Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting a 95 3.6 to a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jgilliam914
Converting a 95 3.6 to a 914
I’ve had the engine a few years before the air cooled engines went insane. So I am getting it off the shelf to prepare the install. I have purchased the harness adapter from Patrick Motorsports. I also have their air intake conversion. Also their Pulley system. I removed the speed control unit and A/C mounts. My questions are mainly about the electrical and vacuum systems. When I purchased the Engine from LA Dismantler’s they also sent the DME and the engine harness. When I finally got around to digging them out and matching them up to the engine I see a lot of sensor connections that have no mates. My questions are some of these not needed in this application? Or am I missing something? Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=779
552]Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Talk to Sir Andy.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 5 2021, 02:10 PM) *

Talk to Sir Andy.

And Enrique/Riquemar

I'm guessing some are for cruse control, a/c and whatever additional things are fed into the ecu. probably an check engine plug as well.
ClayPerrine
I can tell you from experience...

Picture #1. connections for the engine mounted blower motor.

Picture #4. The green plugs go to the knock sensor. the 2 pin plug with the mercedes emblem goes to the resonance flap solenoid, and the big round plug goes to the mass airflow meter.

The pictures aren't detailed enough to identify most of the wires.

Clay
Jgilliam914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 5 2021, 01:37 PM) *

I can tell you from experience...

Picture #1. connections for the engine mounted blower motor.

Picture #4. The green plugs go to the knock sensor. the 2 pin plug with the mercedes emblem goes to the resonance flap solenoid, and the big round plug goes to the mass airflow meter.

The pictures aren't detailed enough to identify most of the wires.

Clay

I can definitely add more!!
Jgilliam914
These are the attachments on the harness.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Jgilliam914
On the engine

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Big round one is (I think) the computer diagnostic plug in, sort of an early OBD connection.
I can read this with my Durametric, but it really doesn't tell you a whole lot, not like the later cars.
SirAndy
I'm pretty sure these go to the intake gadgets at the throttle body. I can snap some pics tonight.

I do remember that i also had a lot of unused connectors since i dropped a lot of the aux stuff like cruise control etc.

idea.gif

IPB Image
ClayPerrine
Here is what I know based on my 964 engine. This is definitely a 993 harness. Some of the connections are different.

IPB Image

The 4 pin round connector is the MAF sensor.
The 3 pin green connector goes to the right knock sensor
The flat 2 pin connector goes to the resonance flap vacuum solenoid.
There should be a 3 pin connector near there that goes to the throttle switch.
The other black 2 pin bosch connector is for the canister purge valve.

IPB Image

This looks like the connection for one of the ignition ignitors. But I am not sure.

IPB Image

The green one is the left knock sensor connector.

IPB Image

This is the connector to hook the DME harness to the engine harness.

IPB Image

The empty connector is the heater blower sensor. The thing plugged in is the heater blower low speed resistor. The flat plug hooks to the heater blower motor. You don't need any them.

That is the stuff that I think I know what they are for. If you send me your email, I have a 993 wiring diagram that has all the DME stuff in it.

Clay
bahnzai
Hi Jerry,
One important thing you need to look at, while your at it, is the Engine harness (the one that has the major supply and ground wires for the alternator). There was a recall by Porsche on these 1995 units in the early 2000's. Their supplier used the wrong material in the wire insulation. After a few years it would become brittle and flake off like plaster, with disastrous results!! Peel back the the rubber harness cover to look for it.
I ordered a Factory replacement last year from Sunset Porsche for $117. Part number :000-043-204-61 Harness Repair Kit (it is listed as a repair kit, but is actually a complete new Porsche harness).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
added a couple if pictures of how bad the original harness was...I was totally clueless. I had been driving the car a few years, got caught out in a heavy rain, then started get tons of random electrical issues that I could not find or trace, that made no sense.
bahnzai
Clay has ID'd several there. I will add a few pictures to show the connectors plugged on the motor, and a string of connectors not used. Notice the the injector plugs are color coded according to cylinders on each bank.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Left bank injectors
Click to view attachment
right bank injectors
Click to view attachment
plugs not used
Click to view attachment
plugs not used
Click to view attachment
plug not used
Click to view attachment
right side -green knock sensor, white-head temp sensor
Click to view attachment
ignition module
bahnzai
One last bit of info that helped me ID harness plug/components
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jgilliam914
Many Thanks!!! This should get me on to the next project!!
bahnzai
Jerry, good luck moving forward. Most everything on my engine was still left from 1995. While I had it out chasing the harness, I went ahead and replaced the drive belt on the dual distributor. Also had the fuel injectors rebuilt, Rockauto was pretty economical, around $30 each. I think I found the factor plug wire set there too (relatively economical, but still pricey due to twin plug double the wires).
I will be glad to hear how you like the engine in the 914? With fuel injection and hydraulic lifters, it is pretty much trouble free.
Jgilliam914
I think I have most of the electrical sorted out but I have a issue of getting these 2 connectors matched up..

..Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
I can't help with that one. That plug is not on a 964, only a 993.

Clay
mepstein
Does PMS have an adaptor?
Jgilliam914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 24 2021, 12:04 PM) *

Does PMS have an adaptor?

Probably at a astronomical price LOL ..., I will check with them
bahnzai
Jerry, not sure if this picture helps? I remember struggling to figure out how to open the retainer clip...that would keep the plugs from going together if it is still engage/closed as in your picture
Click to view attachment
Jgilliam914
I will check it out today. The plastic can be so brittle that I hate to force anything
Thanks Danny
Jgilliam914
You sly German Engineers!!!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I am sure they had a good reason to add a Deutche connector different than any others??
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Feb 25 2021, 06:40 AM) *
I am sure they had a good reason to add a Deutche connector different than any others??

They lock together much better?

I remember that those had me stumped for a few minutes as well ...
biggrin.gif

PS: In that context, deutsche would be lowercase and yes, there is a s before the ch. "Der deutsche Verbindungsstecker"

bahnzai
“You sly German Engineers!!! “

Too funny! The whole reason I had that picture, was to remind myself later, how the connector came apart. I spent quite a while trying to figure out how to separate the halves without destroying the connector smile.gif

Once you see it open, it makes perfect sense...
Jgilliam914
Damn bi-focals they were not strong enough to see that it came apart. Once I took them off I could see it much more clearly. Getting older isn’t for pussies!!
Jgilliam914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 25 2021, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Feb 25 2021, 06:40 AM) *

They lock together much better?

I remember that those had me stumped for a few minutes as well ...
biggrin.gif

PS: In that context, deutsche would be lowercase and yes, there is a s before the ch. "Der deutsche Verbindungsstecker"

Sorry for butchering your native Language. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.