Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martini 914 1974
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
falcor75
Got my first 914 home last monday...barely had time to look at it becuase of work.... was in rougher shape than the pictures I was sent of it before buying it.

IPB Image

Spec's:

Front glasfibre hood
Rear glasfibre hood
Front GF bumper (cracked)
Rear GF bumper

Rollcage
Old five point harnesses, will be discarded.
Three point belts will be installed (needed to pass Swedish registration)

Rebound adjustable red Koni's front and rear
Springs "140 lb Weltmeister"

Engine overhauled 2001:
"Euro" pistons
Camshaft, unknown spec.
Overhauled heads with new valves and guides
Weltmeister oiltrap
Flywheel lightened 2 kg's
Frontmount oilcoover
External oilfilter
etc....

It's a pretty rough looking car but the plan is to get it registered (ex California car, I got it from 914er-teile in Germany)
and then tear it to pieces and do it right, find all rust, fix it and have it resprayed.
Yes, my projects tend to go overboard.... biggrin.gif

The long term plan is to build my own version of a "914 RS" in the same kind of way as the 964 RS was made. Original looks, a little bit lighter, a little more power, a little better brakes and handling.
billh1963
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Feb 2 2013, 10:09 AM) *

Got my first 914 home last monday...barely had time to look at it becuase of work.... was in rougher shape than the pictures I was sent of it before buying it.

They always are!

Congratulations on the new purchase beer.gif
doug_b_928
Subscribed. Looking forward to watching the resto.
rick 918-S
Looks like a nice start. Love white.
Tom_T
welcome.png .... and to the Quest! shades.gif
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif first.gif driving.gif
falcor75
Thanks smile.gif

Today's mission was to pull the rollbar and 5 point harnesses from the car.
Was a bit of a chore getting the rollbar out on my own, had to move around the car and wriggle it up between the sills a few mm's at a time on each side.

Tomorrow I'll tackle installing the 3 point belts and do a list of stuff that needs to be fixed to pass the registration check...
mittelmotor
Nice! the Rivieras look great on a white car.
falcor75
Finished the seatbeltinstallation today and cleaned up the rear vinyl pad aswell since it was quite nasty. Did some looking around and this is what I've found to fix so far.

* Brake lights doesn't work....

*High beams doesn't work, no click from the relay when I pull on the stalk

*Washer bottle non existant, will convert to electric pump system.

*Interior light broken

*Instrument lights very weak, probably a few dead bulbs

*Need both rear rubber grommets that hold the top in the trunk

*Left rear wheel hard to turn, probably stuck hand brake...

more to come as I find it... rolleyes.gif
falcor75
doublepost....
FourBlades

welcome.png

These cars are worth the work if you like to drive!

John
JawjaPorsche
Nice Score! Welcome to our Madness! beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
You seem to be approaching it in a nice systematic order. I love white on 914's. Good luck and keep posting.
falcor75
Ok, I need to be educated on the warmup and idle behaviour of a Djet 2.0
Mine starts up easily with a little throttle help the first few seconds when cold. Idles around 1000-1200 and after half a minute or so the idle raises to about 2500-3000 and stays there, after 5-10 minutes it slowly decreses down to around 1500.

From what I've read the rising idle untill warm is normal but a but too high.
I couldn't find any vacuum leaks with starterfluid but need to try it again since
I only had a few squirts left in the can.
falcor75
Ok, it's been awhile since I wrote here. WTF.gif

The car passed the Swedish registration after alot of hassles this spring, the "ex-California, export to Germany and then imported to Sweden" caused some greif and worries but it sorted itself out in the end thanks to help from the Swedish VW/Porsche group that helped with some brake certification documents. pray.gif

Wasting no time me and a friend tore into the car, cataloging nuts and bolts and small parts in labeled zipbags and soon we had a bare shell.

The shell has been one trip to the bodyshop for some straightening och rust repair, I also had them weld in a rear suspension reinforcement kit from Tangerine.

Currently I'm working on the surface rust in the center tunnel and working my way outwards from there.

