Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
JRust
Okay this has been a long time coming. I am finally going to pull my incredible, reliable, powerfully awesome 158 hp NA 2.5 Subaru Drivetrain. In goes my new 2.5 Subaru Turbo motor out of a 2009 Forester XT. I will be pushing 220 plus depending on if I upgrade my turbo over the stock one. Pretty sure I am sticking with stock to start. That is a pretty easy bolt on upgrade later. I have a 2004 WRX 5speed tranny to mate up to it. Will be doing a firewall engine mount connecting to a Small car motor mount. Tranny ears for the back. Using Outfront header to move the turbo around the front of the motor. Outfront Wiring harness to the Stinger ECU. Still need to figure out the intercooler but staying in the engine bay under a GT grill. More details to follow but plan to pull my old drivetrain this weekend.

Okay so plans have changed & I am going to be putting in this 2005 WRX motor with 55k on it. My 2.5 will go in eventually but my plans are to build it out a little more. Going to get a larger turbo for it & other odds & ends to push 400hp with it. So this 2.0 motor will be pushing 220 easy & looks great
Krieger
That will be a very nice bump in power!
matthepcat
Close to 300 with just a Cobb tune and a bell mouth down pipe. About 15-16 Psi
mgp4591
You've been thinking about this for awhile I know - great to see you finally getting to it!
I agree with Matt. The downpipe you'll need to do anyway and the Cobb Accessport is the way to go! For as often as you'll use full boost, upgrading the turbo may not be necessary where you build your exhaust around the downpipe. Just don't starve out your fuel ratio and you're good to go - congratulations! aktion035.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif
Andyrew
What are you going to do for the intercooler?

Will it be done for the WCR?

This will be fun! smile.gif
Front yard mechanic
That is a good looking car! Worth the effort pray.gif
76-914
I get everything your doing except starting this at the beginning of the 914 season. confused24.gif Come to think of it, I began my conversion in the Spring as well. lol-2.gif popcorn[1].gif
A&P Mech
Jamie, I read your add in the classifieds and it appears your offering everything that is needed for a swap except the radiator and axels. I have a set of Coldwater 914 axles that I would be willing to sell to help someone complete the conversion.

Ray
Chris H.
So you got it. Nice. Still going back and forth with that Vanagon dude (don't ask y'all...I'll post it in my Van thread if it works out biggrin.gif ).

Hey if anyone is looking for a good NA engine Jamie's has some nice upgrades. It's got extra oomph but nothing that would affect reliability at all. I talked to the PO before he sold the car just to ask what was up with it. Perfect starter engine.

Jamie I'd stick with the stock turbo since it's free anyway. Then turn it up when you get used to the power and want more. What ECU are you running it with? EMS again or the stock ECU? There are a lot of solutions for the electronics. NASIOC is probably the best place for that.

JRust
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 30 2017, 10:39 PM) *

What are you going to do for the intercooler?
Probably rolling with the stock setup but I know jack about intercoolers. I need to look into this more than any other part of the conversion at this point wacko.gif
Will it be done for the WCR?
#Yesmabyeihopethehellso
This will be fun! smile.gif
Most definately evilgrin.gif

Thanks for the heads up on axles Ray. That would be perfect. Trying to make the conversion as easy as possible for the next person. As close to turn key as I can make it without doing the conversion for them anyway. My current drive train will be an easy conversion for someone. All of the hard work is done already.

I am super psyched about finally doing the motor upgrade. It has been a long time coming for me. I plan to get the A/C setup finished with this as well. May just have to make a weekend trip down to see you Kent to do my lines.
rhodyguy
I wish I had known you were going to sell the 2.5 3 months ago. I would have held on to the legacy instead of basically giving it away.
Andyrew
If you put an external water mister that activates on boost you should be fine with the stock intercooler for moderate boost levels.. You can also go with W/M injection post intercooler which would do a lot of good but the expense level is higher.

Or you can go with an air to water intercooler log if you plan on keeping the power at or under 300hp. Should be plenty of cooling for that power level.
914forme
Stock IC is fine even with out the mister. I would do a water to air though. Frozen Boost makes some kist for this, not sure why your limited to 300HP, just get a bigger sized unit.

It has been discussed several times thou, and well every one has done them a bit different. PorSTI uses an air to air intercooler, Scott says he gets temp creep if sitting a long time. It cools right back down once he is rolling. Spending some time in that car, I know it can move. happy11.gif Gray Matter is a water to Air unit, we will see how that one turns out.

