Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914RS4 Tube Chassis 996 Suspension Audi 2.7TT Stage 3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Curbandgutter
Well the dream begins. I'm embarking on the building of a 914 project. Here is the candidate. Bought a roller from LA area. Looks like its not going to be too much rust. Firsts thing will be to strip it. Taking front fenders and rear quarters off. Then sending to Cal Blast for media blasting. I look forward to the knowledge that I can gain from fellow enthusiasts. Plan on taking a lot of pics Stay tuned......

DISCLAIMER: Do not attempt to duplicate anything that is mentioned or illustrated in the entirety of this thread. I do not make any warranties of any kind. If you try to build what I am doing, you take full risk. Do not try this. It may be dangerous to your health and may get you killedClick to view attachment
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
BMiller
Welcome aboard! beerchug.gif
pcar916
beerchug.gif

Good luck! welcome.png
KaptKaos
Cool!! Where are you in SoCal?
Elliot Cannon
Come to the G&R swap meet. Lots of stuff there you will absolutely need. Forget the roll cage. (Unsafe in a street car). Go with the Sheridan body. first.gif
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 25 2013, 09:15 PM) *

Come to the G&R swap meet. Lots of stuff there you will absolutely need. Forget the roll cage. (Unsafe in a street car). Go with the Sheridan body. first.gif

Just out of curiosity, why would a cage be unsafe in a street car?
carr914
welcome.png

and Elliot, wasn't there a Cage in Zonker? Personally I felt a lot safer with a Cage in my car. It was padded
monkeyboy
Generally cages are unsafe in street cars because you don't wear a helmet on the street. Since the 914 is so small, it's likely in an accident you will bump your head on the roll cage. In that event, the cage always wins.
andys
Ok, you got my attention.......which twin cam V8? Which 6 speed? Oh, and yes, where in SoCal?
Andys
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(andys @ Mar 26 2013, 08:48 AM) *

Ok, you got my attention.......which twin cam V8? Which 6 speed? Oh, and yes, where in SoCal?
Andys

Coyote 5.0, G50-20 (993)Audi 2.7 TT from SR4 with Cayman S G87.21 transaxle, Murrieta, CA.
carr914
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Mar 26 2013, 10:39 AM) *

Generally cages are unsafe in street cars because you don't wear a helmet on the street. Since the 914 is so small, it's likely in an accident you will bump your head on the roll cage. In that event, the cage always wins.

There are plenty of other things (some Sharp) for you to hit you head on.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Mar 26 2013, 07:39 AM) *

I see your point. Thank you for the heads up (pun intended) However, since I am making this a speedster, I'm thinking of moving the rear hoop to be more in line with the back of the firewall.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 25 2013, 09:15 PM) *

I'm going with Sheridan. I changed my mind (September 17, 206). I'm going with 916 steel gt flares and will offset the front and rear fenders 2 1/2" and then add the 916 gt steel flares. I need to offset the front and rear since the 996 suspension has a 5" wider track. Trouble is the rears are set up for 14" rims. I don't know if there is rubber to fit that wide? When is G&R swap meet. I would definitely go. If it is in Riverside, then it's only a 45 min. drive up the 15.
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 26 2013, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Mar 26 2013, 10:39 AM) *

There are plenty of other things (some Sharp) for you to hit you head on.

Never occured to me, but makes obvious sense.
JoeSharp
The party thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=206693

The only place you need to be on the 21st of April.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Mar 26 2013, 04:27 PM) *

The party thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=206693

The only place you need to be on the 21st of April.

I'll be there. Joe you are a wordsmith man. Love the "black colloidal suspension known as Coffee, along with fat pills (Donuts for the politically correct) available in the AM". Are we gonna have an "ethereal epiphany of unctuous delight" also known as fat burgers.

Anyway back to the topic.
Curbandgutter
I have most of the car stripped. Making a rotisserie. As soon as rotisserie is completed I plan on media blasting. Looked into media blasting with pressure washer and crushed glass. Looks like that is the way I will be going. I'll post pictures as soon as I complete the rotisserie.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 26 2013, 04:25 AM) *

welcome.png

and Elliot, wasn't there a Cage in Zonker? Personally I felt a lot safer with a Cage in my car. It was padded

The Zonker had a roll cage but I didn't install it. I bought the car as it was. I don't like a roll cage for the street because it just doesn't "give" on impact. Roll cages and roll bars are there to protect you from a roll-over. Every time a chassis or body is bent and crinkled in an accident it absorbs energy and increases the chance of survival in a collision. That's my .02 worth. (although some consider it to be worth about .015). lol-2.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Apr 12 2013, 10:14 AM) *

I have most of the car stripped. Making a rotisserie. As soon as rotisserie is completed I plan on media blasting. Looked into media blasting with pressure washer and crushed glass. Looks like that is the way I will be going. I'll post pictures as soon as I complete the rotisserie.

