Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Really cool valve adjustment system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Now snapgap.us is selling valve adjustment kits for VW/type 4 engines. Check out their products. Really cool stuff. I’m not affiliated in any way.
PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif That's awesome. Those would make things easier.
PeeGreen 914
$175 for the set? Seems like a decent deal. On the 914-6 with headers the valves are all easy enough to get to, but on a 911 or 914-6 with heat exchangers this would be amazing.

911/914-6 valve adjustment kit
bdstone914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 8 2019, 09:24 AM) *

Now snapgap.us is selling valve adjustment kits for VW/type 4 engines. Check out their products. Really cool stuff. I’m not affiliated in any way.

But they only have them for 7mm screws and only 1.7L engines had them originally.
Bruce
IronHillRestorations
I don't know if I want any more fasteners in the valve train, than the factory used. Do you really want extra weight in the valve train?
mepstein
There's a long thread on Pelican and one of the concerns is weight. I'm sure the system isn't perfect in every respect but after doing a lot of reading on the pros and cons, it seems like a real benefit to the average DIY guy who has done it rarely or never and wants to get a good result.
914forme
Neat idea, and sound in design. If it was built out of Titanium you would not have to worry about valve train weight differences.
djway
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 8 2019, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 8 2019, 09:24 AM) *

But they only have them for 7mm screws and only 1.7L engines had them originally.
Bruce

Did you mean 8mm? That is the size listed on the site
ClayPerrine
Exactly what does this system supposed to do? A valve adjustment screw is a simple thing. Why make it more complicated????

SNAPGAP
Thought I would jump in here. I am the developer of the SNAPGAP system. To answer a few of the questions posed:

1. We only have kits that fit on 8 mm adjustment screws. We may expand later to 10 mm.

2. SNAPGAP is a new and patented system for adjusting valves in aircooled engines. It provides quick and highly accurate adjustments without the guess work of a feeler gauge or the inaccuracies introduced when the OEM jam nut is tightened down.

3. We have extensively evaluated titanium parts and have decided that on engines that run short of 10,000 RPM, the small additional weight on the valve train makes no difference -- especially with the geometry of the Porsche rocker arms.

I know that some folks will stick with other methods -- including the feeler gauge. For those who don't like the other methods or want to try something new, we have several videos on our site that explain how and why SNAPGAP works, plus some demonstration videos of adjustments in the engine and -- one showing a one-handed adjustment in 1 minute and 10 sec. accurate to exactly 0.10 mm.My Webpage Click to view attachment
Ansbacher
What's next, an automatic shoe lace tier ??

Ansbacher
SNAPGAP
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Oct 9 2019, 10:27 AM) *

Ansbacher

I'm on it!!!!

SNAPGAP
mepstein
QUOTE(SNAPGAP @ Oct 9 2019, 11:09 AM) *

Thought I would jump in here. I am the developer of the SNAPGAP system. To answer a few of the questions posed:

1. We only have kits that fit on 8 mm adjustment screws. We may expand later to 10 mm.

2. SNAPGAP is a new and patented system for adjusting valves in aircooled engines. It provides quick and highly accurate adjustments without the guess work of a feeler gauge or the inaccuracies introduced when the OEM jam nut is tightened down.

3. We have extensively evaluated titanium parts and have decided that on engines that run short of 10,000 RPM, the small additional weight on the valve train makes no difference -- especially with the geometry of the Porsche rocker arms.

I know that some folks will stick with other methods -- including the feeler gauge. For those who don't like the other methods or want to try something new, we have several videos on our site that explain how and why SNAPGAP works, plus some demonstration videos of adjustments in the engine and -- one showing a one-handed adjustment in 1 minute and 10 sec. accurate to exactly 0.10 mm.My Webpage Click to view attachment

welcome.png beerchug.gif
Ansbacher
QUOTE(SNAPGAP @ Oct 9 2019, 01:02 PM) *

Ansbacher

I'm on it!!!!

SNAPGAP

!
Tell me when you perfect one. My back is killing me! drooley.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(SNAPGAP @ Oct 9 2019, 11:02 AM) *

Ansbacher

I'm on it!!!!

SNAPGAP

Is your T-handle torque device available separate ??...its simple @10nm
SNAPGAP
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 9 2019, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(SNAPGAP @ Oct 9 2019, 11:02 AM) *

Ansbacher

I'm on it!!!!

SNAPGAP

Is your T-handle torque device available separate ??...its simple @10nm

Sure, but you can get those from many on line bike shops in a variety of torques. Mine are supplied by PrestaCycle. PrestaCycle also offers them with a single wrench that has multiple settings. If you still want just a 10Nm, message me and I will send you one for a reasonable price.

