Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
Good morning everyone! Can anyone provide recommendations for companies that build headers for 914/4's? Other than Tangerine Racing, who else do you recommend?
mepstein
MSDS
Marty is a member here
https://www.msdsinc.com/exhaust.html
sjhenry1075
Thank you for the recommendation Mepstein. Would you happen to know Marty's user name?
mepstein
Maltese Falcon

He's the guy who just purchased the 914-6GT that ran LeMans so you can be assured he knows what he's doing with 914's. - And a super nice guy.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 1 2020, 10:18 AM) *

Maltese Falcon

He's the guy who just purchased the 914-6GT that ran LeMans so you can be assured he knows what he's doing with 914's. - And a super nice guy.

Awesome, thank you! I'm definitely going to contact him!
eric9144
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jun 1 2020, 07:20 AM) *

Maltese Falcon

Paging @Maltese Falcon beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
2nd for Marty...but I am sitting here looking at a 1-3/4" tangerine system on my wall drooley.gif

Still have to find a home for it. rolleyes.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 1 2020, 02:26 PM) *

QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jun 1 2020, 07:20 AM) *

Maltese Falcon

Paging @Maltese Falcon beerchug.gif

DM sent to O/P...thanks guys !!
Marty
Tdskip
Just another recommendation for Marty
Maury4
I have Chris Foley's header with heat. Very happy with it.

Rick
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(Maury4 @ Jun 2 2020, 09:17 AM) *

I have Chris Foley's header with heat. Very happy with it.

Rick

Tangerine Racing is definitely on the list, I just wasn't sure who else was out there. I'm not interested in having heat, I actually would like to remove all parts for heat. I never intend to drive it in cold weather.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 1 2020, 05:55 PM) *

2nd for Marty...but I am sitting here looking at a 1-3/4" tangerine system on my wall drooley.gif

Still have to find a home for it. rolleyes.gif

Got a couple PM's about my tangerine system, sorry it's not for sale and if it was I'd list it in the for sale section. It will likely end up in the wife's or my sons 914.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
MSDS

QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jun 1 2020, 06:58 AM) *

Good morning everyone! Can anyone provide recommendations for companies that build headers for 914/4's? Other than Tangerine Racing, who else do you recommend?

Rikyrat
Bought a set of MSDS -- Marty's company.
Ordered them the Friday before Memorial Day, and they showed up last Friday, spent the weekend priming and painting, ready to install.

He even welded in a o2 bung for me, at no cost.

Can't wait to hear it run, maybe tomorrow evening, it will freak the neighbors out,cu I ain't got no muffler yet.

I was thinking of taking a cruise up to see Billy Boat, and see what he can do. He bent a J-Pipe and complete exhaust for my Acura T/L and man did that make a difference. Only thing he ain't cheap. But what the heck, you gotta pay for quality.

Mention 914world to Marty and he will give you a 10pct disc. covered the shipping from LA to Phoenix.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(Rikyrat @ Jun 2 2020, 10:20 PM) *

Bought a set of MSDS -- Marty's company.
Ordered them the Friday before Memorial Day, and they showed up last Friday, spent the weekend priming and painting, ready to install.

He even welded in a o2 bung for me, at no cost.

Can't wait to hear it run, maybe tomorrow evening, it will freak the neighbors out,cu I ain't got no muffler yet.

I was thinking of taking a cruise up to see Billy Boat, and see what he can do. He bent a J-Pipe and complete exhaust for my Acura T/L and man did that make a difference. Only thing he ain't cheap. But what the heck, you gotta pay for quality.

Mention 914world to Marty and he will give you a 10pct disc. covered the shipping from LA to Phoenix.

Very nice! Can you post a video of it running once you get it started? Who is Billy Boat?
Rikyrat
I will do that.

Billy Boat is a high performance exhaust system builder, he is based here in Phoenix.
Builds some really cool exhaust systems. Started out building 911 systems, but now builds for many cars.

maf914
Besides building exhaust systems, Billy Boat was also a USAC and Indy Racing League (IRL) driver.
9one4tay
I installed an MSDS T4 header a few weeks ago, looks and sounds awesome! Marty is the man!
mepstein
I’ll have more 914-4 sport mufflers in about a week. $550
Stainless steel, hand made in Wisconsin.
mb911
QUOTE(Rikyrat @ Jun 4 2020, 06:41 AM) *

I will do that.

Billy Boat is a high performance exhaust system builder, he is based here in Phoenix.
Builds some really cool exhaust systems. Started out building 911 systems, but now builds for many cars.

Billy Boat moved out east years ago and believe he has since passed. Some of his former employees still are making some of the products. They likely make the worst -6 heat exchangers ever made as they don't produce heat in southern CA smile.gif don't know if they make anything for the 4cyl..

I am seriously considering making 4cyl heat exchangers.
Maltese Falcon
From a couple of our hot rod T4 clients,
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Installed with a " Spintech" brand muffler,
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
This installation using a compact Turbo muffler by " Magnaflow",
Click to view attachment
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 5 2020, 09:11 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Very nice! How much do the mufflers cost? Do you make those as well? 2 for 1? Haha..
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jun 5 2020, 07:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 5 2020, 09:11 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Very nice! How much do the mufflers cost? Do you make those as well? 2 for 1? Haha..

