Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Want to buy Original 1.7 air cleaner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkb081
Looking for complete air cleaner with mounting bolt/wing nut for 73 1.7
Mikey914
It should be plastic lnot the metal one.
jkb081
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 9 2022, 08:35 PM) *

OK, thanks. I thought the 1.7 was metal, the 1.8 was plastic, and the 2-L was the big square metal one. Im not sure if I have an early or late 73. The numbers that are supposed to be in the front trunk, and in the rear trunk are missing. Both trunks have been sprayed with "bed liner" I cannot find/see the engine number either. I have looked at the area where it is supposed to be, but cannot see anything.
JamesM
QUOTE(jkb081 @ Jan 9 2022, 07:56 PM) *

OK, thanks. I thought the 1.7 was metal, the 1.8 was plastic, and the 2-L was the big square metal one. Im not sure if I have an early or late 73. The numbers that are supposed to be in the front trunk, and in the rear trunk are missing. Both trunks have been sprayed with "bed liner" I cannot find/see the engine number either. I have looked at the area where it is supposed to be, but cannot see anything.

The earlier 1.7s (70-72) use a metal oil bath filter. 1973 1.7s they changed to a round plastic filter. 1.8s use a square plastic filter housing.

The issue with the 73 round plastic housing is finding the proper filter elements for it. You can use the earlier metal filter as they are interchangeable however it would not be "correct" for the year.
Jamie
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 10 2022, 06:22 AM) *

The earlier 1.7s (70-72) use a metal oil bath filter. 1973 1.7s they changed to a round plastic filter. 1.8s use a square plastic filter housing.

The issue with the 73 round plastic housing is finding the proper filter elements for it. You can use the earlier metal filter as they are interchangeable however it would not be "correct" for the year.

And the round air filters for the 73 1.7L are not easy to find, but I did eventually find them available from NAPA, part #2909. aktion035.gif
jrmdir
jkb081: Do you have the build date from the EPA sticker on the rear door jamb? If not, how about the production number above the paint code on the Karmann plate in the front door jamb?

My '73 1.7 was built in September of '72 and has the round plastic cleaner, if that helps.

Also, Jamie: Thanks for the NAPA part number info! Just what I've been looking for.

BTW, NAPA website shows no options for ordering or picking one up, so it may be NLA. However, they cross reference to WIX 42909 and I found them on eBay for less than $7.

Thanks again.

Ron
Sprout
My '73 1.7 was built in Dec '72, and has the round, plastic air cleaner. I was able to buy the filter at Advance Auto, and it was in stock, didn't have to order. It was just their brand (Carquest).
jkb081
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jan 10 2022, 01:16 PM) *

jkb081: Do you have the build date from the EPA sticker on the rear door jamb? If not, how about the production number above the paint code on the Karmann plate in the front door jamb?

My '73 1.7 was built in September of '72 and has the round plastic cleaner, if that helps.

Also, Jamie: Thanks for the NAPA part number info! Just what I've been looking for.

BTW, NAPA website shows no options for ordering or picking one up, so it may be NLA. However, they cross reference to WIX 42909 and I found them on eBay for less than $7.

Thanks again.

Ron

Hello. the only number on the car is stamped in the Karman plate. 2639599. There appears to be another number at the bottom of the same plate, however it is scratched so bad, I cannot read it. I can only make out maybe a 5 in the middle, and what looks like a K at the end. The VIN is 4732927001. The numbers in both trunks are covered up with undercoating.
jkb081
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 10 2022, 09:22 AM) *

I see. Thank you. My issue is the intake horn is pressing down on the flapper rod that connects both flappers, thus preventing it from proper function. So I assumed I have the incorrect air cleaner.
jrmdir
QUOTE[I see. Thank you. My issue is the intake horn is pressing down on the flapper rod that connects both flappers, thus preventing it from proper function. So I assumed I have the incorrect air cleaner.]QUOTE

The horn should point to the side of the car. See below. You should be able to rotate the bottom of the cleaner (with the horn) when the clips are undone. The top half's orientation is fixed by the rubber connector to the throttle body.

As to the covered up numbers in the trunks, they would (should) be the same as the top number on the Karmann plate: 2639599. This means your car was built on the 3rd day of the 26th week (of 1973.) Or Wednesday, June 27th. This, and the high VIN# (27001) would put it fairly late in the '73 model run, which I believe would have ended in August or September.

The scratched out bottom number is the original paint code.

Ron

Click to view attachment
Highland
QUOTE(jkb081 @ Jan 9 2022, 05:23 PM) *

Is this what you're looking for?

