Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need engine rebuild advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gplracer
I grew up with a 914 that my dad drove. It was a 1973 1.7L. When I went to college in 1985 I took the car with me. A year later the engine got very tired. My dad bought me more reliable transportation. One weekend I came home my beloved car was gone. My dad had sold it.

Fast forward 34 year later and I have found the car! It was painted shortly after being purchased but never fixed up. I have the opportunity to buy the car back. I know the engine needs to be rebuilt. I do not know if I want to rebuild the 1.7L or find a 2.0L engine or doing a v8 conversion. I will take any advice you can give me.

I am leaning toward rebuilding the original 1.7L. If so can I get more hp out of it?
mepstein
Buy the car. Figure out the rest once it’s in your garage.
If it was me, I would rebuild the 1.7 into a 2.0, add modern efi and enjoy the car.

welcome.png
rick 918-S
agree.gif great story! welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif assimilate.gif
Gplracer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 8 2019, 06:54 AM) *

If it was me, I would rebuild the 1.7 into a 2.0, add modern efi and enjoy the car.

welcome.png

Sounds like exactly what I want to do. I did not know I could build the 1.7 into a 2.0. Are there any guides online to this process?
mepstein
QUOTE(Gplracer @ Sep 8 2019, 09:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 8 2019, 06:54 AM) *

welcome.png

Sounds like exactly what I want to do. I did not know I could build the 1.7 into a 2.0. Are there any guides online to this process?

Lots. Google 914world 2056 engine
Not cheap but not crazy expensive. You can use your engine case and keep it numbers matching, if that's important to you or buy a core 2.0 and rebuld with 96mm P&C's.
BeatNavy
This is a great reference: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1529209

As Jake says, nothing special about the 1.7 case. It is a good basis for a 2.0 or 2056 (or higher).

2056 can be made from 1.7 case by dropping in 96mm piston/cylinder set and acquiring a 2.0 (71mm) crank. No machining required (unless the crank or case itself need work).
Gplracer
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 8 2019, 10:29 AM) *

This is a great reference: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1529209

As Jake says, nothing special about the 1.7 case. It is a good basis for a 2.0 or 2056 (or higher).

2056 can be made from 1.7 case by dropping in 96mm piston/cylinder set and acquiring a 2.0 (71mm) crank. No machining required (unless the crank or case itself need work).

Thanks! I noticed that is an old post and many of the parts are not sold by Jake any longer on his website. It does give me some good info.

Any suggestions on where to get the parts from. I am sure there are some out there that are really good and some that are not good at all. Jake's cylinders and pistons are really expensive but it looks like Mahle makes some good ones as well that are not as pricey.
Coondog
Buy the car, sort it all out then worry about the motor. You will uncover many layers of projects that will need to be addressed.
Read every post in the Lapuwali thread and every build thread. Education, Education, Education.
72hardtop
QUOTE(Gplracer @ Sep 8 2019, 09:21 AM) *

Thanks! I noticed that is an old post and many of the parts are not sold by Jake any longer on his website. It does give me some good info.

Any suggestions on where to get the parts from. I am sure there are some out there that are really good and some that are not good at all. Jake's cylinders and pistons are really expensive but it looks like Mahle makes some good ones as well that are not as pricey.

Mahle is not close to what they used to be decades ago.

Go with a set of AA
VaccaRabite
Actually the 1.7 cases are often better then the 2.0 cases fro the 1911 or 2056 engines.

If you have to build the eninge and you want more rumble, but you don't want to change your crank, build a 1911. Its the 96mm pistons, with the shorter stroke that will still put down more power then stock, run on Djet (or cam it for more power and go EFI or carbs).

So many options.

Zach
porschetub
QUOTE(72hardtop @ Sep 10 2019, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Gplracer @ Sep 8 2019, 09:21 AM) *

Mahle is not close to what they used to be decades ago.

Go with a set of AA

You are joking right dry.gif ,atleast hope you are.
Al Meredith
GPLRACER, I PMed you about engine choices ,. Al
Cairo94507
I agree with Mepstein - Buy the car and get it in your garage and then do a full assessment of its condition. Rust repair being number 1 on the list. Engines are a relatively easy issue to address. Mostly, have fun reconnecting with your old 914.

Personally, I would go with with a 2056 with the factory 914 FI and SS exhaust. I would have the transaxle rebuilt at the same time and of course a new clutch, pressure plate, etc. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.