Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior rearview mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
I found this gem in a box of parts I bought last Sat. It's an early interior rearview mirror in very good shape, but the glass is cracked.

Can this glass be replaced? Source?

Thank you.

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 7 2021, 03:43 PM) *

I found this gem in a box of parts I bought last Sat. It's an early interior rearview mirror in very good shape, but the glass is cracked.

Can this glass be replaced? Source?

Thank you.

Click to view attachment

Possibly by a local automotive glass & mirror shop, but they're still available new & used all over, & it may not look perfect after being opened up - depending on the shop tech's skills.

It's the same mirror as used on 1960s-70s 911/912/912E/930 cars too.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cairo94507
I would bet it can be. I had a 2004 BMW M5 that had an issue with the rear view self-darkening mirror. They wanted like $500 for a new mirror. I located a place that repairs rearview mirrors on-line and they replaced the glass for about $110 dollars. That was maybe 8 years ago. I do not recall the company name and gave the receipt to the purchaser when I sold the car.
PanelBilly
I asked this same question about two weeks ago. I was told that I might be able to socten the rubber that holds the glass in by heating it in boiling water. Didn’t work.
rgalla9146
The plastic is very tough.
I ruined one in the interest of science.
It was wobbily anyway so hacked it up to see the innerds.
It must have been assembled originally as a pliable shell because there is a screw
inside that is inaccesible after the glass is installed.
The wobbily mount was easily remedied (loose screw) with the glass removed.
Immerse in boiling water to allow assembly ?
76-914
An alternative is to buy the BMW early style. They mount in the same place the center visor mount resides. They accept your current visor pegs to no modification needed. I've bought 2 from the same guy on eBay. His name is Mac. IMHO these are a major improvement over the 914 mirror because I don't see 1/2 window and 1/2 cab anymore. beerchug.gif
Montreal914
Looking for a BMW rear view mirror replacement to the 914 stock one.

Searched for "Mac" seller on Ebay, but no seller found. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.