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(jkb081 @ Jan 9 2022, 07:23 PM) *

@jkb081

It you find a plastic air cleaner i have several NOS Mann air filters.
jkb081
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jan 10 2022, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE[I see. Thank you. My issue is the intake horn is pressing down on the flapper rod that connects both flappers, thus preventing it from proper function. So I assumed I have the incorrect air cleaner.]QUOTE

The horn should point to the side of the car. See below. You should be able to rotate the bottom of the cleaner (with the horn) when the clips are undone. The top half's orientation is fixed by the rubber connector to the throttle body.

As to the covered up numbers in the trunks, they would (should) be the same as the top number on the Karmann plate: 2639599. This means your car was built on the 3rd day of the 26th week (of 1973.) Or Wednesday, June 27th. This, and the high VIN# (27001) would put it fairly late in the '73 model run, which I believe would have ended in August or September.

Ron

Click to view attachment

Wow! Thanks a lot! That is the kind of information I have been looking for. I purchased George Hussy's book, but it is useless. I had some VW books that have all this kind of infomation, however because of a recent move, I cannot find them. The horn was pointing forward to the fire wall. I had rotated to the right to line up with the indents on the mounting bracket. I could not seat it because the horn ended up right on top of the distributer. I will take it apart again tomorrow. Thanks for the great information.
jkb081
QUOTE(Highland @ Jan 10 2022, 05:59 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Yes, I believe that is the one!I have had several offers to buy/sell. I would like to respond to all before making a purchase.
jkb081
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 10 2022, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(jkb081 @ Jan 9 2022, 07:23 PM) *

@jkb081

It you find a plastic air cleaner i have several NOS Mann air filters.

Thank you. I am sure I will be needing one.
jkb081
QUOTE(Highland @ Jan 10 2022, 05:59 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Yes. What are you looking to get for it? How do we exchange money/payment?
Highland
PM sent.
JamesM
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jan 10 2022, 11:16 AM) *

Thanks again.

Ron

There was a thread on 1.7 filter elements a while back that has the details, but at that time while there were available replacements that would "fit" in the air filter housing none of the options i checked out actually sealed properly and hence wouldn't be actual filtering any air. The original filter has a raised ring in the center to create the air seal while all aftermarket options even if they are the same factory dimensions lack this detail and allow air over the top of the filter. Others had to large an ID and you could hear them flopping around in the housing if you shook it.

I have a collection of proper elements out in my garage, ill see if i can get a picture later to show you what i am talking about. Or you might be able to find the old thread with the details.

JamesM
For reference this is what the original elements looked like

Found one on ebay, didnt need to go to the garage smile.gif

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284384653249

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
]This is why 914World is AWESOME!
[quote name='jkb081' post='2973566' date='Jan 10 2022, 06:38
Wow! Thanks a lot! That is the kind of information I have been looking for. I purchased George Hussy's book, but it is useless. I had some VW books that have all this kind of infomation, however because of a recent move, I cannot find them. The horn was pointing forward to the fire wall. I had rotated to the right to line up with the indents on the mounting bracket. I could not seat it because the horn ended up right on top of the distributer. I will take it apart again tomorrow. Thanks for the great information.
[/quote]
jkb081
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jan 10 2022, 03:19 PM) *

Ron

Click to view attachment

Hello Ron. Thanks for the great information on the air cleaner and explanation of the Karmann badge. I wonder if I might ask for another favor? Interpretation of engine and transmission numbers. I afraid I might have a "Frankinstein" car. lol! Could explain why certain things do not look correct and also explain the fitment issues Im having. Engine number: EA106342, Transmission number: 914/11HA0004761. Thanks for your help.

jrmdir
Happy to help. I knew almost nothing about these cars 6 months ago and learned everything from the helpful folks here!

There are a lot of threads on engine numbers, and a lot of people more into them than I am, but based on the numbers on my original '73, yours look to be correct. Or at least not out of whack. Hopefully others will chime in.

One thing you should do, if not already, is to put your info into the VIN Database (top thread in this forum) Once your car is slotted in, you may be able to see some engine #'s of cars that were built at or nearly at the same time. Could be a good gut check.

Cheers,

Ron
jkb081
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jan 11 2022, 03:23 PM) *

Happy to help. I knew almost nothing about these cars 6 months ago and learned everything from the helpful folks here!

There are a lot of threads on engine numbers, and a lot of people more into them than I am, but based on the numbers on my original '73, yours look to be correct. Or at least not out of whack. Hopefully others will chime in.

One thing you should do, if not already, is to put your info into the VIN Database (top thread in this forum) Once your car is slotted in, you may be able to see some engine #'s of cars that were built at or nearly at the same time. Could be a good gut check.