IPB Image
arkitect
Looks like a cool project. More pictures, please. biggrin.gif

Dave
MMW
Looks like you are doing a nice job. Can you post some pics of your car dolly? It looks interesting as I haven't seen one like it before.
cary
QUOTE(MMW @ Nov 25 2013, 04:59 AM) *

Looks like you are doing a nice job. Can you post some pics of your car dolly? It looks interesting as I haven't seen one like it before.

I was thinking the same thing .....................
naro914
I was actually marveling how his garage in Sweden doing a restoration project looks just like all the garages here in the States doing a restoration project...some things don't change anywhere in the world you are!

Looks great!
saigon71
Looks like you are making some fine progress! beerchug.gif

Take your time and do it right the first time, then just driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
rick 918-S
I like that car dolly!
falcor75
Thanks guys smile.gif

Here's a link (text is in Swedish) for more information about the car dolly but the videos show the princible of it. Its basically jackstands on wheels.

http://verktygsboden.se/pallbockar/pallbock-rullbar
76-914
Your garage door caught my eye. Looks like a sub-zero insulated bi-fold door? Something tells me your garage is toasty warm in the winter. Also, is that an LED light that looks like a comp monitor from the rear in one of those pic's? An L-80E 914 might be considered camouflaged in Sweden, no? happy11.gif
falcor75
I dont know about toasty warm, keeping it around 18 degrees (65F) so I can work without getting to hot, when doing paintwork I usually put it up a bit higher.

You mean my worklight standing on the floor? it's one of these things with a strange megabulb in it, http://biltema.se/ProductImages/35/large/35-9570_l.jpg

Well since she wont be a winter driver anymore the L80E will come off when its time for paint to be replaced with something else.
(the agony of choosing a colour!)
falcor75
Click to view attachment

Didnt get much done this weekend, but I got my new compressor ! Finally I will have enough ooomph to mediablast smaller areas that are hard to get to with other tools.

piratenanner.gif
falcor75
I've updated my homepage with the lastest progress (http://matsgarage.com/)

Here's some questions thats popped up during the hours spend in the garage getting brainwashed by christmas songs on the radio.

I'm thinking of removing the jack concoles on the sills for a cleaner look. Since I dont have the original jack and probably never will get one. Yay or nay from a structural point of view?

The plastic clips the keep the windshield trim in place, are they available to buy somewhere? And the plastic small square things in the top of the windshield frame what are they? drainage canals?

And this is what it looks like under your rear lifting points... welder.gif

Click to view attachment
peteyd
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Dec 22 2013, 11:31 PM) *

I've updated my homepage with the lastest progress (http://matsgarage.com/)

Here's some questions thats popped up during the hours spend in the garage getting brainwashed by christmas songs on the radio.

I'm thinking of removing the jack concoles on the sills for a cleaner look. Since I dont have the original jack and probably never will get one. Yay or nay from a structural point of view?

The plastic clips the keep the windshield trim in place, are they available to buy somewhere? And the plastic small square things in the top of the windshield frame what are they? drainage canals?

And this is what it looks like under your rear lifting points... welder.gif

You can get the clips for the front windshield from 914rubber.com I believe. The square plastic pieces in the frame, if I am not mistaken are for an after market ski rack that was available back in the day.

As for the jack point, I think you can do without them if you don't want to put them back on. I personally don't have them on there, but my rockers also don't have holes stamped in them.(the perks of working at a metal stamping facility biggrin.gif )

Pete
OllieG
Following with interest..I'm at a similar stage to you with the bodywork. Looks like the body's in pretty good shape. Noticed you got the car from Patrik at 914er-teile.

Best of luck with it.
falcor75
Thanks for the info about the square plastic pieces Pete, I've been wondering about those for some time now. Today I've spend the morning mediablasting the "floor" under the headlightbuckets, had to build a longer blasting nozzle to get in there effectivly. Found some more rust but it's nothing to big.

And I've sent an order to Restoration Design for two new rear jack points and an E-brake guide panel.
falcor75
Yes! First paint (primer) is on!