Good luck with the build and engine sale
arne
Starting this weekend, Jamie? I guess we won't see any 'teens at coffee in Eugene this Saturday, either. I don't think we've had any show up since that time you and your buddies drove down.

Will be interesting to watch progress in this thread. I like seeing this kind of thing when I have seen the car in person before.
JRust
QUOTE(arne @ Jan 31 2017, 12:33 PM) *

Starting this weekend, Jamie? I guess we won't see any 'teens at coffee in Eugene this Saturday, either. I don't think we've had any show up since that time you and your buddies drove down.

Will be interesting to watch progress in this thread. I like seeing this kind of thing when I have seen the car in person before.

When is it Arne? I might be up for coming down before I tear into it. I wanted to do a video of it running & driving anyway.
arne
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 31 2017, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(arne @ Jan 31 2017, 12:33 PM) *

When is it Arne? I might be up for coming down before I tear into it. I wanted to do a video of it running & driving anyway.

10:00 Saturday, same location as before. Means you wouldn't be able to start the drop until after lunch. Love to see you and the car again, though. And I'd also like to pick your brain a bit as I get ready to start my own 914 project in a few weeks.
JRust
QUOTE(arne @ Jan 31 2017, 01:49 PM) *

10:00 Saturday, same location as before. Means you wouldn't be able to start the drop until after lunch. Love to see you and the car again, though. And I'd also like to pick your brain a bit as I get ready to start my own 914 project in a few weeks.

I'll drive down as long as the weather is decent. I added a few video's of a quick drive tonight to my classifieds add. I'll make a better one on saturday but wanted to get something up.
Andyrew
You should do some performance runs. 20-60, 40-80 ect. smile.gif

Torque app on your phone will do it just on location alone if you dont have an obd port.
JRust
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 31 2017, 06:57 PM) *

Torque app on your phone will do it just on location alone if you dont have an obd port.

Good plan. Actually my speed hut gauge will do a 0-60 come to think of it. I need to look up how to do that. Only know that because Ray mentioned they do it. LOL didn't even know my gauges had the capability
76-914
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 31 2017, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 31 2017, 06:57 PM) *

Good plan. Actually my speed hut gauge will do a 0-60 come to think of it. I need to look up how to do that. Only know that because Ray mentioned they do it. LOL didn't even know my gauges had the capability

Push the little black knob on the face until it reads 0-60 time. It will start automatically as soon as you take off. Check out your fastest recorded speed while your in there. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Personally I dont like doing comparison runs with a launch. To many variables. Thats why I like 20-60, or in my car 40-80 or 60-120 as I dont get traction in the lower speeds.

JRust
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 1 2017, 07:57 AM) *

Personally I dont like doing comparison runs with a launch. To many variables. Thats why I like 20-60, or in my car 40-80 or 60-120 as I dont get traction in the lower speeds.

I hear you. Not something I'm overly worried about by any means. Just want to show possible owners what the drivetrain is capable of. Was good to get it out on the road for a change. Been a few months since I have driven it. Just hoping weather holds out so I can get some good video saturday. I think I may skip the 60-120 one though Andrew. LOL! maybe with my new drivetrain I'll do that one happy11.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 1 2017, 08:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 1 2017, 07:57 AM) *

I hear you. Not something I'm overly worried about by any means. Just want to show possible owners what the drivetrain is capable of. Was good to get it out on the road for a change. Been a few months since I have driven it. Just hoping weather holds out so I can get some good video saturday. I think I may skip the 60-120 one though Andrew. LOL! maybe with my new drivetrain I'll do that one happy11.gif

With 300hp It comes in pretty quick smile.gif

This is my setup on about 12psi. This is about 300hp, something to look forward to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hliU58TRbFE
JRust
Dang that was fast Rich is buying my drivetrain. So it is full steam ahead now. I am pulling the drivetrain this Saturday. Need to go through all the wiring with a fine tooth comb. My original wiring diagram needs redone for the new owner. My original one has changed when I did my new ECU. Anyway time to move on from my NA 2.5.

