Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to refresh rear bumper top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
I'm going to need a new front bumper top from 914Rubber, but I'm hoping to save the rear one. It's in really nice shape but it looks dirty, dull/faded (see pic below). What's the best way to bring it back to looking its best?

Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
I have had luck with 150, 400, 600 sand paper then “back to black”.
mepstein
Wash with dish detergent then Vaseline and leave it in the sun for a bit. Buff with soft cloth.
doug_b_928
Those are two interesting, and quite unique, approaches. I’ve previously used back to black and it has worked well initially but not held up very well. But that was on a harder material. Would the Vaseline method last longer?
mepstein
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Aug 22 2019, 10:31 PM) *

Those are two interesting, and quite unique, approaches. I’ve previously used back to black and it has worked well initially but not held up very well. But that was on a harder material. Would the Vaseline method last longer?

Depends if it's a garage queen or daily driver. Just re-apply as needed.
If the vaseline doesn't work, you can always sand but might as well try easy, first.
JeffBowlsby
Rub glycerin into it. It requires reapplication from time to time, but its not petroleum based so it will not deteriorate the rubber.
Mikey914
Hot water and soap. Wipe with acetone. Shoot with penetrating vinyl dye.
You should keep most of the texture. Really a matter of cleaning opening up any pours, and the vinyl dye will make it a satin color.

This is if the rubber is not too far gone. If it’s wavy the internal structure is failing. You can still use it, but it’s a matter of time.

Thanks,
Mark
gereed75
Great tips guys. Not sure it is needed in this instance, but I did a pretty effective repair using black 3M 5200 adhesive. This stuff would definitely work to secure new anchors too. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=240803&hl=

With some diligence it might be possible to reskin a bumper top with a “ skim” coat of this stuff. Maybe??
doug_b_928
Thanks to all for the ideas. I’ll weigh my options. I don’t see the VHT vinyl dye locally but I do see Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint. Does anyone know if that’s the same as vinyl dye (i.e., is vinyl dye a paint)?
Gatornapper
After the sanding, one of the best detailers on the east coast who is a friend says this is the best stuff there is:

https://www.amazon.com/Solution-Finish-Blac...2dDbGljaz10cnVl

GN
76-914
She cleans up nicely. Touch up your valence covers and tires and it will "pop"! beerchug.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Aug 23 2019, 04:48 AM) *

Great tips guys. Not sure it is needed in this instance, but I did a pretty effective repair using black 3M 5200 adhesive. This stuff would definitely work to secure new anchors too. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=240803&hl=

With some diligence it might be possible to reskin a bumper top with a “ skim” coat of this stuff. Maybe??

Yes it is possible to “Reskin”, difficult to get the texture correct. The problem is that with vibration and heating and cooling cycles it will separate as the base material is over 45 years old and even if glued, will come apart.

Maybe you get a year or two, but eventually it will fail. But hey you got an arts and crafts project to keep you busy next weekend. biggrin.gif
gereed75
Not sure about skimming but I did that “chunk” repair five years ago and it still looks like the day I did it.
porschetub
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Aug 24 2019, 12:18 AM) *

Thanks to all for the ideas. I’ll weigh my options. I don’t see the VHT vinyl dye locally but I do see Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint. Does anyone know if that’s the same as vinyl dye (i.e., is vinyl dye a paint)?

The cleaning and prep is the key to a longer lasting solution,used the Duplicolor and it lasts 3yrs or so if not applied to a clean surface it starts to degrade in about 18 months.
The sun here in NZ is rather vicious.
I would stick with a product known to be suitable for bumpers,good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.