I can personally recommend the Sheridan body. They are made here in Paso Robles, are well made and are incredibly strong. I'll be at the G&R and can tell you from my experience how strong they are. biggrin.gif
Curbandgutter
I can personally recommend the Sheridan body.
[/quote]

Yep that is what I'm going with. I'll see you at the G&R swap meet. Are you bringing your 914 with the Sheridan kit??
Curbandgutter
Well here are some more pictures of the progress. We have removed everything inch of wire, grommet, tubing, cable. All we need now is the suspension. Building rotiserrie before i take suspension off. My trusty helper is my son. We are enjoying this project immensely. Click to view attachment
Curbandgutter
More picsClick to view attachment
Curbandgutter
Bundle of wires
bulitt
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Apr 15 2013, 04:51 PM) *

Well here are some more pictures of the progress. We have removed everything inch of wire, grommet, tubing, cable. All we need now is the suspension. Building rotiserrie before i take suspension off. My trusty helper is my son. We are enjoying this project immensely. Click to view attachment

Good for you! Times like this are so fleeting!
BMiller
Good job so far. Keep it up! beerchug.gif
Jgilliam914
Take good care of that Harness! Your gonna need it when you restore it welcome.png
Curbandgutter
Thank you for the suggestion. Also with respect to the harness, I'm going to have to do a diet on it as I won't be using any of the engine fuel controls. I'm also going to need some grommets as I found it impossible to remove the harness through the rear firewall without removing the large rubber elbow. Also there were some relays underneath the passenger seats that were completely rusted out. I could not remove them without cutting them out. I will be needing a factory manual to see exactly what those relays are for.
Curbandgutter
I'm also planning on removing the center tunnel and making my own. This can serve various purposes: it makes it easier to re install the wiring harness, the fuel lines, the drive by wire throttle, the hydraulic clutch line, and it gives me the opportunity to install the shifter at the proper height. Also, I have been toying with the idea of bringing a cold air inlet from the front of the car to the rear via this center tunnel. Obviously the cold air/ram tunnel would be separate from the other cables. I could remove the existing fuel tank and buy a cell that fits into the spare tire well. It would be a direct ram of cold air into the cold air box! piratenanner.gif Also the center tunnel would be taller and much stiffer than the low profile one that it came with. This would add additional stiffness to the frame. The Sheridan front certainly has some real estate in the front for various ports to accomplish this. What do you guys think?
effutuo101
keep it up! a lot of work ahead, but it will be worth it!
Curbandgutter
Well it has been a while but I have been collecting "stuff" so that I can start and not have to stop too often. I purchased a 2000 996 C4 that was involved in a fire. I am able to use the full suspension, Brembo big reds, jic coil overs, radiators, ac condensors, power steering, power brakes, transmission, axles, pedal assembly. I am purchasing steel flares this week and then I will be able to start work. I will be posting pictures of the German piece of coal donor.

It is going to be a 916 like you haven't seen yet. Top is coming off, steel speedster humps, lowered floor, lowered glass and raked back. Steel cage/frame. I'm wanting to modify the 996 aftermarket front bumper to work with the 914 front an 916 front flares. I'm also removing the front square pop up lights. The real surprise is what I have planned for the rear fender and quarter panel. More to come.
Justinp71
Sounds like a good project... funny, one just sold on ebay (not flared though). If you look you can see the radiator behind the seat even, that's new on a v8 car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Porsche-914-9...=p2047675.l2557
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Aug 4 2014, 12:13 PM) *

Well it has been a while but I have been collecting "stuff" so that I can start and not have to stop too often. I purchased a 2000 996 C4 that was involved in a fire. I am able to use the full suspension, Brembo big reds, jic coil overs, radiators, ac condensors, power steering, power brakes, transmission, axles, pedal assembly. I am purchasing steel flares this week and then I will be able to start work. I will be posting pictures of the German piece of coal donor.

It is going to be a 916 like you haven't seen yet. Top is coming off, steel speedster humps, lowered floor, lowered glass and raked back. Steel cage/frame. I'm wanting to modify the 996 aftermarket front bumper to work with the 914 front an 916 front flares. I'm also removing the front square pop up lights. The real surprise is what I have planned for the rear fender and quarter panel. More to come.

