Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauging Interest - GT Front / Rear Valance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Those members that may have seen my project thread recently may recall that this last summer I had a HELL of a time working with a set of front, rear and side-valences. I don't want to speak poorly, but let's just say after digging in to this portion of a modification / restoration, I came to the conclusion the product could have been produced much better.

As we have FRP capability in-house from the manufacture of our driving and racing simulators, I would now like to offer sets of these to the 914 community. Unique to this product, is the ability to mount the front valance to the car body using 2x studs, making the installation, removal and adjustment much easier than the stock-setup. Additionally, the rear valance is pre-cut and setup for dual-exhaust using the same dimension and shape as the stock rear valance.

What I can guarantee from the end-product...
- Superior quality and materials
- On-time production and delivery
- A great product, requiring significantly less work and a better fit-and-finish

I've attached a few photos of the modeling process and we are currently making molds, with the first pieces expected in the next few days. Eager to get feedback from the community, and look forward to any comments. bye1.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
racerbvd
Subbed beer3.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 12 2021, 04:14 PM) *

Unique to this product, is the ability to mount the front valance to the car body itself, making the installation and removal much easier than the stock-setup.

I have yet to see a valance that doesn't mount to the body, and stock has always mounted to the body. Did you get one with the tabs cut/broken off?
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 12 2021, 09:28 PM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 12 2021, 04:14 PM) *

Unique to this product, is the ability to mount the front valance to the car body itself, making the installation and removal much easier than the stock-setup.

I have yet to see a valance that doesn't mount to the body, and stock has always mounted to the body. Did you get one with the tabs cut/broken off?

Front mounts to the body, rear to the bumper. Looking good. beerchug.gif
Montreal914
Rear mounts to the bumper??? blink.gif

Not the one on my car...
BillJ
Can you please elaborate on the attachment design and specifically which options you are planning to supply? Interest in developing quality parts is always welcome in my book!
Chris914n6
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 12 2021, 06:36 PM) *

rear to the bumper.

We'd like to see a pic of that poke.gif
rhodyguy
dry.gif
eric9144
GT rockers are usually garbage from what I've seen, would love to see some good options out there!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 12 2021, 10:07 PM) *

rear to the bumper.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think @mepstein meant to say rear to the body - front to the bumper.

---

The units I started off with was pretty bad. You can see in my original post that we had to actually widen the front significantly, flair-out the ends, top off the edge meeting the wheel-wells, etc. All this before we actually started 'shaping'.

While some body work to the valances is expected when adding flairs (every car is, by nature, going to be slightly different) I found that the amount of work going into the pieces to be pretty ridiculous. For members that don't have a 'body-guy' and a 'fiberglass guy' on staff, this is going to be cost prohibitive when you consider a $60-$90 per hour rate.

I'm not sure how other manufactures produce and mount the unit, but the current design we are working on has the Front valance mounting to the body. Two M8 'studs' will insert below a new-hole drilled just below the holes to mount the from-bumper (jig/template will be provided with the piece).

Click to view attachment

RiqueMar
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jan 13 2021, 09:43 AM) *

GT rockers are usually garbage from what I've seen, would love to see some good options out there!

Hey @eric9144 - GT rockers coming next!

The units we'll be producing actually have a larger top-lip so that the rocker better lines up with the flares and fenders. I've notice previously that on some cars, the rockers seem to be inset, or don't exactly match-up with the various curves.

Additionally, on these models, customers will notice that we've given significant attention to detail on the ends, with a smooth curve wrapping underneath the panel that will blend in nicely with the flares and wheel well. Again, while all GT cars and projects are different, and some bodywork is expected, I think the community will find these a great fit to any car.

Attached, a few 'behind-the-scenes' shots....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
There's you problem... you factory spoiler screw holes are covered in bedliner crap.

The inset rocker covers are factory. They bug me too but hey its 70s style. I think the flush fit you are going for will look good.

The factory chassis jigs weren't that good, then add hand fitting flares, you will never get perfect fit flared rockers to customers. It will only be 'good enough'.

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 13 2021, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 12 2021, 10:07 PM) *

rear to the bumper.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think @mepstein meant to say rear to the body - front to the bumper.

---

The units I started off with was pretty bad. You can see in my original post that we had to actually widen the front significantly, flair-out the ends, top off the edge meeting the wheel-wells, etc. All this before we actually started 'shaping'.

While some body work to the valances is expected when adding flairs (every car is, by nature, going to be slightly different) I found that the amount of work going into the pieces to be pretty ridiculous. For members that don't have a 'body-guy' and a 'fiberglass guy' on staff, this is going to be cost prohibitive when you consider a $60-$90 per hour rate.

I'm not sure how other manufactures produce and mount the unit, but the current design we are working on has the Front valance mounting to the body. Two M8 'studs' will insert below a new-hole drilled just below the holes to mount the from-bumper (jig/template will be provided with the piece).

mepstein
Enrique - what ever you charge will be worth it to the person who doesn’t want to do major glass work. Most buyers of fiberglass parts don’t realize cutting the bumpers into pieces and glassing back to fit is the norm, no matter what company you buy from.
Cairo94507
Just for the record, I do not believe either valance, front or rear, attaches to the bumper. unsure.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 13 2021, 12:28 PM) *

There's you problem... you factory spoiler screw holes are covered in bedliner crap.