Best,

Brad at SNAPGAP
sixnotfour
Will do Ive seen all those ,,I'm simple... beerchug.gif
mepstein
Yea, the bike industry started using torque wrenches a while ago after they went to smaller hardware, TI bolts and carbon fiber parts. The old stuff held up to a “good twist to make tight”. The new stuff stripped and crushed until people realized it was made to just be strong enough but not anything more.
djway
What is the weight difference between the adjuster assembly versus the steel nut?
914forme
I would think that a logical step would be to offer it in Ti, just for the people who think they need it. You can offer both systems and be fine for us normal people who do not care. But for those who do, then Ti would be a logical choice.

After all lots of people with deeper pockets than I change over to Ti parts. Maybe when I retire I might start machining my own Ti parts. Most likely smelted from all the Apple cards my friends seem to be collecting. confused24.gif
sixnotfour
race rocker and lash caps,,if youre really concerned...I doubt it..
SNAPGAP
QUOTE(djway @ Oct 9 2019, 06:22 PM) *

What is the weight difference between the adjuster assembly versus the steel nut?

The OEM jam nut weighs 2.7 g. The SNAPGAP collar, shim and cap head screw total 6.1 g. In developing SNAPGAP, I read a lot of articles about the impact of increased weight on valve train components. I am sure others with more knowledge than I can provide additional or more technical input. However, this is what I have taken away from my reading. Most of the articles concern the desire to reduce weight in valve train components in drag racing engines where a premium is placed on reducing moment of inertia on push rod engines where the rockers are directly opposed to gravity so as to achieve higher RPMs faster. Those engine builders are trying to balance the strength of components at 10,000 RPM vs. weight of rockers, valves and valve springs and push rod components vs. cost of titanium materials and so on. One article noted that at 5000 RPM additional valve train weight makes no meaningful difference.

I could not find any information on the 911 set up where the shaft mounted rocker arm ends are not directly fighting gravity.

In my personal experience driving my SC with and without SNAPGAP, I have not noticed any reduction in power or ramp up -- but I may be biased. Rather, my engine seems smooth, powerful and quiet -- no ticking.

I explored and had prototypes made of high strength aluminum (1/2 weight of steel) as an alternative to steel for the collars but at this point have concluded that because the expansion rate of aluminum is 2x that of steel, there is too much risk of the collar expanding and loosening around the adjustment screw. If I were convinced that eliminating the additional weight would make a meaningful difference, I would explore other lightweight materials such as Titanium -- but the cost may be prohibitive.

Hope that is useful information.

Brad
SNAPGAP
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 9 2019, 06:26 PM) *

I would think that a logical step would be to offer it in Ti, just for the people who think they need it. You can offer both systems and be fine for us normal people who do not care. But for those who do, then Ti would be a logical choice.

After all lots of people with deeper pockets than I change over to Ti parts. Maybe when I retire I might start machining my own Ti parts. Most likely smelted from all the Apple cards my friends seem to be collecting. confused24.gif

Some thoughts from a 911 owner:

"I too am interested in the tool, but I would prefer a set in a metal having similar characteristics to the stock metal. After several exchanges with Brad, he has indicated that Titanium would be a close match, but that the kit price would be higher, $325 vs. the current price of $175. The collars and screws would both be titanium. The weight reduction would be to knock the current SNAPGAP weight of 6.1 g down to 3.35 g vs. the OEM nut of 2.7 g. Otherwise the kit would be the same -- and, of course additional sets of shims would remain the same for both kits. The expansion coefficient for titanium is actually a bit less than steel, so the titanium collars would actually grip the steel adjustment screws a bit tighter than the steel collars when the two are heated by engine operation. "

However, after further evaluation, unless someone can provide me with a demonstrable benefit of reducing this weight this tiny amount on a 911 or 914 set up, I do not believe I will be offering the Titanium option. A respected engine builder told me that given the geometry of the Porsche valve train, this reduction would make no difference in performance. If it did, you would think Porsche would put the cast rocker arms on a diet. Hell, I can remove a few grams in a few minutes with my angle grinder. evilgrin.gif

Brad -- from SNAPGAP
djway
How well does the wrench clear the suspension mount?
914dave
I have my set sitting on the shelf waiting for The next adjustment. I may actually be able to do the valves with the engine in.
914dave
Double post
SNAPGAP
QUOTE(914dave @ Oct 11 2019, 04:16 AM) *

I have my set sitting on the shelf waiting for The next adjustment. I may actually be able to do the valves with the engine in.

For spaces where the T-handled wrench does not fit without removal of components (or dropping the engine), you can use a 1/4 drive to tighten the small cap screw and a standard torque wrench set to 10Nm to do the torquing with whatever extensions you need. I know that my '78SC is not a 914 set up, but here are some pics of me working around the CAT on the left exhaust bank.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bandjoey
when I see this performed on a 914 with heat exchangers I'll get the kit. I have a hard enough time with the shim method and don't see this working on a typw 4 In the Car.
Morrie
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 11 2019, 07:10 PM) *

when I see this performed on a 914 with heat exchangers I'll get the kit. I have a hard enough time with the shim method and don't see this working on a typw 4 In the Car.

agree.gif
I am in the same boat here
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.