Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1972 914 Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
autopro
Hello guys, I am new here to the 914 World forum. I have really enjoyed the topics that are covered here and loved watching all of the build threads and restoration projects everyone has posted.

I just bought a 1972 914 from a friend a couple of weeks ago and I am trying to come up with a plan on how to get this car back on the road. It seems it has been off the road for more than 10 years and it has just sat since then. Luckily it had been kept from the elements so there is minimal surface rust and most body panels are straight.

The engine seems to be missing some components and the harness for the fuel injection is in pretty bad shape. Also the engine seems to be from a 1973 model year because the number on it is EB005705 sad.gif

Now since the engine isn't original for the car I do not know if it's worth to go on an all out restoration or to just do a repaint, fix all the mechanicals and get it on the road again, what do you guys think?

Oh and since I know how people hate threads without pictures here are some of the car for you.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And this is after I got the engine home on my truck.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
I know the paint looks rough but it looks clean and straight, good door gaps - take the rocker covers off to see the longs better and take some pictures of the engine compartment and post - if those areas and under seats look good no structural rust I would clean it up, - if your budget it tight I would do a vinyl wrap until you can affor a full out paint job, or paint now - but if you are anxious to drive it , well then go thru the brake system first, check compression on motor, clean , drain etc and reinstall it and drive and enjoy for a while, - but it looks like your friend stopped after stripping it down some to do more work, maybe now if you have time, $$ and space, to do it now- but safety first- new gas lines and hoses, brakes flushed out and make sure new pads and no frozen up calipers, while motor is out it might be a good time to really check it out- do you know when motor ran last and what its condition is?

good luck, you know you will find the help you need here !
914forme
agree.gif welcome.png

Also look in the classifieds or post a WTB ad, as some people are swapping engines like crazy. screwy.gif You might be able to find a good running example to bolt right in, and get you on the road.

Most of the other questions you have to answer for yourself.

And 10 years off the road av-943.gif that was a short jack stand break. shades.gif

Since your new to this place you might notice at the bottom of my posts in my signature, I am poking fun at myself and my family.

I have an engine swap build that has gone off the deep end.

I have one of the oldest 914 restorations or rebuilds know to man.

To paraphrase McMark - A running 914 beats one on stands any day of the week.

Best wisdom ever, get yours running, get it on the road. These cars are pretty easy to upgrade in short time or fix items as you go. And driving these little things is what keeps all of us coming back here. I could never muster all the work I do on these cars if I did not like to driving.gif so much.
carking1996
Nice car! I love seeing restorations from cars in the shape yours is in.
mbseto
Welcome! Original or not, I lean towards getting it on the road again.
pt_700
off topic; that's a bitchin' 620 you've got there. takes me back to my youth...

i used to scoff at low rider mini trucks until i loaded my motorcycle into my friend's...

welcome!
autopro
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 10 2018, 09:29 AM) *

I know the paint looks rough but it looks clean and straight, good door gaps - take the rocker covers off to see the longs better and take some pictures of the engine compartment and post - if those areas and under seats look good no structural rust I would clean it up, - if your budget it tight I would do a vinyl wrap until you can affor a full out paint job, or paint now - but if you are anxious to drive it , well then go thru the brake system first, check compression on motor, clean , drain etc and reinstall it and drive and enjoy for a while, - but it looks like your friend stopped after stripping it down some to do more work, maybe now if you have time, $$ and space, to do it now- but safety first- new gas lines and hoses, brakes flushed out and make sure new pads and no frozen up calipers, while motor is out it might be a good time to really check it out- do you know when motor ran last and what its condition is?

good luck, you know you will find the help you need here !

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and advice

The idea is to do a full mechanical rebuild along with paint and body. I'm going to slowly start striping it down and get all the systems corrected. I do not know when the engine last ran, it didn't run back when my friend first bought it. I do know it turns freely and I am contemplating building this motor up to a 1911 with 96mm pistons but I would need to find some 1.8 or 2.0 heads.

Here are some pictures of the engine compartment, I just didn't take any after I took the engine out since I was covered in grease jajaja

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 10 2018, 09:47 AM) *

And 10 years off the road av-943.gif that was a short jack stand break. shades.gif

Since your new to this place you might notice at the bottom of my posts in my signature, I am poking fun at myself and my family.

I have an engine swap build that has gone off the deep end.

I have one of the oldest 914 restorations or rebuilds know to man.

To paraphrase McMark - A running 914 beats one on stands any day of the week.

Best wisdom ever, get yours running, get it on the road. These cars are pretty easy to upgrade in short time or fix items as you go. And driving these little things is what keeps all of us coming back here. I could never muster all the work I do on these cars if I did not like to driving.gif so much.

lol-2.gif jajaja you really made me laugh. Well I wish I could just get this running quick but knowing me and how I like my cars that won't happen. This little 914 will be getting a good treatment. The day I took the engine out I also took the interior out and it already went to the upholstery shop.

