Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914s for newbies ep 03 is up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
In this episode we look at some specialized tools and put a wheel on straight.

Thanks so much to everyone who subscribed. That's the best way to show that these videos are helping the 914 community and worth the effort!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZYoDtQu5xU
krazykonrad
beerchug.gif Thanks for making these videos. They are awesome!
bbrock
Goes to show there is always something to learn. I've owned 1 or more 914s for 38 years and had never seen the wheel hanger before. thumb3d.gif
jagalyn
Very informative... and very professional. Nice job.
tvdinnerbythepool
Awesome!
The wheel hangar is so cool! And I dig that oil filter wrench.
Keep these videos coming!
JawjaPorsche
Very Cool! Who makes the 914 wheel hanger?
FourBlades

Love the channel! first.gif

Keep the videos coming. beerchug.gif

This may get some younger people who like watching videos instead of reading forums interested.

John
Andyrew
1k subs!!!! Congrats!!
Another great video!
iankarr
Woo hoo!

Glad people are digging these. They’re made for newbies, but there’s always something new to learn. Especially for the producer smile.gif

I’ve put links to the wheel hanger and the other tools in the video description. You may have to click on “show more” to reveal them...
anderssj
Another great video! Please keep up the good work. pray.gif

Another oil filter wrench that works well for our cars:

Click to view attachment

I think the wrench is an old Lisle part. Twist in on clockwise and the spring part expands over the filter. Twist it off (counterclockwise) and the spring tightens and the filter unscrews. I've had this for over 30 years, so not sure if Lisle still makes them...but have seen a few at swap meets.

And a wheel hanger (and lug bolt cap "tweezer"):

Click to view attachment

Wheel hanger (left) found in the trunk of a wrecked Audi; I've found 4 or 5 of these in wrecking yards so far--the yard guys usually says "take it" or charges me a buck. Using two hangers makes installing the wheel even easier.

VW part number is 893012223--but it's around $10, so if you can't salvage one or two, I'd spring for the metal one as shown in the video.

Thanks again for the video!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 16 2020, 07:44 PM) *

Goes to show there is always something to learn. I've owned 1 or more 914s for 38 years and had never seen the wheel hanger before. thumb3d.gif

av-943.gif wheel hanger for is for babies. 14" and 15" 914 wheels are light and a cinch to install witout one once you have the right technique.

But . . . I'm getting old. Maybe not so bad. happy11.gif Would be especially useful for modern Audi's, Bimmers, etc running 19" and 20" wheels. Those Fuchers are heavy and the wheel hanger would be useful at work!
sb914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 18 2020, 07:39 AM) *

av-943.gif wheel hanger for is for babies. 14" and 15" 914 wheels are light and a cinch to install witout one once you have the right technique. !

I’d rather use my brain rather then my brawn!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(sb914 @ Jan 18 2020, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 18 2020, 07:39 AM) *

av-943.gif wheel hanger for is for babies. 14" and 15" 914 wheels are light and a cinch to install witout one once you have the right technique. !

I’d rather use my brain rather then my brawn!

That is where the technique comes into play. Keep wheel just barely off the ground when jacking. Orient a wheel hub & lug at the 12 o'clock position. Orient wheel and tire the same with a lug nut hole at 12 o'clock.

Place wheel/tire on just the tip of your toe. Easy to adjust height as you thread in a lug. Now it hangs just like on a wheel hanger. Ta Da!. I've also seen it done using the lug wrench as a lever arm and a screwdriver as the fulcrum. Once the lug 12 o'clock lug is threaded, now you use the lug wrench to tighten.

No using your back or arms to get the wheel positioned. Easy.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the wheel hanger idea but as @Bbrock pointed out, many of us probably have our own special technique and have been changing wheels without a wheel hanger for years. Definately a nice tool to have, but, not a necessary tool. For those lucky enough to have a hoist, the wheel hanger is a bit more necessary if you want to hang the wheel at toro height. I get it I honestly do.

Either way, cheers to Ian for another great video.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.