We're gonna have to see some pictures. If we can't see it, it isn't happening. laugh.gif
Curbandgutter
damm iphone will not hook up to my computer. I'll get pics today though
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 4 2014, 12:31 PM) *

Sounds like a good project... funny, one just sold on ebay (not flared though). If you look you can see the radiator behind the seat even, that's new on a v8 car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Porsche-914-9...=p2047675.l2557

Thanks for the picture but yeah not what I'm doing. That car needs a lot of work. It's not even a 50 footer.
76-914
You need that harness up to the 14pin connector at the relay board. The relay board is history.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 4 2014, 04:10 PM) *

We're gonna have to see some pictures. If we can't see it, it isn't happening. laugh.gif

agree.gif There are a lot of threads where people plan what they're going to do. A couple years later we see the roller cut up and for sale in the classifieds. Wish you luck for sure tho.
Curbandgutter
George, Thank you....I know what you mean. Hopefully that will not be the case here. I almost have everything that I need to get going so its not about not having the parts.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Aug 4 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Well it has been a while but I have been collecting "stuff" so that I can start and not have to stop too often. I purchased a 2000 996 C4 that was involved in a fire. I am able to use the full suspension, Brembo big reds, jic coil overs, radiators, ac condensors, power steering, power brakes, transmission, axles, pedal assembly.

Whats your plan on using the transaxle in mid engine conversion. I don't think you can rotate the 996 transaxle to run in a inverted posistion. Is the ring gear reverseable like in the 930 boxes. idea.gif
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Aug 5 2014, 07:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Aug 4 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Well it has been a while but I have been collecting "stuff" so that I can start and not have to stop too often. I purchased a 2000 996 C4 that was involved in a fire. I am able to use the full suspension, Brembo big reds, jic coil overs, radiators, ac condensors, power steering, power brakes, transmission, axles, pedal assembly.

Whats your plan on using the transaxle in mid engine conversion. I don't think you can rotate the 996 transaxle to run in a inverted posistion. Is the ring gear reverseable like in the 930 boxes. idea.gif

You can invert the 996 gearbox. Verified with GBOX. Only thing is that I think that I will need to add taller ring and pinion. If I use a 325/30 19 tire with stock rear it will cruise 70 MPH at 2550 rpm. If I use the 3:1 rear end, then it will cruise 70 MPH at 2200 rpm. I'm getting a quote to do the taller rear and LSD. Let's see what it ends up at.
Curbandgutter
It's been a while......life happens. I'm back on track and started to build the rotisserie. I'll finish this weekend and then I'm going to media blast. Enjoy the pics.
rick 918-S
How'd I miss this? Belated welcome.png
arkitect
Can't wait to see more.

Dave
Curbandgutter
Well here is the rotisserie that I made. I took the best ideas from all of the different ones and made my own. I am satisfied with the way the rotisserie came out. I'm now waiting for my wet sandblasting kit from Power Eagle. They are on back order and will be available at end of June. For now I will just pick up the recycled glass and wait.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 7 2016, 07:44 PM) *

How'd I miss this? Belated welcome.png

Thanks.
76-914
Looking forward to this. Damn nice rotisserie. John Deere green from Tractor Supply? popcorn[1].gif
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 16 2016, 05:55 PM) *

Looking forward to this. Damn nice rotisserie. John Deere green from Tractor Supply? popcorn[1].gif
Thanks for the comment. The color is actually Rust O'Leum Hunter Green from the Home Depot on Maddison, in Murrieta. biggrin.gif
Curbandgutter
Well since I have to wait until my sand blast kit shows up, I'm taking the front and rear suspension off the 996 to mock up on the 914. Looks like the front will be easy. The rear will require a tube frame. That's OK though since I am planning to tube the rear. I'm planning to pressure wash the suspension this weekend and mock it up on the rotisserie with the car upside down. cheer.gif
87m491
Wow, a ton of adjustment (and adjusters!) on those coil overs.

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Jun 17 2016, 07:46 AM) *

Well since I have to wait until my sand blast kit shows up, I'm taking the front and rear suspension off the 996 to mock up on the 914. Looks like the front will be easy. The rear will require a tube frame. That's OK though since I am planning to tube the rear. I'm planning to pressure wash the suspension this weekend and mock it up on the rotisserie with the car upside down. cheer.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.