Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: People talking about the Chalon Kit on a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
gms
My friend bought this back in September 2020...thanks for not making me buy this one Ben.
This was a signal orange car originally delivered to LA CA, I believe it lived it life in So Cal.
Click to view attachment
gms
I have seen few chassis as nice as this one
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
the plating is still on the brake sheilds w00t.gif
Click to view attachment
gms
look at this! lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment
eric9144
Interesting carpet in that trunk, never seen anything like that!
Happy new year Glenn!
popcorn[1].gif
gms
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jan 1 2022, 12:39 PM) *

Happy new year Glenn!
popcorn[1].gif

makes you want to cuddle up and sleep in there av-943.gif
Happy New Year Eric!
gms
Ben will be restoring this car as a stock side -6. If you have interest in the chalon parts let me know
Superhawk996
Will be awesome to see it return to normal!

Keep the pictures of this project coming.
Root_Werks
Looks like a very solid chassis, nice score! This is going to be a fun thread to follow.
Shivers
Hahaha, that is soooo 80's. Even the paint scheme. biggrin.gif Nice to see it going steel...Congrats

QUOTE(gms @ Jan 1 2022, 10:35 AM) *

sixnotfour
Pimped Out 914-6
Cairo94507
That Six is going to be a very happy Six! beerchug.gif
emerygt350
Oh the horror!

wink.gif
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 1 2022, 02:20 PM) *

Oh the horror!

wink.gif

HA!!
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
aktion035.gif
Mikey914
Good bones to start with. 5 lug Fuchs, you are so far ahead on this one! I'd be you wind up driving it this summer.
KELTY360
Kinda shows how little respect the 914 got in the 80’s.
emerygt350
The wheels look messed up in the photo. Did they put both front rims on one side? Should be a wide lipped rim on the back (not that it matters now).
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 1 2022, 07:40 PM) *

Kinda shows how little respect the 914 got in the 80’s.

I am of the mind that the Chalon was a cool conversion body for the time. But real 6's are coming into their own now and a change back to stock sheet metal makes perfect sense.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(gms @ Jan 1 2022, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jan 1 2022, 12:39 PM) *

Happy new year Glenn!
popcorn[1].gif

makes you want to cuddle up and sleep in there av-943.gif
Happy New Year Eric!

laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
number40_914.jpg
PaulFV8
I almost bid on this car. So much better than the rust bucket I bought sawzall-smiley.gif
brant
Nice!
brant
Nice!
brant
Duplicate
Chris H.
That looks a lot like a Chalon that was in VW & Porsche Magazine in the 80's.

A well done Chalon is nice..but a real 6 Chalon should be put back to stock. If only Glenn had a hoard of NOS body panels... idea.gif .
gms
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 2 2022, 01:24 PM) *

That looks a lot like a Chalon that was in VW & Porsche Magazine in the 80's.

Chris that is the car
Chris H.
No kidding...I MIGHT have that issue somewhere. If I find it you can have it.
gms
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 2 2022, 07:08 AM) *

The wheels look messed up in the photo. Did they put both front rims on one side? Should be a wide lipped rim on the back (not that it matters now).
Click to view attachment

The car has 7" wheels all around, this is not unusual.
With a nice paint job and unbroken fiberglass the chalon kit can look nice ( like your car) however this is a 914-6 originally signal orange that needs bodywork so it is time to go back to stock. Ben will spend money while increasing the value of the car as opposed to restoring the chalon kit and not getting the full potential value.
emerygt350
You never know... Someday a chalon might be just as interesting to collectors as stock. As the generations turn over that Memorex 80s look might be of interest, particularly for those who grew up in the 80s.

Not saying that should stop you from capitalizing on current fads and definitely stock is the safe bet for future value.

