Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Three 8mm bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mcraneiowa
Hey guys I am putting back together my 1.8. I had some oil leaks and being roughly a 50 year old car, thought the engine could use some new seals and gaskets. So I took the engine down to the point of removing and powder coating the tins, replaced tube seals, new front and rear engine seals, new temp bellows, hooked back up the flaps, etc... Just to give you an idea of how far this went. Also replaced the flywheel, clutch, seal, etc.

I thought I had done a good job of marking everything and placing into baggies but ended up with a baggie of three black 8mm bolts about 1 1/4” long. They are the same approximate size of the exhaust bolts but already had that baggie with the exhaust gaskets and all six bolts. The fan is complete and bolted down. My only other thought is the air fan housing by the oil cooler as It has three holes and fit 8mm bolts. I used one hole to mount the oil cooler bracket and same spot for the wire holder instead of the lower opening. They fit there but I think they are to long to thread all the way in.
Just looking to see what anyone has a thought on where they might go. Or if they were already in the trunk when I started putting parts in there and now it leaves me guessing as they weren’t marked.Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
Couple of observations....they go through something thick--half the length is clean. Also they are pristine, no rust. Looks like two have loctite residue or went into aluminum...
bdstone914
I dont think they are original. I dont know of any bolts of that size in black oxide.
KELTY360
You know that gremlin that steals single socks out of your dryer? Those same tricksters snuck those bolts into your stash to befuddle you. happy11.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 16 2021, 04:50 PM) *

I dont think they are original. I dont know of any bolts of that size in black oxide.

Also, those looks like wave washers--also not original?
Mcraneiowa
Thanks guys. I can relate to the sock gremlins. I appreciate your thoughts. If they were a bit shorter, I’d think they would be used n the fan shroud right side near the oil cooler location. I’ll hang on to them but for the life of me just couldn’t think what I had missed. I don’t want to be the guy that tears something down and when put back together has enough parts left over to build a Thor one.
By the way here is after it was cleaned up and ready to go back in.Click to view attachment
TX914
Could be the transmission mount bolts. They are M8x20. But why just three?
Arno914
Drivetrain looks great! smile.gif

The bolts might be from the fan housing? Just a guess...
rgalla9146
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 16 2021, 06:50 PM) *

I agree, most specific OE bolts have shoulders. And not typically black oxide
Al Meredith
bolts like that are used on the oil cooler side of the fan shroud to support the oil cooler and the bract for an AC compressor .
914Sixer
Cooling hub bolts. Early dome cooling fans used 12 pt allen head, late flat fans used hex head bolts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.