Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wind noise from top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave97
I have wind noise from the top. I have replaced all the seals a year ago. At freeway speeds it overpowers the radio. Any suggestions? No squeaks or rattles. Thanks. Dave
Shivers
Ahhh, well, get a bigger amp. In 93' I got rubber from AA and replaced what I could. Mine still leaked air and water at the side windows. I don't know if they ever kept water out.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Dave97 @ Nov 24 2021, 04:26 PM) *

I have wind noise from the top. Any suggestions? Thanks. Dave

Leave the top off. happy11.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 24 2021, 05:42 PM) *

And drive faster. driving.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 24 2021, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 24 2021, 05:42 PM) *

And drive faster. driving.gif

agree.gif

i have not driven my 914 with the top on for 30 years.

- it hardly rains in australia.

my top probably has wind noise to deafen me but i wouldn't know - i'm deaf from driving it with the top off.

when i don't want wind noise i drive my citroen.
930cabman
QUOTE(Shivers @ Nov 24 2021, 06:41 PM) *

Ahhh, well, get a bigger amp. In 93' I got rubber from AA and replaced what I could. Mine still leaked air and water at the side windows. I don't know if they ever kept water out.

Funny, I always figured they never kept water out also. My most recent 914 came via transport truck a few months ago on a Friday morning. Of course, I had to bring her home and that night we had a bad rain storm with tons of wind. I was tempted to cover her up in the middle of the night, but .... I woke the next morning expecting to find an inch or more of water inside, but NOT A DROP. Miracles still happen
JamesM

I have wind noise from the top. I have replaced all the seals a year ago. At freeway speeds it overpowers the radio. Any suggestions? No squeaks or rattles. Thanks. Dave

Early top or late top?

Late tops are significantly more substantial and I have always found my 73 to be a lot quitter than my 72s. Granted my 73 also has factory undercoating in addition to dynamat added by a PO, it is noticeably more comfortable/quiter inside.

I assume the factory made the later roofs heavier for a reason though.
rhodyguy
Do the windows fully contact the top and side seals when raised? What kind of shape are the front and rear top seals in? Have you tried the adjusters located at the inside front of the doors?
RARE 6
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 26 2021, 10:39 AM) *

Do the windows fully contact the top and side seals when raised? What kind of shape are the front and rear top seals in? Have you tried the adjusters located at the inside front of the doors?

This is the adjustment that will do the most to seal things up and reduce wind noise. Very little if any adjustment possible on the top itself. That said, it's an art, not a science. Don't expect pure quiet.
Dave97
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should rev it to the moon and do a “rod bolt check” and not worry about the wind noise
Just kidding
The noise is coming from the top/windshield area. I wasn’t sure if there was anything like shims or something. I’m a little afraid to really crank down on the latches.
rjames
The the noise happen after you replaced all of the seals, or was it the same before and after?
Are you sure it’s from the top and not from somewhere around the windshield itself? Was it replaced some time in the past?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.