And if that carpet in the frunk needs a new home, pm me.
Bartlett 914
Putting this back to stock will make the most sense. The value of the car will be greatly improved. The chalon kit belongs on a 4 cylinder car. I am not sure how hard it would be to save it.
mrholland2
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 2 2022, 05:10 PM) *

You never know... Someday a chalon might be just as interesting to collectors as stock. As the generations turn over that Memorex 80s look might be of interest, particularly for those who grew up in the 80s.

Not saying that should stop you from capitalizing on current fads and definitely stock is the safe bet for future value.

I started driving in 1981 and the only 80s stuff that is "cool" is stock 80s stuff. Butchering a pre-80s car is like putting 2" baseboards in a California Craftsman house. *shudders* icon8.gif
thomasotten
If that is the Chalon car from the magazine add, might want to keep it a Chalon. I would never make a Chalon today, but back in the 80's I used to love the car in the VW & Porsche magazines. Too bad it was done to an original 6 car. But do whatever you want to do. It's your car.
emerygt350
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Jan 3 2022, 03:37 PM) *

I started driving in 1981 and the only 80s stuff that is "cool" is stock 80s stuff. Butchering a pre-80s car is like putting 2" baseboards in a California Craftsman house. *shudders* icon8.gif

Yes, sure, a stock 160 hp V8 is the only cool 80s </sarcasm>.

This isn't stock 80s, this is making an odd duck from 70 look like a real Porsche you might like to drive in 1984. It is just another moment in car history and tastes. Right now the guys with bank buying mint stock 914s are all in their late 50s to 60s, they were 10 in 1974 and 1964. They are chasing the aesthetic from their childhood. The 80s are now starting to bump up in price as that generation starts in with some extra income. It will be interesting to see how they feel about it. Particularly after all the chalons have been _fixed_ and therefore quite rare.
AZBanks
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 3 2022, 12:47 PM) *

Putting this back to stock will make the most sense. The value of the car will be greatly improved. The chalon kit belongs on a 8 cylinder car. I am not sure how hard it would be to save it.

Fixed it for you. driving.gif

I think a Chalon kit with a Gale Banks twin turbo SBC is just the ticket.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jan 4 2022, 01:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 3 2022, 12:47 PM) *

Putting this back to stock will make the most sense. The value of the car will be greatly improved. The chalon kit belongs on a 8 cylinder car. I am not sure how hard it would be to save it.

Fixed it for you. driving.gif

I think a Chalon kit with a Gale Banks twin turbo SBC is just the ticket.

LOL Thanks!
Chris H.
Haven't found the issue in my stash yetyet, but it looks like it's August 1980....

Link:

August 1980 VWP

EDIT: OK who bought it LOL?
jd74914
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Jan 3 2022, 03:37 PM) *

Two inch bungalow baseboards don't bother me...though I did just spend absurd amounts of time milling custom baseboard to match my existing circa-1790 trim. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

It is too bad this was a /6 though, would have been a neat historical conversion car to own.
emerygt350
Had to buy that mag. I will post more when it arrives but I thought these two gems were awesome.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Does it still have the “Chalon1” plate? Document the hell out of the resto, keep the plate on it. Legit history!
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 3 2022, 11:47 AM) *

….The chalon kit belongs on a 4 cylinder car.

I don’t get that sentiment. /4s are not respected enough even now to be kept original? Many of us here love our /4s factory stock for what they are and would not consider a body kit of any type for even a millisecond.
wonkipop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 12 2022, 04:52 PM) *

I don’t get that sentiment. /4s are not respected enough even now to be kept original? Many of us here love our /4s factory stock for what they are and would not consider a body kit of any type for even a millisecond.

agree.gif

but i do like @emerygt350 's dedication to his chalon. its a curious bit of history as well.
beerchug.gif

more recently i have developed affection for the look of the very very early 4s.
with the body painted bumpers and trim pieces. real minimalism. avante garde stuff for 69/70 when you look at what the rest of the world was doing. the sixes did not appear to have been marketed with that abrupt aesthetic lack of sentiment? (except maybe the 916s).