Click to view attachment
FourBlades

Nice work! smilie_pokal.gif

Making good progress. smash.gif

John
oldie914
Regarding the discussion of the holes in the windshield frame; this is a picture of my 914/6 with a ski rack. The front bar fit the holes in the windshield frame. The rear bar was attached with screws into threaded holes under the rollbar.
The pictures aws taken in Bertschesgarten, Germany during the winter of 1972/73.

Click to view attachment
falcor75
ooooh nice picture, I'd love to try my 914 in snow some time, (snow...not salt)
falcor75
New panels from Restoration Design welded on today....

welder.gif icon_bump.gif

http://matsgarage.com/?p=213
falcor75
Lots of updates done in the last month. piratenanner.gif

IPB Image

http://matsgarage.com/
falcor75
IPB Image

Stuffs happening still but as I work out of town during the weeks I only get a fewhours of work done each the weekend. I've finally decided on the colour for
the car to be resprayed in but I'll keep that to myself for now. biggrin.gif
Also scored some nice new stuff like a set of 15x7 Cookie cutters and a set of heat exchangers in very good condition.

Still need to order every rubber part known to mankind from 914rubber and a set of carpets etc... type.gif

Edit: and yes I ran out of primer... wink.gif
falcor75
IPB Image

Undercoat went on yesterday, car will be white again but with a more modern white than the Light Ivory original colour.

Edit: pic was way to big, no sure why it didnt resize....
914Sixer
Looking good !!!!!
falcor75
Got a tip from my cousin on a guy that could mediablast and powdercoat so today I've dropped off the following to him for refurbishment.

2x front A-arms
Front crossmember
Front guardplate
Front struts
Rear reinforcement rods (Tangerine kit)
Rear suspension arms

Should be done within a couple of weeks. smile.gif
arkitect
I like your rotisserie, making great progress. beerchug.gif

Dave
falcor75
IPB Image

Freshly painted parts. smile.gif
Socalandy
Great progress!!! popcorn[1].gif
falcor75
IPB Image

First paint has happened! Ok its only "B-surfaces" like trunks, engine compartment etc. but still...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

falcor75
IPB Image

Hinges painted.

IPB Image

Headlight lids had 2-3 layers of paint, had to scrape it off before mediablast and primer.

IPB Image

Scored two 15" Fuchs, sadly they're 8" wide so I'll try to swap them for two 7"

IPB Image

Picked up some small parts from powdercoat aswell.
falcor75
http://matsgarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2...14791748113.jpg

Got it home from the paintshop last night...winter is saved. biggrin.gif
falcor75
IPB Image

IPB Image

A few more pictures of the fresh paint smile.gif

IPB Image

And some parts went out for surface treatment on friday.
Cairo94507
Very nice- Keep up the good work.
falcor75
This weekend was 2 steps forwards and then 1½ backwards... headbang.gif

Glued the races for the front A-arm bushings on the A-arms on friday in preparation for
mounting the front suspension on saturday. Got the parts back from surface treatment
early saturday and proceded to mount the ball joints on the Aarms. Left went fine....right went....wtf is this!

Click to view attachment

Aaaah of course, another trace of the hit to the front right corner that some PO never fixed correctly. Getting another A-arm is managable, will cost me about $150 to get one and get it mediablasted and powdercoated. Sadly tho the bearing races are stuck to the old one and not coming off. I've emailed Elephant racing hoping to purchase a pair of loose races.

Annoyed with this I started on the rear suspension arms instead, drilled
and tapped the holes for the grease nipples, and my M6 thread tap broke off in the last hole.... I left Mr Murphy in the garage and called it a day at that point... dry.gif
veekry9
Perfection when seen by mere mortals is a humbling revelation.
So,that's how.
falcor75
Thank you.....but its really far from perfect. smile.gif

New front right A-arm on the way from Germany and Elephant Racing are sending two new bearing races. Now I just need to squeese into the powdercoaters schedule
and get some paint on the new part.

chandler1969
Looks great! Maybe one day my 74 will be as clean. Keep up the good work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.