Cheers,

Ron

Thanks!
euro911
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 11 2022, 09:02 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Maybe 'Mr. Rubber' can produce a rubber ring to place on top of the NAPA and WIX elements to help achieve proper sealing ??? idea.gif ???

poke.gif ( @mikey914 )
Jamie
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 12 2022, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 11 2022, 09:02 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Maybe 'Mr. Rubber' ( @mikey914 ) can produce a rubber ring to place on top of the NAPA and WIX elements to help achieve proper sealing ??? idea.gif ???

poke.gif

What? No rubber ring needed for seal if proper filter is selected. :shades2:eBay post is way overpriced! hissyfit.gif
jrmdir
The $7 WIX filter I ordered will be here this weekend. If there's a gap, I'm thinking of trying something like this and will report back.

Click to view attachment
jrmdir
PSA

Well, unfortunately, the NAPA 2909 discussed above does NOT fit the stock 1.7 round cleaner. It's way off (yellow circle is what the ID needs to be.)

The return shipping exceeds the original cost so if anyone needs it let me know.

Ron

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
That's a plastic housing? I wonder if the fittment differs with the metal one?
JamesM
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jan 14 2022, 08:55 AM) *

PSA

Well, unfortunately, the NAPA 2909 discussed above does NOT fit the stock 1.7 round cleaner. It's way off (yellow circle is what the ID needs to be.)

The return shipping exceeds the original cost so if anyone needs it let me know.

Ron

Click to view attachment

Yeah, really easy to see the nasty air gaps under that one.

Ill save some time and just re-post a previous discussion on this issue:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108311

Man, that was 12 years ago lol. I have been doing this way to long.

Never personally tried it but I am still betting the K&N E-3270 is probably going to be the best aftermarket option based on the specs.

And im curious enough to find out now that I just dropped 83 bucks after tax and shipping on the last one summit had in stock to find out. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-e-3270

Ill let you know how it goes...

Otherwise
This is probably the best adaptation of a non stock filter i have seen so far, not sure how well it seals at the top though
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=305094
Jamie
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jan 14 2022, 07:55 AM) *

PSA

Ron

Click to view attachment

I've run the NAPA 2909 filter in my all original 73 1.7L for years, not fitment problem. The filter in your photo appears to be much larger than the inside diameter of my filter which is 6.5"? confused24.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jan 14 2022, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jan 14 2022, 07:55 AM) *

PSA

Ron

Click to view attachment

I've run the NAPA 2909 filter in my all original 73 1.7L for years, not fitment problem. The filter in your photo appears to be much larger than the inside diameter of my filter which is 6.5"? confused24.gif

Hold the horses, I just measured my air filter, and the NAPA box is labeled #2909 but the filter has #2011 inside! That is the filter I've been running in the 73 air filter housing all these years. confused24.gif .Sorry for the confusion y'all!
JamesM
Ok, so my K&N E3270 showed up and I made it out to my 1.7 to take a look at it this weekend.

So... first off worth mentioning is how the factory filter is supposed to fit. snug around the inner ring. So snug that you can hold it upside down without it falling out.

Click to view attachment

This is how it was designed to seal, not via the top and bottom. Thankfully i recently drove through Redrock country and the remnants of this in my air filter housing make it very apparent. You can see on the top part of the filter housing how little of the filter is actually touching at the top as dirt has made it all the way into the inner most ring

Click to view attachment

Comparison of the Factory filter and the E-3270

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Overall height of the E-3270 is roughly the same height as the inner ring of the factory filter however the OD is slightly larger so it isnt grabbing the inner ring though it is close enough that there are no gaps in the upper and lower contact surfaces. Also the OD is not as large and there are less pleats in the filter material, so I imagine there is considerably less filter material overall, not necessary a bad thing, just means you may need to service the filter more often, but the K&N is washable so that is somewhat of a non issue.

Upon test fitting it the height is perfect. the housing can be clamped closed with only minimal pressure and once the housing is clamped down there is no movement of the filter at all. I suspect this one should seal well enough to actually filter the incoming air.

However after this filter arrived, knowing how they fit now, I decided to poke back into the K&N catalog and found a newer filter that wasn't previously listed last time I looked...

The E-9145 has an ID listed at 124mm (3mm less than the E-3270) and 82mm height (1mm shorter than the E3270). This may be a perfect fit on the inner ring. Biggest possible downside I see is the OD is only 149mm where as the OD on the E-3270 was 160, so its going to be even thinner (12mm vs 16mm) and most likely have even less filter material. Its also 15 bucks cheaper. (actually as I was able to get this one with amazon prime free shipping it came out like 30 bucks cheaper $55 vs $85 )

Only one way to find out how well it actually works though, and I like spending money to know things i guess, so i ordered one up, should be here this week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.