Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seatbelt interlock relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
As the owner of a 74 1.8 that hasn't started in 32 years I replaced the fuel lines (Tangerine) the fuel pump (thanks wndsnd) and most of the vacuum lines, but when it came time to try and start it, I was getting nothing.
I would get some lights, the radio, horn and wipers but the engine wouldn't crank.
So today I took Dave Darlings advice to remove the Seatbelt Interlock Relay.
I did it more to get something done on the car for further on down the road when I intend on trying to get it to run.
Just for the heck of it I decided to hook up the battery and turn the key, VOILA!, the motor cranked!
It hasn't started yet but hearing the motor turn was a big relief and quite exciting.

Steve

Dave_Darling
Excellent, congrats on getting the next step!

--DD
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 20 2015, 10:50 PM) *

Excellent, congrats on getting the next step!

--DD

Are you just removing the Relay and leaving the wiring intact or are you fooling the system and rewiring and/or jumpering the sensors. The reason I ask is I'm working on a 74 2 liter that is a roller. The PO had butchered the wiring harness and I'm trying to set it straight. Area of concern that's left is the dreaded Seat Belt Warning Relay. Current tracks 64 and 65 are jumpered as well as 68 and 69. Pin 31 of the relay, ground, is partially connected.

I've got one ground wire that looks to go thru the fire wall bulkhead and head to the engine area but can't seem to locate it there. Argh.

Is there a Tech Brief that explains the Jumpering method to eliminate Selt belt warning. I can't locate anything on the site.
r_towle
There is nothing important except the two yellow wires that go from the ignition switch to the starter relay. Put those two together.

Rich
r_towle
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Dec 20 2015, 12:30 PM) *

As the owner of a 74 1.8 that hasn't started in 32 years I replaced the fuel lines (Tangerine) the fuel pump (thanks wndsnd) and most of the vacuum lines, but when it came time to try and start it, I was getting nothing.
I would get some lights, the radio, horn and wipers but the engine wouldn't crank.
So today I took Dave Darlings advice to remove the Seatbelt Interlock Relay.
I did it more to get something done on the car for further on down the road when I intend on trying to get it to run.
Just for the heck of it I decided to hook up the battery and turn the key, VOILA!, the motor cranked!
It hasn't started yet but hearing the motor turn was a big relief and quite exciting.

Steve

Congrats, and if you need help, or parts, let me know.

Rich
74ravenna
Are you just removing the Relay and leaving the wiring intact or are you fooling the system and rewiring and/or jumpering the sensors.

For now just removing the relay and leaving the wiring intact.

Congrats, and if you need help, or parts, let me know.

Thanks Rich. I've removed the fuel tank (again!) to get it cleaned, should have it back in a day or two so hopefully I'll have it back together this weekend an we'll go from there.

Steve
NS914
Hi Steve,
Would you ever forward the information re Seatbelt interlock relay from Dave Darling....I too want to remove or minimize...the PO of my car, a '74 1.8 also butchered the wiring and I have been going through it SLOWLY...lol.

Much thanks, Grant
Series9
I would really like to meet the Kraut who was responsible for including the starter in the seat belt wiring.... chair.gif

That gets bypassed on every 914 that comes through here.

74ravenna
QUOTE(NS914 @ Jan 19 2016, 03:15 PM) *

Hi Steve,
Would you ever forward the information re Seatbelt interlock relay from Dave Darling....I too want to remove or minimize...the PO of my car, a '74 1.8 also butchered the wiring and I have been going through it SLOWLY...lol.

Much thanks, Grant

Sounds like you have a 74? If so, those are for the "door ajar" buzzer, and for the Dreaded Seatbelt Interlock Relay. The relay can AND SHOULD be disarmed by splicing the two fat yellow wires that run to it together. The relay itself can be discarded or reinstalled, whatever floats your boat, at that point.

--DD

So do I understand this correctly?
I splice the yellow/red stripe and yellow/white stripe together and tape off the rest of the wires?

ThanksAttached Image

Hi Grant,

Here is the thread with Dave's instructions.
It was a simple fix. There are only two large yellow wires so you can't miss.

Steve
JeffBowlsby
smile.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 19 2016, 01:06 PM) *
I would really like to meet the Kraut who was responsible for including the starter in the seat belt wiring.... chair.gif

You'll want to talk to the US legislature and the DOT from back in the early 70s. It was a legal requirement to be able to import cars into the US... Fortunately, it was (close to) a one-year-only deal.

--DD
dangrouche
Interior light functionality desired. how to ??
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 19 2016, 02:32 PM) *

smile.gif

Interior light functionality needed.
I have a 74 2.0 liter and my seat belt interlock relay bypass was completed as in the above picture and the seat belt relay removed. My light switch on both doors are functional and make that smaller silver relay click each time either door opens. I read on this board that I needed to bypass a couple of wires on the seat belt relay side to make it so that my interior bulb illuminates whenever either door is opened. I think Clay Perrine wrote that info. Does anyone know which two leads I need to jumper on that interlock relay ??
Quick question for the brain trust, where's the relay located?
I might have an issue with mine and would like to remove/ unplug it vs taking the seat out.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Jeffs9146
Under the passenger seat
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 2 2016, 05:53 PM) *

Under the passenger seat

Thanks you! piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.