Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 Fuel injectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesJ
Hello All,
I need to replace a couple of leaky injectors on my '74 1.8 and wondered if anyone has used an aftermarket injector with success/failure or heard of anyone who has. A knowledgeable friend recommended that I stick with NOS Bosch. Stoddard sells injectors and the salesperson told me that their part number supercedes the Bosch number, but I am unsure about that and they were unable to tell me who manufacturers them or the country of origin.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
James
Van B
What is the stoddard part number? They are probably steering you wrong.
@JeffBowlsby has done all the work for you:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=neihoff
Van B
0280150112 is the proper PN for a ‘74 1.8L and 105, 114, and 116 are the only other injectors with the proper flow rate. But for those, you will need to modify the hose.

You can get NOS on eBay. I recently bought 7 so I can have them all tested and come up with a flow matched set.

Van
JamesJ
Hi Van,
The Stoddard p/n is 022906031c.
If I can't find the 914 NOS p/n, I could get one of the other part numbers that you mentioned and buy new hose ends?
Van B
022906031C is the VW number.

022906031C (VW) = 0280150112 (Bosch)

Also, I looked up the stoddard part and it doesn’t have the ceramic anti-fouling tips that the OE Bosch injectors have. For the price they are asking, you can get NOS Bosch.

Seller offered me these for $90 each with free shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313220351939
wonkipop
here is R Atwell's page with the full list of near compatible.

https://www.ratwell.com/technical/Injectors.html

114 and 116 will also work - change the hoses to be right for 914 fuel rail. 914 rubber has hoses.

search around as van says. but they are not cheap and not getting cheaper for the nos gear.

clay perrine had a tip on nissan injectors i have filed away somewhere. might be cheaper/easier to get hold of beerchug.gif .

also where are they leaking from. maybe you can fix the ones you have just with new hoses?
wonkipop
found clay perrine's tip i had filed away.

Click to view attachment
Van B
Those look visually equivalent to the long hose Bosch 0280150116. Can’t find any flow ratings but that just my visual assessment.

There are still plenty of the correct Bosch 0280150112 injectors out there as NOS that I would just pay $25 more and get the real deal.

Van
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 15 2022, 12:38 AM) *

Those look visually equivalent to the long hose Bosch 0280150116. Can’t find any flow ratings but that just my visual assessment.

There are still plenty of the correct Bosch 0280150112 injectors out there as NOS that I would just pay $25 more and get the real deal.

Van

I did the research on this several years ago. The Bosch 0280150116 injectors have a slightly higher flow rate than a Bosch 0280150112 injector. So if you are running a modified engine with L-Jet, the bigger injectors help.

And the Beck/Arnely injectors are cheaper than the Bosch, and work fine. I have been running them in Betty's car for almost a decade and have not had to buy new injectors in that time.

Clay
Van B
Interesting. @JeffBowlsby spreadsheet is the best piece of info google could show me. It really is amazing how often google will recommend something on this site even if you’re just searching part numbers. Anyway, Jeff showed them both flowing the same. I suppose spending the very nominal fee for flow testing answers all questions.

Back to the topic at hand, @JamesJ you know there is a pretty good chance you can fix your current injectors.
When I lived in Houston, https://www.injectorrx.com/ was the place to go. But there are many shops that can service your old injectors to get them functioning again.
Plus seals and hoses are a super easy DIY on this car.

Van
ClayPerrine
I would put new injectors in the car. Running anything that carries gasoline that is 50 years old is a risk. New injectors, hoses, stainless steel lines, and the proper clamps are cheap insurance against a fire.

As for fire... Been there, done that. Watching your 914 burn is the stuff of nightmares.

Just my $.02.

Clay
StarBear
Going to print and file this thread. Great stuff!
Van B
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 15 2022, 10:52 AM) *

I would put new injectors in the car. Running anything that carries gasoline that is 50 years old is a risk. New injectors, hoses, stainless steel lines, and the proper clamps are cheap insurance against a fire.

As for fire... Been there, done that. Watching your 914 burn is the stuff of nightmares.

Just my $.02.

Clay

We’ll that was dramatic lol! I decided to go the new injector route too, but I’ve also had great success in rebuilding injectors. As such, I’m going to test my old ones as soon as the come off the car. If they still exceed the minimum 2.4 ohm threshold, I may have my old ones rebuilt and hang onto them for a while.

For @StarBear record purposes. All the new injectors I bought tested at 2.6 ohms. Manual says 2.4 as the min passable score.

Van
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 15 2022, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 15 2022, 10:52 AM) *

Just my $.02.

Clay

We’ll that was dramatic lol! I decided to go the new injector route too, but I’ve also had great success in rebuilding injectors. As such, I’m going to test my old ones as soon as the come off the car. If they still exceed the minimum 2.4 ohm threshold, I may have my old ones rebuilt and hang onto them for a while.

For @StarBear record purposes. All the new injectors I bought tested at 2.6 ohms. Manual says 2.4 as the min passable score.

Van

clay's dead on with that.

burning 914s were an everyday feature of the LA landscape in the late 70s/early80s i understand.

when i first bought my car off the orig owner we tried to get it started in his garage.
it had not run for a year or two. injectors were orig and car was 15 years old.
one of the jets that fired out of a rotted injector hose hit the ceiling of his garage.
good thing no one was puffing on a cigar.

got a flat bed and just had it taken to a mechanic in chicago.
rotted hoses everywhere. to fuel pump etc.

did it all over again after doing the same thing to the car myself for 16 years.
the lot. tunnel lines the works. and my ritual still involves starting and then going around sniffing everywhere and looking for drips.

EDIT
according to R Atwell's stuff the 912E injectors flow at 3 cc/min higher. pretty neglible in a pinch. which is probably what clay is getting at with equal datsuns.

what you need to be careful with buying NOS is making sure the pintal caps have never been taken off and that preferably they are still bagged. time is moving on and the tips can corrode once exposed to the atmosphere in any significant way. then they are SNAFU and just can't be cleaned or reconditioned. mine had been inactive for 15-16 years. we took them out. had them professionally cleaned and cleared and tested.
but within weeks they just stuffed up again. they did so before we could even get them in the car as we discovered when we went the start up. just ran off its cold start injector and then died. back then 2 years ago i got a good set of 4 for $250 USD out of arizona from a guy who had a beetle that ran the same injectors. tiny bit cheaper than what van is paying now. $ make sense on what he handed over to get some now.
Geezer914
Rock auto, standard motor products injectors. You have to change the hoses.
JamesJ
Thanks to all of you for your input. I am not sure about the missing ceramic anti-fouling tip if that will be a possible problem. I also wondered if a new injector is upgraded technology as opposed to an NOS injector that is older and also been sitting around for who knows how long. The fact that the Stoddard VW p/n cross references to the Bosch was helpful. The Stoddard FIs have a year warranty. I am going to give them a try and see how it goes.
James
Van B
I’ve sent all 7 of my NOS Bosch injectors out for testing. I suspect I’ll have my matched set within the week. Good luck with your choice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.