Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front strut color/originality
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Shackleford
Are the 914 front struts green or black when stock? Mine are black but I have seen green ones around as well.
Shivers
I'm no expert, but I believe Boge's were black. I think some may have come with Bilstein's. I believe the Bils were green at the time. Come to think of it I believe they also offered Koni's on some models, so Orange
914Sixer
914-4 came with Black Boge. In 1973 Bilstein Green gas shocks where offered.

914-6 came with Gray Boge
Shackleford
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 24 2021, 08:10 PM) *

914-4 came with Black Boge. In 1973 Bilstein Green gas shocks where offered.

914-6 came with Gray Boge

Ah. Ok thanks!
Literati914
My ‘74 parts car has black struts with green upper sleeves/hats… and I’ve seen this before on other cars. Actually I also have a set of 5-lug 3” struts that came to me the same way. Was this how they came from the factory and what inserts would they have had? I don’t believe these are the rare bilstein struts as those are ALL green if I’m not mistaken.

mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 24 2021, 09:44 PM) *

My ‘74 parts car has black struts with green upper sleeves/hats… and I’ve seen this before on other cars. Actually I also have a set of 5-lug 3” struts that came to me the same way. Was this how they came from the factory and what inserts would they have had? I don’t believe these are the rare bilstein struts as those are ALL green if I’m not mistaken.

Some Bilstein inserts came with green Bilstein top caps/dust caps.
914Sixer
Yes aftermarket used the black Boge base

Koni had Orange Top

Bilstein had Green and Yellow
Literati914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 24 2021, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 24 2021, 09:44 PM) *

Some Bilstein inserts came with green Bilstein top caps/dust caps.
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 24 2021, 09:45 PM) *

Yes aftermarket used the black Boge base

Koni had Orange Top

Bilstein had Green and Yellow

Ok so inserts would have been “ bilstein for boge struts” rather than the rare all bilstein set up.. got it, thanks.
IronHillRestorations
FWIW I had some NOS 914-6 front struts that were gray
914Sixer
Factory Bilstein"s were ALL green.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.