Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Third Brake Light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdamiano
I’m adding a third brake light on the inside of the rear window. Can anyone save me some time with my multimeter under the dash and tell me the best place to pick up the brake lights wiring?
rjames
I just ran the wires under the roof and sail chrome trim, into the engine bay and along the wires in the trunk, and then made the connections directly at the tail light connection using a dual spade connector. Wiring is out of sight and easily undone if need be.
StarBear
agree.gif Yep; me, too. Easy. Cheap. The 914 way!
barefoot
With the backed removed, easy access to brake light wires in the tunnel easy to conceal wiring beerchug.gif
Geezer914
You can splice into the brake light wires that run under the relay board instead of going all the way back to the tail light.
Spoke
I picked up the brake signal at the driver side rear light fixture. Used a spade connector and a 2:1 male-female connector to make the connection. Taped the new wire to the existing wire loom. Connected the ground on the chassis lug behind the relay board.
930cabman
I cannot recall the thread, but if you look for "BBrock" he added one to his 914 project.
rjames
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jan 14 2022, 01:51 PM) *

I’m adding a third brake light on the inside of the rear window. Can anyone save me some time with my multimeter under the dash and tell me the best place to pick up the brake lights wiring?

Where you put the wiring will depend on where you put the light. I'd recommend mounting it outside of the cabin, otherwise you're going to get reflection off of the rear window- especially at night.
StarBear
QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 15 2022, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jan 14 2022, 01:51 PM) *

Where you put the wiring will depend on where you put the light. I'd recommend mounting it outside of the cabin, otherwise you're going to get reflection off of the rear window- especially at night.

agree.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 15 2022, 05:17 AM) *

I picked up the brake signal at the driver side rear light fixture. Used a spade connector and a 2:1 male-female connector to make the connection. Taped the new wire to the existing wire loom. Connected the ground on the chassis lug behind the relay board.

agree.gif I did the same thing. Much easier than going through the tunnel.
I mounted a corvette convertible / 944 light to the top of my engine lid. I added a connector, to make it easy to remove the engine lid.
https://www.google.com/search?q=corvette+3r...=r8KXQMC5aeyQ1M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.