Time for my 2009 2.5 Turbo motor from a subaru forester XT. I did a thread when I got it. Basically the car was Tboned. Guy bought it for the front clip to fix his wife's car. Turned out he knew the guy who owned the car before. In talking to him he found out there was a recall on the motor in his car. He got factory replacement motor at 70k. So my motor has a mere 15k on it. My plan is to relocate the turbo to the front of the motor using Outfront motorsports header. It does mean I need to flip my intake or get a different one. Only because I want to setup a/c & there isn't the space to flip it & have all the accessories on the belt.
Costa05
Sounds like we both have builds to do. Glad to be hooked up with a good/sound entry level suby swap to begin with. Good history, good seller.
Rich
JRust
QUOTE(Costa05 @ Feb 1 2017, 10:02 PM) *

Sounds like we both have builds to do. Glad to be hooked up with a good/sound entry level suby swap to begin with. Good history, good seller.
Rich

You need to change your signature to Suby conversion underway istead of in consideration! Congrats Rich you are going to love this setup man. It will transform your 914
Costa05
I will need to let the PO know his chariot has been given a new identity. See attached Craigslist Ad. Its hilarious.
JRust
QUOTE(Costa05 @ Feb 2 2017, 06:38 AM) *

I will need to let the PO know his chariot has been given a new identity. See attached Craigslist Ad. Its hilarious.

That Add is funny laugh.gif .

Well Arne I am going to just tear into my car Saturday I think. Another drive may just put me off. I am inspired to get my drivetrain out & off to Rich. I take a drive Saturday the 45min down to Cars & Coffee. I am more likely to stretch that drive out longer. So I better just buckle down & get my heater going in my shop. Going to be a cold day so think I'll clean up some while I let it heat up. Then pull my car in & get busy.
arne
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 2 2017, 09:05 PM) *
Well Arne I am going to just tear into my car Saturday I think. Another drive may just put me off. I am inspired to get my drivetrain out & off to Rich. I take a drive Saturday the 45min down to Cars & Coffee. I am more likely to stretch that drive out longer. So I better just buckle down & get my heater going in my shop. Going to be a cold day so think I'll clean up some while I let it heat up. Then pull my car in & get busy.

Well, then I guess I'm going to need to come to you to bounce ideas off of you. Will touch bases with you soon.
JRust
QUOTE(arne @ Feb 2 2017, 09:29 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 2 2017, 09:05 PM) *

Well, then I guess I'm going to need to come to you to bounce ideas off of you. Will touch bases with you soon.

Anytime Arne I am always up to talk 914's
76-914
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 1 2017, 09:13 PM) *

Dang that was fast Rich is buying my drivetrain. So it is full steam ahead now. I am pulling the drivetrain this Saturday. Need to go through all the wiring with a fine tooth comb. My original wiring diagram needs redone for the new owner. My original one has changed when I did my new ECU. Anyway time to move on from my NA 2.5.

Time for my 2009 2.5 Turbo motor from a subaru forester XT. I did a thread when I got it. Basically the car was Tboned. Guy bought it for the front clip to fix his wife's car. Turned out he knew the guy who owned the car before. In talking to him he found out there was a recall on the motor in his car. He got factory replacement motor at 70k. So my motor has a mere 15k on it. My plan is to relocate the turbo to the front of the motor using Outfront motorsports header. It does mean I need to flip my intake or get a different one. Only because I want to setup a/c & there isn't the space to flip it & have all the accessories on the belt.

Which route are you going w/ the AC install? popcorn[1].gif
arne
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 2 2017, 09:58 PM) *

Anytime Arne I am always up to talk 914's

PM sent.
JRust
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 3 2017, 07:45 AM) *

I have my core unit in the fresh air box which McMark built for me. The condenser is there in front of my radiator already. The compressor will just be in the stock spot on my motor. So I just need to run my lines. Wasn't sure where I plan to run my lines. Considered just going through the center tunnel with them. Possible down the side of the longs like the oil lines typically are run. I just remember you bought all the stuff to make your own lines. So figured you are my new best friend evilgrin.gif
76-914
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 3 2017, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 3 2017, 07:45 AM) *

I have my core unit in the fresh air box which McMark built for me. The condenser is there in front of my radiator already. The compressor will just be in the stock spot on my motor. So I just need to run my lines. Wasn't sure where I plan to run my lines. Considered just going through the center tunnel with them. Possible down the side of the longs like the oil lines typically are run. I just remember you bought all the stuff to make your own lines. So figured you are my new best friend evilgrin.gif

