Build it, please.
Retroracer
Stunning images Glen - thx for sharing.

On the roof spoiler topic: I have often wondered what a "flow director" band on the rear of the roof - somewhat like a Lancia Stratos, or BMW 3.0CSL - might look like on a 914. It could attach to those 6 bolt holes under the top piece on brackets, so the targa top could still be removed easily.

Probably a rear lip spoiler on the trunk would be needed to tie in visually - although I doubt none of it would improve rear downforce or airflow over the engine / rear trunk area.

2c...

- Tony
rgb91424
Love it
Optimusglen
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jan 21 2022, 06:14 PM) *

Stunning images Glen - thx for sharing.

On the roof spoiler topic: I have often wondered what a "flow director" band on the rear of the roof - somewhat like a Lancia Stratos, or BMW 3.0CSL - might look like on a 914. It could attach to those 6 bolt holes under the top piece on brackets, so the targa top could still be removed easily.

Probably a rear lip spoiler on the trunk would be needed to tie in visually - although I doubt none of it would improve rear downforce or airflow over the engine / rear trunk area.

2c...

- Tony

I've heard that one or twice before, the trunk spoiler, however I haven't found or thought of one that looks better than a smooth stock trunk. This isn't a track weapon, just a slick GT.
jkb081
Wow!! Beautiful car! I love the roof. Could that roof actually be a reality? As far as the roof spoiler is concerned, the car will probably never go fast enough to be a factor. Excellent work!! Thanks for sharing.
Vysoc
FANTASTIC Work....Thank you for sharing!!

Vysoc flag.gif
Freezin 914
As always, love all the things you do! It looks perfect just the way it is.
Excellent, just…….Excellent!
first.gif
Costa05
Very creative. The color and flare concept is amazing. Throw in some dimple die sheet metal pieces. Maybe some nickle plated hardware too.
Dion
It’s beautiful!
First thing I thought was “hey he’s a Mk 1 fan”
That front lip spoiler caught my eye immediately.
So cool. Has an aggressive Rallye car style to with the way the flares are presented.
Keep it coming.
Your renditions are awesome.
raynekat
Awesome as usual.
bkrantz
Yes, very cool and incredibly well done. And not even one little rust bubble.
targa72e
Love your renderings. I have thought about the ribbed style muffler. I have a Boxster muffler sitting in the garage waiting to be modified as a future project. As I like the ribbed look of what is exposed and visible but also wanted center outlet muffler.

john
pfreiburger
Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for reminding me about Inari Silver - it was a favorite of mine many years ago when I worked for a VW dealer. Somehow I had forgot about it and your car brought back memories. So many great ideas in your concept, I really hope it gets built.
rick 918-S
assimilate.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Cairo94507
Love your work! beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
I've been thinking of doing a custom front lip spoiler, nice to see a different design.
Cool stuff! thumb3d.gif
Optimusglen
Thanks for the input guys!

I have a line on someone to CNC the flare molds from foam, an outfit that I had briefly considered moving to Nevada to work there. They do a lot of supercars and have some solid experience.

The lay up would be all on my own, and I'm new to the process, but I can't NOT pursue it.

I also ordered a VW duckbill. Figured I can cut and trim as needed as a first shot.
krazykonrad
That is one of the best looking 914s I have ever seen. Keep up the good work!

beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jan 22 2022, 03:25 PM) *

Thanks for the input guys!

I have a line on someone to CNC the flare molds from foam, an outfit that I had briefly considered moving to Nevada to work there. They do a lot of supercars and have some solid experience.

The lay up would be all on my own, and I'm new to the process, but I can't NOT pursue it.

I also ordered a VW duckbill. Figured I can cut and trim as needed as a first shot.

@Optimusglen - I've done mold making and vacuum bagged, wet layup of carbon fiber. It's all very straight forward. I'd be happy to share my lessons learned, try and answer any questions, point you to suppliers I've used, etc. PM me if I can help at all.
914-300Hemi
Looks amazing
Optimusglen
Thanks all! For anyone interested in higher resolution images, take a gander.

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5

pic 6

pic 7

pic 8
burton73
Your work is totally amazing bud!

Bob B
ClayPerrine
Where can I get one of the front spoilers??? I need to get the front end to stop lifting at speed.

Clay
Optimusglen
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 24 2022, 02:25 PM) *

Where can I get one of the front spoilers??? I need to get the front end to stop lifting at speed.

Clay

Well, I have one for a MK1 VW on it's way to my house, once it gets warmer this spring I'll be checking out the fitment and seeing what needs to be trimmed or revised.

Currently, there is no off-the-shelf solution, but then again, who knows, maybe it'll bolt right up and work perfectly without trimming required...
Jonny Retrofit
Lovely renders. I think there could be a market for the add on flares. Personally I am not a fan of the flat sided shape of the GT flare. I think the Fifteen11 guys have it right on their retro mod. Taking the Mk1 Golf/Rabbit theme further, I think that flare style could work also.

The duck bill looks cool but I can't see this working in the real world unless you have a super tall wheel and tyre combo. I have skinned the bottom of my LE valence more time than I care to remember and my car is only lowered slightly. Unless I am missing something, the duck bill would be touching the ground?
Krieger
Very impressive work!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jkb081 @ Jan 21 2022, 09:14 PM) *

Wow!! Beautiful car! I love the roof. Could that roof actually be a reality? As far as the roof spoiler is concerned, the car will probably never go fast enough to be a factor. Excellent work!! Thanks for sharing.