We build the racing headers only; you may use a muffler manufactured by dozens of brands available to suit your particular requirements; sound level, back pressure, single or dual outlet (s).
Our T4 system does come with a "Starter-cone" kit , which will give your muffler tech a transition point --- to start his fabrication .
mb911
Would love to make a proper muffler for Marty's headers.
Charles Freeborn
http://www.gt-racing.com/porsche-914-europ...art-914-4-158h/
mb911
745 for that. Hmm
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 5 2020, 07:49 PM) *

Ben I will run that by my clients as an excellent alternative to the standard mufflers out there. You will initally need a donor car to get your prototype built ...so dM me with your contact #s and location, see if we can send you someone close by smile.gif
Marty
Larmo63
Uh, Marty is a really good guy too. He delivered my headers personally to me in Hollywood.

Who does that these days?
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 5 2020, 11:55 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 5 2020, 07:49 PM) *

Ben I will run that by my clients as an excellent alternative to the standard mufflers out there. You will initally need a donor car to get your prototype built ...so dM me with your contact #s and location, see if we can send you someone close by smile.gif
Marty

I’d be happy to be the first “donor car”, unfortunately, I live in MD.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 5 2020, 11:25 PM) *

745 for that. Hmm

https://www.msdsinc.com/exhaust.html

$583 for a Highly recommended MSDS header for a 1.7 914..
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 5 2020, 09:04 PM) *

Uh, Marty is a really good guy too. He delivered my headers personally to me in Hollywood.

Personal service Lawrence, a good chat and new friendship, something you don't get filling up your shopping cart online !
Nojoah
For anyone running the MSDS header, which muffler did you pair it with for street use? Any suggestions other than those stated above for an aggressive, yet refined sound? Considering headers as an alternative to replacing with SS heat exchangers.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(Nojoah @ Jun 6 2020, 06:28 PM) *

For anyone running the MSDS header, which muffler did you pair it with for street use? Any suggestions other than those stated above for an aggressive, yet refined sound? Considering headers as an alternative to replacing with SS heat exchangers.

You literally posted exactly what I was going to post.
Nojoah
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jun 6 2020, 07:13 PM) *

You literally posted exactly what I was going to post.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=339832

Just found this previous thread. Has some good information about mufflers.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 6 2020, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 5 2020, 09:04 PM) *

Personal service Lawrence, a good chat and new friendship, something you don't get filling up your shopping cart online !

I made a quip about my MSDS /6 headers not having the MSDS badge, Marty offered to ship me two badges for free. I didn't take Marty up on it only because I'd never weld them on my already ceramic coated /6 headers.

The MSDS headers are a pure joy to work with, no fuching around lining up the ports/studs. I just had to remove one header for a Rothsport oil inlet check valve install, I didn't have to remove my muffler and the header slipped off/on with zero fighting. I've fought with my share of ill fitting headers, so this R&R was an easy job with none of the usual swearing.
Rikyrat
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 5 2020, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Rikyrat @ Jun 4 2020, 06:41 AM) *

I will do that.

Billy Boat moved out east years ago and believe he has since passed. Some of his former employees still are making some of the products. They likely make the worst -6 heat exchangers ever made as they don't produce heat in southern CA smile.gif don't know if they make anything for the 4cyl..

I am seriously considering making 4cyl heat exchangers.

I think you're wrong about that. He moved the complete operation to S Carolina, but he did that in October of last year, from what I was told, by his mother, is that after his brother mike died, he got tired of going back and forth between Phoenix and S. Carolina. The rest of his family - children - were in SC.
How do I know this, well, the other day, I went up to where his plant is here in Phx. and was surprised to find it basically empty, they kept the building, and leased it out to a couple of companies, I think one of the is Rhino liners, as I saw a truck with their logo on the side, and it was mentioned.

No he is alive and kicking, and still making exhaust systems. As a matter of fact, I sent him a diagram of what I need for my teener, using the MSDS header, which is being ceramic coated, and will be ready Monday. I had painted it, but was not happy with the finish, so I took it to desert powder coating, and had it ceramic coated.

What I can say is that when I fired it up Sat nite, that puppy sounded cool, it was loud, no muffler, just wide open, and let the engine rev right to redline, I think it would have kept going, but the rev limiter kicked in.

My pushrod repair did not go as expected, still leaking oil, so I had to take it off, so I thought what the heck, get it done right. As, for my pushrod tube leak, call it a keyboard nut error, when I changed the seals, last week, I did not seat the #2 intake tube, at all. I thought I did, but when I dropped the engine down to install new tubes and seals, I found that the tube was just sitting there. Silly me.

Well it's off to the races today for me. Gonna get the new tubes installed, and get the motor back in, so that when my pipe is ready so am I.

Speaking of dropping the motor, I know this is rambling, but what do expect for nothing, "rubber biscuits", I got it down in about 20 mins, I got a Harbor Freight, trans jack, the cheap one, with a screw lift, and what can I say. That thing made a world of difference, just put it und the engine, tighten the safety strap around it, and lower away.

Have a nice day
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.