If'n you'll pay the shipping both ways I'll send it your way. PM me when you get ready to do the AC or before you buy any parts for it. Kent beerchug.gif
EDIT: I'll send you the hole punch as well. That will take a few hours off the job by itself.
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
JRust
Okay well I've got a few picture. First 2 are of my 09 2.5 turbo motor on the stand. Then my car on the rack & an underside picture from the back. I've got to go do a few things now so plan to pull the motor in a few hours
JRust
Didn't make to much progress yesterday. Ended up having a busy afternoon. Went out for a while in the evening. Got may radiator lines drained. Unplugged a few things. Went to take off the outer CV's & 3 out of my 8 bolts were stripped. Anyone have a good trick for getting those? I have the official 8mm starred bit to pull them. I did not strip them trying to pull them. That was left for me unfortunately dry.gif . So after a while I gave up & called it a night. Hope to go out for a while before the super bowl but we'll see
Mike Bellis
Cut the heads off with a grinder. Once the head is off, they usually spin out by hand if the PO didn't put thread locker on them.
JRust
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 5 2017, 09:07 AM) *

Cut the heads off with a grinder. Once the head is off, they usually spin out by hand if the PO didn't put thread locker on them.

How do you cut them off Isnide your trailing arm?
914forme
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 5 2017, 11:45 AM) *

Didn't make to much progress yesterday. Ended up having a busy afternoon. Went out for a while in the evening. Got may radiator lines drained. Unplugged a few things. Went to take off the outer CV's & 3 out of my 8 bolts were stripped. Anyone have a good trick for getting those? I have the official 8mm starred bit to pull them. I did not strip them trying to pull them. That was left for me unfortunately dry.gif . So after a while I gave up & called it a night. Hope to go out for a while before the super bowl but we'll see

They make drifts you can drive into them, and back them out. But another solution, just unbolt the trailing arms.
JRust
My motor plans are changing. I picked up there 2005 wrx 2.0 motor. I bought this motor originally 3 years ago. Then had the wreck in my car. Ended up selling it to help pay for repairs. Brent was prepping it for his car when his plans changed. So given the opportunity I bought it back. My 09 2.5 will have more power especially low end. So it will go in my car eventually. But for now this motor is just to damned sweet it needs to go in my car. Plus has everything needed to do so. Only thing I am missing is the exhaust from the turbo back. Plus a cradle or firewall mount. Still debating between the 2
Chris914n6
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 5 2017, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 5 2017, 09:07 AM) *

How do you cut them off Inside your trailing arm?

Undo the big nut and pull the whole thing out biggrin.gif
JRust
You shut your mouth Chris poke.gif happy11.gif . Yeah I can do that. I have always just gotten those bolts out. I plan to now as well. I will do that if I give up on the bolts but I'll get them out.
matthepcat
Decided on the EJ20 huh? What turbo is that?
JRust
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Feb 5 2017, 11:36 PM) *

Decided on the EJ20 huh? What turbo is that?

It's the stock turbo just rebuilt & polished by Outfront. I decided on that motor for now. I am going to hang onto my 2.5 motor. Going to get parts to build it into a bit of a monster. I want 400+ HP with that motor. Plus will be a easy swap later as well. I've got everything for this 2.0 motor. Just an easier swap at this point to get it in place.
Chris914n6
I never mess with those bolts. Too much PITA. R&R with the stub is just so much quicker and easier.

I prefer to waste time with overly complicated things like the Nissan gauge cluster swap.

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 5 2017, 03:07 PM) *

You shut your mouth Chris poke.gif happy11.gif . Yeah I can do that. I have always just gotten those bolts out. I plan to now as well. I will do that if I give up on the bolts but I'll get them out.

JRust
Okay didn't do much this week as work kept me busy late most nights. Tomorrow Rich's drive train is coming out of my car. I'll update with some pictures once it is out.
dangerranger01
Your car is going to rock! I'd love to have a setup like what this is going to be.
JRust
I've got my old drivetrain out! Here are pics of it out off the cradle. I've got an oil pump to replace on my motor that was leaking. So have that to do this week. Cleaning everything up from the oil leak. Then bolting it all back together so it is ready for Rich to bolt right back it. Took me about 3 hours today to do it. Went slow & took more off than needed to get it out. Taking lots of pics as I go. Marking all the wires & what connected where. Managed to pull one sensor to my gauges out. just the wires about half way. Easy fix just missed it & pinched it when I pulled the motor. Guess it wouldn't be a motor pull without me missing at least one wire rolleyes.gif
strawman
Good job Jamie; keep up the great work. I'm jealous of our "fleet" of turbo Suby engines. What, are you trying to corner the market?!?! I'm watching your progess closely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.