The roof (saratoga top) can be bought now from 914Rubber - if they have them in stock.

Zach
Optimusglen
After I posted these on my Instagram I received a message from a friend of mine. Louie runs Customs Factory based out of Nevada and they specialize in carbon fiber parts for concept and one-off or low volume hyper cars.

They did the carbon for the Shelby SSC Tuatara that tried to beat the land speed record for production cars. Shelby SSC Tuatara

I can get a set of wet layup non-vaccum mold for essentially the cost of shipping. So I spent some time creating mold files for these flares.

IPB Image

Louie suggested 6oz or 8oz cloth and polyester resin for the wet layup on this home-brew set, pulling directly from the foam molds after some primer and bodywork with duratec.

@tygaboy I'd be interested in your experiences as well. At this point I'm not out to produce/sell these, just want a set for my car, but if all goes well maybe a partnership with someone who can make them, if there's interest...
tygaboy
Hey Glenn - Maybe a brief call would be easiest? PM me if you'd like to chat. For now, a couple observations:
I can't tell for sure from the pics of the molds but do they account for some sort of return for the fasteners? If not, you could bond on a return as a secondary operation. That would simplify the molds and help avoid possible mold lock.
The other option would be to make a 2-piece mold and build in the return. You do end up with a parting line but if you're planning bodywork and paint, that's a non issue.
My other input is that the mold only needs a couple inches of flange around the shape of the part. Unless I'm missing something, your mold doesn't need to be that deep around the wheel opening area of the flare. Reducing that area will make part removal much easier.
Finally, what material is being used for those molds? Vacuum bagging, even if you only pull a low-ish partial vacuum, can make a nice difference.
I'm not sure I'm being clear so again, let me know if a call would help. Either way, AWESOME!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Optimusglen
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 21 2022, 12:46 PM) *

Hey Glenn - Maybe a brief call would be easiest? PM me if you'd like to chat. For now, a couple observations:
I can't tell for sure from the pics of the molds but do they account for some sort of return for the fasteners? If not, you could bond on a return as a secondary operation. That would simplify the molds and help avoid possible mold lock.
The other option would be to make a 2-piece mold and build in the return. You do end up with a parting line but if you're planning bodywork and paint, that's a non issue.
My other input is that the mold only needs a couple inches of flange around the shape of the part. Unless I'm missing something, your mold doesn't need to be that deep around the wheel opening area of the flare. Reducing that area will make part removal much easier.
Finally, what material is being used for those molds? Vacuum bagging, even if you only pull a low-ish partial vacuum, can make a nice difference.
I'm not sure I'm being clear so again, let me know if a call would help. Either way, AWESOME!!! smilie_pokal.gif

Here's a better view of the mold CAD, the green surfaces are the part surfaces. The area of the cavity above that part edge is drafted at 4 degrees.

IPB Image

Yes, fasteners will be a secondary opp, likely bonding some brackets on the inside near the lip. Brackets will have captivated nuts, and machine screws inserted from inside the fender, with washers etc.

The molds themselves will be CNC'd from foam, the specific kind of foam I am unsure of, but from what I gather it's a common use in the industry. Louie said that this type of mold could be finished with a product called Duratec.
Maltese Falcon
Always gorgeous work Glen, love your technique !¡
Yep it's a special (marketing) art in building retro cars (even limited prod) and being that Singer or Gunther company. Did the 59 Viceroy steering wheels sell out ?
Wonder when we will see these on the roads;
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
From their iGram page; progress looking Good aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
Optimusglen
really am not a fan of that fifteen_11 car and I dislike how many people show that to me (no offense to you of course)

I supplied the fifteen_11 designer with a base model to use to make his... alterations.

The 59 Viceroy wheels have not fully sold out, but it's getting close. We have begun getting things ready for the non-limited versions, as well as a version without the wood.
Maltese Falcon
@Optimusglen yeah that would bug me to no end, people weighing our creativity to that guy & that guy...
Hope that you got paid for your design time !
My Son @MATTYLITE who's design input on our 8gtt proj, sketched up some nice H-I-D headlights in the (turn signal) fender pods...almost exactly like these in the Fifteen-eleven concept.
We are at liberty to carefully trim the areas of Sheridan fender-tops in order to get there. Hella H-I-D lights were purchased in 2007, and are now getting to the wiring stage...tedious project. After the fitment, we're hoping that Rudy @curbandgutter will sell us a spare set of his clear lens covers that he is prototyping on his awesome v6 widebody project smile.gif
marty914.jpg
Optimusglen
Some more ideation on this, I put some effort into the interior.

I'd call this a solid first draft, but really it could all take another look or two. It's a little more pie-in-the-sky than the exterior mods and unlikely most of this will ever come to fruition, but it's a fun design experiment nonetheless.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
johnhora
Wow...the interior is very nice....simple like the original but so nicely updated...I like the stop watches in the dash....cool work...you're very talented
Eric_Shea
Stunning work as always.

I'll need to browse through some color books and find something close or get it custom mixed

Ice Green Metallic?

https://www.colors.rs/colorsearch?tag=ACAHu...p;searchtype=rs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.