Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Issue After Engine Drop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HerdofCrickets
Dropped the engine last fall, had it rebuilt and we put it back in a month or so ago.

After having a little boy a few months ago, I'm finally getting a little time to get back to work on the 914.

Engine itself runs great, exhaust is really rich... so I guess the carb needs adjusted a little.

One issue though... no power to the dash (tach doesn't work and radio doesn't turn on).

Also when I turn the key, the engine tries to turn over but only fires when you let off the key.

Pretty sure I must have a wire hooked up wrong...

I'll start working backwards tonight but if anyone has any ideas... that'd be fantastic!

-Jon
76-914
QUOTE(HerdofCrickets @ Aug 12 2019, 11:20 AM) *

Dropped the engine last fall, had it rebuilt and we put it back in a month or so ago.

After having a little boy a few months ago, I'm finally getting a little time to get back to work on the 914.

Engine itself runs great, exhaust is really rich... so I guess the carb needs adjusted a little.

One issue though... no power to the dash (tach doesn't work and radio doesn't turn on).

Also when I turn the key, the engine tries to turn over but only fires when you let off the key.

Pretty sure I must have a wire hooked up wrong...

I'll start working backwards tonight but if anyone has any ideas... that'd be fantastic!

-Jon

I had that same experience with the ignition switch. Put a new battery in and that did the trick. What kind of voltage are you seeing at the battery. Is the blk wire w/ purple stripe connected at the coil?
HerdofCrickets
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 12 2019, 03:06 PM) *

I had that same experience with the ignition switch. Put a new battery in and that did the trick. What kind of voltage are you seeing at the battery. Is the blk wire w/ purple stripe connected at the coil?

Black wire with purple strip is not connected; reading the wiring diagram it looks like that is for the tach... so that makes sense. I read that it goes to the negative side of the coil; can someone confirm? I've already fried that little chip inside the distributor twice smile.gif

Not sure how to check battery voltage; i'll have to google that and respond when I get home later.

I was thinking I had the ignition wire on the circuit board plugged into the wrong slot, I need to check... I think it's plugged into slot II (bottom left of this diagram) but need to confirm and read the difference between Slot IV and Slot II

https://imgur.com/a/RjFnTXr

ClayPerrine
Black with purple wire goes to the negative terminal on the coil.

Mike Bellis
Bad tranny ground.
HerdofCrickets
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 12 2019, 11:02 PM) *

Bad tranny ground.

Thank you! I would not have checked that. Will check tonight.
HerdofCrickets
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 12 2019, 11:02 PM) *

Bad tranny ground.

Would a bad/poor tranny ground also cause the red 'charging system error' light on the dash to light up?

Chi-town
Yes as the alternator is grounded to the engine, not the chassis so you need the strap
HerdofCrickets
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Aug 13 2019, 01:31 PM) *

Yes as the alternator is grounded to the engine, not the chassis so you need the strap

I ran home over lunch and checked; I did re-attach the strap under the car by the transmission ...

I'll take it off tonight, clean it up, and re-attach.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.