I saw your thread the other day and really liked it, I'm going to be looking more into it because it has some very good information. aktion035.gif
autopro
QUOTE(mbseto @ Apr 10 2018, 11:07 AM) *

Hopefully soon I can get it back on the road, and by original what I mean is not modifying it with a bigger engine and fender flares. My friend got a set of fiberglass fender flares that he gave me with the car and was wanting to do something like this, unless everyone thinks it's a really stupid idea screwy.gif

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(pt_700 @ Apr 10 2018, 11:09 AM) *

i used to scoff at low rider mini trucks until i loaded my motorcycle into my friend's...

welcome!

LOL same here, but I love this little truck and I know exactly what you mean about loading motorcycles laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

krazykonrad
welcome.png
TheCabinetmaker
I bought a 1600 pickup in June of 73, then my first 914 in August. Both brand new! Great little truck. Wish I still had it.
aggiezig
welcome.png

Your project looks like a great starting point!
Freezin 914
welcome.png
autopro
Thanks guys really appreciate it bye1.gif

@ The Cabinetmaker, I think there are always some cars we regret getting rid of.
Larmo63
The engine compartment looks dirty, but doesn't look a rusty mess like most of these cars usually are.

Good luck with it.......and,

welcome.png
autopro
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 11 2018, 09:16 PM) *

The engine compartment looks dirty, but doesn't look a rusty mess like most of these cars usually are.

Good luck with it.......and,

Thanks for the welcome, I'll get some better pictures of the engine compartment next time. I do see some rust up where the battery tray is. I will end up replacing the tray.
bbrock
welcome.png I'll be watching this thread because this car has particular allure for me. Like Larmo said, it's rare to see one of these that is crusty but not rusty. Very interesting... popcorn[1].gif
autopro
bbrock, I'm glad you like it. I sure hope that I do not find too much h rust as I hate having to repair it. They paint on it is really crusty jajaja
autopro
Got the engine semi torn apart and I also started cleaning up the transmission trying to get all the gunk off. Hopefully here next week I will be able to get most of the parts that I took off cleaned and sent out to get sand blasted.

I've decided to build my 1.7 motor to a 2056 and found a great local guy to get the 2.0 crankshaft and some other parts that I need for the rebuild. I also looking to get a copy of the Bug Me Type 4 Engine Rebuild video in case anyone has one for sale. biggrin.gif

I'll be building the engine for street and freeway use but will need to go with Dual 40 carbs, if anyone has any recommendations or tips for me I would love to hear them. Thanks guys smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
krazykonrad
welcome.png and nice truck!

Konrad
Dion
Hi Pedro. Looks as good as most of these projects on here if not even better. Does seem to be pretty straight from the pics you’ve shown. Lotsa luck! Keep
Posting. welcome.png
Shadowfax
welcome.png
From another Pedro beerchug.gif
Fatboy007
Way ta go man....make it happen! piratenanner.gif
autopro
@ Konrad, thanks bud biggrin.gif

@ Dion, yeah the body is pretty straight just one issue with a small accident on the left front headlight and a dented left door. At least those will be easy fixes. I'm planning on taking the whole car apart in about two weeks. Only then will I be able to know if there is any major rust repair.

@ Shadowfax, saludos tocayo! jajajaja beerchug.gif

@ Fatboy007, I will man, hopefully soon I can show you guys some progress smile.gif And we are neighbors jajaja sunglasses.gif

Thanks guys!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(autopro @ Apr 10 2018, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Apr 10 2018, 11:07 AM) *

Hopefully soon I can get it back on the road, and by original what I mean is not modifying it with a bigger engine and fender flares. My friend got a set of fiberglass fender flares that he gave me with the car and was wanting to do something like this, unless everyone thinks it's a really stupid idea screwy.gif

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(pt_700 @ Apr 10 2018, 11:09 AM) *

welcome!

LOL same here, but I love this little truck and I know exactly what you mean about loading motorcycles laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Wow! Fellow Datsun guy. PM me your address and I’ll get you that item we discussed. Least I can do for a datsun bro...
autopro
That is such a beautiful car Rob wub.gif I was looking for one of those but the 914 popped up and I got it instead. After I finish the 914 I'll look for another 240Z

In fact I brought the 914 home yesterday and had to put the Datsun 620 out in the street mad.gif Why can't my wife just give up her parking spot in the garage?

After I got it home I started tearing into it and removed the fuel tank along with other pieces in there. I was surprised that the fuel tank is in such good condition. Even inside it was really nice and clean.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Some pictures of the disassembly process. I built the stand from some pictures and plans I saw on another members thread and I must say it's pretty awesome. Working on the car like this has been a pleasure and by back isn't all sore biggrin.gif

Here with the help of some friends we got it up onto the stand.

