Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 1.8L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
midman
I have a yellow 1974 that has been sitting in my garage for the last 20 years or so. I purchased the car in 1984, drove it for 10 years, then parked it in the garage to rebuild the motor...it has sat there ever since. I figured I'd keep the car as a retirement project but that is not happening. It was rust free when I parked it and I assume it still is. It is buried under a bunch of garage stuff.. I also purchased a complete 1973 2.0L motor that I was going to use in place of the 1.8L. It sits on a dolly next to the car... I had put mystery oil in the cylinders but have not turned the motor in quite a while. I have no idea as to the cars value.
Garland
welcome.png
Ppm2u
Photos, location, price available?
Nacho
agree.gif
74ravenna
PM sent.
billh1963
QUOTE(midman @ Aug 13 2019, 09:55 AM) *

I have a yellow 1974 that has been sitting in my garage for the last 20 years or so. I purchased the car in 1984, drove it for 10 years, then parked it in the garage to rebuild the motor...it has sat there ever since. I figured I'd keep the car as a retirement project but that is not happening. It was rust free when I parked it and I assume it still is. It is buried under a bunch of garage stuff.. I also purchased a complete 1973 2.0L motor that I was going to use in place of the 1.8L. It sits on a dolly next to the car... I had put mystery oil in the cylinders but have not turned the motor in quite a while. I have no idea as to the cars value.

Post pictures of the car. That will help.

Do some research on completed auctions in ebay, bring a trailer and cars that have sold on here. Don't take the first offer that comes along...may be a lowball.

If you post in the general section you may find some forum members who will come and look over the car with you.

In the end, do your due diligence. A truly rust free car is rare and worth good money...even if it's not running
midman
I wasn't sure what the response would be so I did not 'uncover' it before posting. I will have to do that to get pics. It will take a few days for me to do that.

I am in the Boston area.
Mikey914
The devil is in the details. LOTS of pictures help tell the story. Include the "Hell Hole" (area below the battery that tends to be rusty), and if you can take the rockers off for pictures of the longs it will help.

You might consider selling the 2.0 engine alone as it should be an easier prospect to move (and uncover).

Sorry to hear it's not working out, but there are more buyers these days as these cars are getting discovered.
midman
What is the best way to add photos? It seems that I can only add one photo per post...
Ppm2u
Some ppl make a Google photo folder or DropBox folder, add the photos there, then make the folder shareable with a link - then post the link
thelogo
Putting it away for 20 years ( i hope you pulled the battery when you did it)

Makes it worth a whole hell of alot less then if you would have keeped it maintained

Cars that need to be rebuilt or refreshed from top to bottom tend to get expensive
midman
Here are the pics I've taken. It will take a few posts to include them all. If you want/need additional pics or info let me know.
midman
more pics
midman
more pics
midman
more pics
midman
last one
midman
I also remembered that I had the inner rocker panels replaced sometime in the last few years of driving it.
nditiz1
Can you provide pics of the rocker fix?

Can you show underneath the battery tray, the corner towards the front of the car and the same place on the drivers side?

If you can remove the rocker cover and get a shot of the jack point from a few feet away?
74ravenna
Could you add the VIN to the database?
midman
VIN added.
midman
I am going to set the price @ $4k for the car and the additional 2.0L motor.
khojnacki
QUOTE(midman @ Aug 19 2019, 04:01 PM) *

Are you interested in splitting the two? PM me if your interested in selling the engine separately. Thanks
Mikey914
Looks promising from what I can see. More details in the area below the battery tray will help. the fact the tray is in good shape bodes well
Mikey914
This is what we need to see
rjames
QUOTE(midman @ Aug 19 2019, 01:01 PM) *

From the pictures, the car looks to be in good shape. More pictures of the areas others have called out will help determine that though. If it's as good as it looks and the 2.0 engine is a runner, I think your price is too low.
jagalyn
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 19 2019, 08:14 PM) *

QUOTE(midman @ Aug 19 2019, 01:01 PM) *

From the pictures, the car looks to be in good shape. More pictures of the areas others have called out will help determine that though. If it's as good as it looks and the 2.0 engine is a runner, I think your price is too low.

I agree. Price seems too low... especially with the 2.0 engine.
midman
I read the rules, they say I must add a price... I really have no idea about the $$$. Your help would be appreciated....

A few pics of the 'hell hole'
914z
QUOTE(midman @ Aug 21 2019, 12:04 PM) *

I read the rules, they say I must add a price... I really have no idea about the $$$. Your help would be appreciated....

A few pics of the 'hell hole'

confused24.gif Even with the holes, it really looks like a good candidate for fixing, and putting back on the road. I've seen worse for a lot more, ... with the 2.0... I would say add about 50% more and that would be about right. Try to get the 2.0 to turn! If you could get it to start.... driving-girl.gif smilie_pokal.gif
midman
Here is pics of the inner rocker panel and one of the jack point of that panel. If you need to see more let me know and I will try and get them.

I am not looking to fund my retirement, just get a fair price and pass this on to someone who can appreciate the enjoyment these cars produce.... Given the advice posted here I am going to settle on $5k for the car and 2.0l motor.
midman
Bump. I am open to offers and can deliver if a trailer is available. I would really like to free up the garage space for the winter. Let me know if any other info is needed.
midman
Bump. Still for sale
midman
I'm lowering the price for car and 2.0L to $3500. I am also willing to sell the 2.0L motor seperately.
midman
Sale Pending
midman
Sold! Thanks 914World!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.