The inset rocker covers are factory. They bug me too but hey its 70s style. I think the flush fit you are going for will look good.

The factory chassis jigs weren't that good, then add hand fitting flares, you will never get perfect fit flared rockers to customers. It will only be 'good enough'.

@Chris914n6 - First and foremost, thanks for the input!See what you're saying. Note, original screw holes are still there just covered by the red-circle in the graphic. Factory method aside, believe this to be a better way to mount and adjust the front valance, more on that in my response to Bill below.

@BillJ - To your question: Like the bumper, this method will allow the front valance to be adjusted to maintain the gaps between the bumper and chassis, by loosening/tightening a nut on the inside of the fender; Easier and better than screwing, IMHO. As to the rear valance, this piece would mount in the same way as the stock unit, and has cut-out for dual-exhaust, with a nice lip on both. In the future, would love to create both a single-exhaust unit for flared cars, as well as a Dual-exhaust 914/6 flared valance.

As for the inset vs. flush look; I can find references to both. Further complicating the matter, it's hard to tell from more recent HD photos which cars (Factory flares / GT's) have been restored and which are original and un-touched. People more knowledgable than I on the subject can chime in, however if someone prefers a 'flush look' they won't have to add the 1/2" of lip (and hours of labor) if you purchase these.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 13 2021, 01:38 PM) *

Just for the record, I do not believe either valance, front or rear, attaches to the bumper. unsure.gif

@Cairo94507 @Chris914n6 @mepstein @BillJ - Thanks for the clarification, have modified the original post. All your input is welcome, and can only make products offered on and through this site better!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 13 2021, 12:56 PM) *

Enrique - what ever you charge will be worth it to the person who doesn’t want to do major glass work. Most buyers of fiberglass parts don’t realize cutting the bumpers into pieces and glassing back to fit is the norm, no matter what company you buy from.

Completely agree. I remember as the guys entered the third-weekend of work on the project thinking to myself, "How does anyone afford this?"

For those reading along, including a few more photos of the rear valance that I snapped before going off to finishing / mold work... bye1.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
Factory bits since your car has been molested. Screws thru body into spoiler and a bolt+washer/rubber spacer/washer+nut at the fender.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

broken tab...
IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Hi Everyone! bye1.gif

Update on this project, we now have molds! Additionally, after reflecting on the feedback from members on the site (thank you all, it can only make the end-product better) I have decided to incorporate a second mounting tab suitable for a car with a cooler cut-out. Should the customer not want this, we will remove it at no-charge, and the piece can be mounted as in my original photos at the beginning of the thread.

Further, I'm happy to say that purchasing these units, you will be receiving a superior product. Many product producers simply lay-down a fiberglass sheet and glass it in with resin, or use a 'chop' machine. Our process relies on a product that is hand-laid in different portions and multiple layers, and stays in the mold longer for a better end-result.

You might ask, "But Enrique, why is this hand laid process better?". The reason is two-fold...
1) Hand-laying the material allows the fiberglass to interlock more tightly, creating a stronger and more durable product that is less susceptible to warp over time, in different temperature ranges and different conditions. Additionally, there are significantly less imperfections on the out-side portion, as opposed to a 'sprayed' method that may have air-bubbles that need to be filled in.
2) Hand-laying fiberglass in parts also allows it to cure properly, as the product will heat-up as it catalyzes. The end result, is a better, more uniform end product that will need significantly less adjustment, bodywork, and headaches.

I plan on offering an initial run of these at $175.00 a piece for the front or rear, or $340.00 for the set, plus shipping. Stay tuned, rockers coming soon. aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
pencap914
I'm definitely interested in this. It will be a while until my car is ready for rocker covers and valences though... sad.gif
Gearup
I am very interested as well.
racer914
Interested in these too!
theer
I’d be interested in a front valance!
porsche914gt
interested for sure
Mitox
Add one more to the interested list
Cairo94507
@RiqueMar - That looks like a very nice product at a good price point. beerchug.gif
JRust
Sign me up Rique! I only have a singe rear exhaust though & it's a larger tip than common. Can I get one without Exhaust cutouts? Just be easier to cut mine exactly where I need it.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 25 2021, 12:54 PM) *

Sign me up Rique! I only have a singe rear exhaust though & it's a larger tip than common. Can I get one without Exhaust cutouts? Just be easier to cut mine exactly where I need it.

Hi @JRust - If I understand correctly, you're looking for the valance and you will cut the indentations for the exhaust exists yourself? bye1.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 26 2021, 10:46 AM) *

Hi @JRust - If I understand correctly, you're looking for the valance and you will cut the indentations for the exhaust exists yourself? bye1.gif

From a business perspective that makes more sense. I don't know of any off-the-shelf 914 muffler with 2 outlets in stock and mirror locations.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 26 2021, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 26 2021, 10:46 AM) *

From a business perspective that makes more sense. I don't know of any off-the-shelf 914 muffler with 2 outlets in stock and mirror locations.

one- Triad dual tip, the right side/passenger location is exact mirror to the stock location on left. he does a dual tip with right side hidden facing down due to the lack of valences i think , but i had mine made with dual out and valence custom modified , that was 10 years ago, and it looks great. - any way just wanted people to know Dave at Triad west does several versions, and with someone making a valance that ould work with the dual out muffler i bet this is a win win for dave and the valance maker.
timothy_nd28
I'm in for a front!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.