Click to view attachment

Someone had asked for pictures of the rockers, well here is the right side and it was in good condition so I am happy about that. The left side is mostly the same.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And a couple more overall pictures

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

autopro
This past weekend I finished taking the car apart and then cleaned it up a bit. Everything came off fairly easily but I need to buy the socket to remove my front ball joints. Body work to start soon biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Looking good on your project! keep posting ur progress!
Superhawk996
You guys have no idea how good you’ve got it with these solid bodies. shades.gif
autopro
It's been a while, but I had to put the car in storage to finish another more pressing project. Now that it is finished I can get back on this full time and starting to look for the next project blink.gif

Now that I'm going to get back on it I need to find someone close to me in San Diego to do my heads, so if anyone has a good person to do them please let me know.

When I bought the car I did not find out until later that it came with some 40 Dual Carbs, a set of 96mm pistons and a 2.0 crankshaft with rods. The guy I bought it from called me up and said that I had forgotten some parts and to go pick them up. Imagine my surprise when I saw what they were. Now my engine is a 1.7 but I will need to rebuild my heads and get bigger valves for them. Hope you guys can let me know who I should take them to here in Southern California.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
Surprises on these cars usually are not nice like this... popcorn[1].gif
autopro
JOEPROPER I agree, wish they happened more often.

So I've been doing some of the tedious work of getting parts cleaned up and sent to get them powder coated. I sent them to a guy I had never used before in Tijuana and I was very pleased when I picked them up. He did a great job and had them ready for me the day he said. It only cost me $250.00 for all of these parts.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Since my car did not have a front sway bar, I decided to buy the on from GR German Parts Restoration. It was shipped out very quickly and I had it the same week I ordered it. I was very impressed with the quality and the parts look great. I really can't wait to put this on my car smile.gif

Click to view attachment
autopro
Ok, where did I leave off so long ago sad.gif , yes I remember, I was trying to restore a 914 biggrin.gif

Added LED's to my gauges and now they are nice and bright, my eyes will be able to see them at night now

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

autopro
Had to do a bit of wire repair and paint, I was lucky that the original stamping was still visible on the parts so I avoided painting over those.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
My homebrew plating operation stirthepot.gif Not professional quality results but I am happy with the way they turned out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Even though the car was fairly rust free, the rear floor section had some pretty bad rust. I bought the replacement panels from Restoration Design and they fit great right out of the box cheer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

autopro
At this point I was happy how everything was fitting so I started welding everything up. When I was done I noticed that I forgot to install the bracket for the back seat upholstery blink.gif Needles to say I had to drill out the welds and put the bracket back in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

autopro
Here is the bracket installed and the installation of the seat rails.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

autopro
Last week I took my engine on a little trip to LA, some of you might recognize the place. It has been great working with them, Jorge and Carlos have been great to work with.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Got my boy some new shoes. Bought these from Maxilite wheels and I think they look great. Sizes are 8x15 and 9x15, tires are FALKEN AZENIS RT660 225/45ZR-15 and 245/40ZR-15

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Looking like progress!!!!

With those wheels, looks like you decided to go WIDE-BODY.

Love it...All my current 914's are wide-body but I long for the day I can add a nice original 73-74 2.0 narrow-body to the stable.

Keep this thread updated

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Oscar
Root_Werks
Another build thread, awesome!

This 914 looks pretty solid and even more so now. Nice!
autopro
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jul 30 2021, 09:38 AM) *

Looking like progress!!!!

With those wheels, looks like you decided to go WIDE-BODY.

Love it...All my current 914's are wide-body but I long for the day I can add a nice original 73-74 2.0 narrow-body to the stable.

Keep this thread updated

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Oscar

Thanks Oscar, I am going wide-body. It was a tough decision to cut up the car sawzall-smiley.gif but I love the look, so no looking back now.

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 30 2021, 01:06 PM) *

Another build thread, awesome!

This 914 looks pretty solid and even more so now. Nice!

Aside from the rear of the floor the rest of the car was pretty solid, thanks smile.gif
autopro
During my kids summer break I put him to work on all those little jobs everyone loves to do happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

He actually did a pretty good job at it

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Primer inside the cab so it doesn't rust again.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here it is, ready for the bodywork to begin aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

930cabman
Another one coming back to life, keep up the good work.
autopro
QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 2 2021, 09:43 AM) *

Another one coming back to life, keep up the good work.

Thank you! Wish we could bring them all back to life.

Work continues on the metal prep prior to epoxy primer. Had to work in sections to get the epoxy primer on before the panels developed surface rust again.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

autopro
A few more. I was able to finish the whole car and now it will be ready for body work.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.