Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil change after sitting for 14 months...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FlacaProductions
First post-Covid vaccine travel and i'm finally getting back to my 914 that's been sitting for 14 months.

The first thing I am going to do is an oil change - should I let gravity help me and do it right away, stone cold since everything should be on the bottom - or should it be warm first?

I"m going to do the tuna can install at the same time so i'll have the bottom of the sump off as well so i should get it all out either way - just wondering.

One vote on the side of doing it warm is that I'd like to take it out for a quick run to see if anything changed (read: eaten by rodents) during the hiatus that would need addressing...then deal with it all at the same time.

I'm sure I'm over-thinking...
Big Len
I would dump what you have in there cold along with the filter and replace with fresh oil/filter. Warm it up to operating temperature, then change it again, this time with the oil being hot.
infraredcalvin
Year old oil? I’d be more concerned about year old gas. Unless the oil is super dirty, I’d pull the coil wire, crank it a few times to get things lubed, then fire her up. Warm it up and then change oil and sump.
FlacaProductions
Yeah - fuel....I did fill it to the top (to avoid condensation loop) and put fuel stabilizer in before I left it - oil is just "due" anyway.
IronHillRestorations
If the oil doesn't have a lot of miles on it, I'd probably get it up to operating temp to drain it. That will get more particulates out of the engine
mlindner
Yup, I'm with Perry and Calvin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.