Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel line replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moe
I have a carb'd 74 2.0, is copper tubing an acceptable material to replace the fuel lines in the tunnel?
Coondog
QUOTE(moe @ Jun 2 2020, 12:17 PM) *

I have a carb'd 74 2.0, is copper tubing an acceptable material to replace the fuel lines in the tunnel?

Lots of Rat Rods running Copper fuel lines for that old school look. 914 fuel lines are never seen. My Question is WHY ?

Tangerine racing has pre-bent SS lines for a very reasonable price. Save your self the hassle buy SS lines.
moe
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jun 2 2020, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(moe @ Jun 2 2020, 12:17 PM) *

Lots of Rat Rods running Copper fuel lines for that old school look. 914 fuel lines are never seen. My Question is WHY ?

Tangerine racing has pre-bent SS lines for a very reasonable price. Save your self the hassle buy SS lines.

The only reason why is my mechanic tells me he's replaced several over the years with copper. That is the only reason, i have not heard of anyone doing it with copper before. He is a 40 year Porsche mechanic and i trust his abilities. Thanks for the response
twistedstang
I would be nervous about kinking soft copper while fishing it through the tunnel. Especially if it was just enough to starve you at high rpms.
Mark Henry
I wouldn't, the biggest fear I would have is if the copper line is just sitting in the tunnel, it's likely sitting in rust dust. Steel and copper doesn't get along together. If was totally suspended with copper or plastic covered hanger/clamps with proper grommets it might be OK... But why would you do that?

Original or SS lines is all I'd trust .
SS kits often have a return line, but you only need one line for carb, so if you don't see one just ask for a single line.
Rand
Copper is soft. Stainless is way stronger. Just use what is proven. Not like price is an issue. Especially when you can buy pre-bent lines in a kit ready to install from a known reputable vendor.
moe
Thank you all for the advice. I will go with the proven SS lines. Thanks Again!
porschetub
I used truck metal brake line for the front area,easy to bend with the correct tool which I had,strong and won't rust.
I wouldn't use copper in this situation.
Big Len
Has anyone replaced the original plastic fuel line with new original plastic fuel line?
bkrantz
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jun 2 2020, 04:48 PM) *

Has anyone replaced the original plastic fuel line with new original plastic fuel line?

I did that with a different 914 back in the 90s. A very frustrating job.
porschetub
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jun 3 2020, 10:48 AM) *

I used Mk4 Golf plastic line with the correct internal ferrules,I suppose you could still get the original tube ,I used the VW line as it is very durable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.