if i had enough spare loot i think i would like a second 914 and it would definitely be one of those early 4s.
flyer86d
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 12 2022, 07:31 PM) *

agree.gif

but i do like @emerygt350 's dedication to his chalon. its a curious bit of history as well.
beerchug.gif

more recently i have developed affection for the look of the very very early 4s.
with the body painted bumpers and trim pieces. real minimalism. avante garde stuff for 69/70 when you look at what the rest of the world was doing. the sixes did not appear to have been marketed with that abrupt aesthetic lack of sentiment? (except maybe the 916s).

if i had enough spare loot i think i would like a second 914 and it would definitely be one of those early 4s.

I agree. My sister had a 1970 non-appearance group car in Irish Green. Great look!

Charlie
emerygt350
I now appreciate the look of a stock 914, but I also like the awesomeness that is an extra 15" width and super car proportions of the chalon . How many young people (and strangely enough 60 year old women) walk up to you and say "that car is SICK!" when you pull up in your stock 914 at Wegmans? For me it is daily and surprising if it doesn't happen. There is just something about the chalon. Perhaps Porsche and narp folk may not see but dude, there is something there.

We can have both, however we can't go back. Nobody should be chaloning their 914 today. However, if you do have one, I might think about keeping it that way. Just for the 80s sake. Tastes are a fickle thing. Still a 914/6 is gonna go stock, I accept that.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
AZBanks
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 12 2022, 06:16 PM) *

There is just something about the chalon. Perhaps Porsche and narp folk may not see but dude, there is something there.

We can have both, however we can't go back. Nobody should be chaloning their 914 today. However, if you do have one, I might think about keeping it that way. Just for the 80s sake. Tastes are a fickle thing. Still a 914/6 is gonna go stock, I accept that.

All of the quarters and fenders on my project car have lots of bondo. It is easier and cheaper for me to remove them and replace them with a Chalon kit. This project is not going to be stock. It is getting an 80's engine so why not an 80's style body kit.
djway
I remember the first Chalon I ever saw was on the TV show Alice. Red and I think it also had the whale tale.
The story line was a wife got mad and sold it for twenty dollars.
Season 7 episode 14
I can't find a picture
carr914
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 12 2022, 08:16 PM) *

There is just something about the chalon. Perhaps Porsche and narp folk may not see but dude, there is something there.

agree.gif

a Chalon is about the only variation I haven't owned but I have been tempted.
wonkipop
lets face it, @emerygt350 , has the chick magnet car.

a mate of mine has a slope nose turbo that he imported from alaska more than a quarter of a century ago. doesn't have its slope nose anymore thanks to a kangaroo.
(apparently the bits are hard to get). but its still got the vented swollen rear guards.
he said the pop up headlights used to shake at night anyway.

like emery he has noted chicks of a certain age go all gooey at the sight of it.

i think the chalon is in the groove with the slope nose.
which to my way of thinking is not a bad thing.
Shivers
Imagine it's 1982, you just got a 1972 914-4 1.7 with FI (funky injection). You pull up to Alosta and Grand Ave. in Glendora, Ca. And to the left of you, making a right past you is a 350 sbc powered guards red Chalon. Sun was shining and the car was beautiful. He nods his head and rev's the crap out of it and is gone. Well for the next 10 years fought of the urge on both the body kit and the V8, but the Chalon was never far from my thoughts. If that is what you like, it's ok with me...
rgalla9146
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Jan 12 2022, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 12 2022, 07:31 PM) *

agree.gif

beerchug.gif

I agree. My sister had a 1970 non-appearance group car in Irish Green. Great look!

Charlie

No Chalon content but....
Early, simple and light with no appearance group BUT...... all added performance
features was my motto on this car.
I totally agree.... early cars are beautiful.
73-914
My opinion of a "Chalon" is if you want a 924 buy 1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.