Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: some tips I just wrote for a new 914 owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com

Read the owners manual thoroughly

purchase and read the 914 “tech tips 700” book thoroughly

when starting cold, turn the key on and off four times before cranking, you will hear the fuel pump run and stop each time. This primes the pump and injects a bit of fuel for easy starting. this is for 2.0 models only, 1.7 and 1.8 are different

If you do not hear the fuel pump run momentarily when first turning the key to the ON position, the car will not start, so do not try

ALWAYS two point shift down or up. Meaning when you shift, hesitate momentarily between gears. NO SPEED SHiFTING

When at a stop light you may find that you cannot get the 914 (or for that matter 66-71 911 or 912) in gear. Do not try to force it. Even if they are honking horns at you, just put the car in another gear and then back into first. In an extreme you may have to put it in another gear go forward a bit and then back into first. All 901 gearboxes are this way

the 914 has a cable clutch, always make sure that the pedal is all of the way up and you can shake it about a half an inch. If the pedal is down and you can pull it up the clutch cable needs adjustment. If you leave it that way the car will begin to grind in first and reverse and will damage the gearbox

Always check the oil when you fill up with REGULAR gasoline. let the car sit first and then push the dipstick all of the way down and twist to make sure it is all of the way down. If you check the oil when the engine is cold it will read too low. The engine uses 3.75 quarts of conventional oil with zinc in it, and the weight is 20w50 up where you live

when you open the door from the outside support the latch over the lock cylinder with your thumb to make sure excessive force is not put on the flap part and avoiding breaking it off

change the oil once a year, or every 3000 miles and clean the strainer basket at the same time

periodically lubricate the rear trunk hinge bracket shoulder bolt where the hinge pivots

when you close the rear trunk let it drop and then with the heal of your hand clip shut at the very rear where the reinforcement lies

If you remove the battery make sure that there is a blanket covering the rear quarter and rear deck lid or it may drip acid and discolor the paint

No slamming the doors or deck lids, everything is gentle with a 914
flipb
If it's a '74 and won't start, make sure the seatbelt is buckled.

If the trunk won't close, the roof is stowed incorrectly.
NARP74
From an editing standpoint, is the four key on off process for FI or carbs or both? Might want to spell that out.

I doubt if someone will buy your book before buying the car. Might be intimidating for a brand new owner. Put it on the what to get a new 914 owner gift list. Maybe move that lower down the list. Seems a little self serving. I Don't mean to be snarky...

Get help taking the targa top off. I have done it alone many times but it is easier and safer to remove it with help.

Drive it and have fun. The smile on your face is a great motivator to get things done.

Get connected to local resources like owners or fans. 914World is a must to join.

Check out all the sources for parts and repairs. I have used more than I can remember and I am still looking for things.

Get references for local repair shops. The talent pool and desire to work on these is fading.

Look for and treat rust weekly or monthly. Make it part of your maintenance schedule.

Wave to everyone that honks or gives you a thumbs up.
914Mels
If your electrical system seems to be out after getting into the car, check for fuses on the floor mat. If you have big feet they are easy to bump.
Jett
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 30 2021, 09:28 AM) *

If it's a '74 and won't start, make sure the seatbelt is buckled.

If the trunk won't close, the roof is stowed incorrectly.

My 75 has the same feature.
sb914
Click to view attachment most importantly!
Robarabian
Don't try to reset the odometer to 0000 when driving under any circumstances, you will destroy the internal gear that controls that function. Only when stopped.
dakotaewing
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 30 2021, 01:38 PM) *

Click to view attachment most importantly!

Make sure you get the "Premier RV" membership for the distance included in the tows -
I believe its 200 miles -

TE
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you guys are good, thank you. Just want to make sure the new owner does not immediately damage the car, too many ground out first gears and rear trunk rainbow dents for my liking. Oh if we only knew about the battery acid problem back then when the cars were new
Betty
How about: "Be prepared for people to come up and want to talk about the car every time you stop somewhere. Factor in the additional time if you actually need to get somewhere. It's all part of the fun!"

driving-girl.gif driving.gif

wonkipop
after you start it, stick your head in the engine bay and make sure its not leaking fuel anywhere. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
Remember to adjust the valves frequently. They are not "set and forget".
Jett
Turn signal light working without the key in the ignition.

Learned recently about the ~27 PSI limiting valve to protect the spare tire pressure from washer bottle use.

… If the outer door handles are becoming hard to open it is probably time to clean and lubricate the locking mechanism.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.