Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bluey the $400 Porsche
Olympicblue73
post May 14 2023, 01:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,642
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hello everyone! This whole thing might seem familiar to some of you since I posted about this car a few years ago, but I lost motivation and I feel like starting a fresh thread is a good idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

So, this will be my project thread from here on out!

Here’s the story from my post 2 years ago for those of you who didn't see:

Hello everyone! I’d like to introduce myself: I’m Cian, and I am a high school senior college sophomore and a car fanatic who lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico.”

In October of 2019 I purchased this ‘73 914 2.0L in Olympic Blue from my neighbor across the street. I have always wanted a 914 and buying the exact car I gawked at throughout childhood was a dream come true.

I inquired (without my parents permission unsure.gif ) and the owner and I met up the following week. He knew quite a bit about 914s, and he loved the car, but it was obviously time to let it go. He left it under a tree, and it was covered in dust and rotting leaves. However, under the filth, it was in pretty good shape overall, with minimal rust and dry rot. The dash was not cracked (!) and at least the front of the car could be salvaged paint-wise. He said that it has dual Weber carbs, and the engine was rebuilt a few years before it was parked (sometime around 1998.) he said the carburetors were in dire need of a rebuild, and I should replace the fuel lines as well. He also said it has minor rust issues (what abandoned 914 doesn’t??)

I asked about the price, thinking that I couldn’t possibly afford it. I ended up buying it for 400 bucks, complete, with a clean title. One three and a half years later, I am still just as thrilled with it as the day I got it- it is my prized possession, and the fact that I got such a nice 914 for that cheap just makes me even happier.

Now, two years on, I have finally begun major work on my car- better late than never! I have discovered that the motor is most likely water damaged and is probably in need of a rebuild, forcing me to drop the engine, a job that I was terrified of two years ago. I will send the powertrain over to Russ Kelso and his team at PMCI INC where they will do the necessary work to make it run. I actually laughed out loud when I read “minimal rust” which has to be one of the biggest understatements of all time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Plan

- Fix structural rust (unsafe to drive at the moment)
- Engine rebuild
- New fuel and brake lines
- Clean fuel tank
- 5 lug swap with new brakes (maybe 911 front struts)
- Install authentic 5 lug Fuchs
- Try not to damage original paint

I hope to make this a weekend driver that I can take to Cars and Coffee and other similar events. This is going to be a big project, but am excited to see this car back on the road! Here’s some photos of the turd for you all: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post May 14 2023, 01:54 PM
Post #2

Heres some “before” photos

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
StarBear
post May 14 2023, 02:14 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Best wishes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 14 2023, 02:39 PM
Post #4

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=354097&hl=

We have been here with you earlier on. I still think that you got a screaming deal on this car and really if you have some talent or follow instruction well you can take a stab at fifing it yourself because if it goes to a guy to rebuild the Eng it is going to cost you a bit of money.
The are great video’s on how to rebuild the Eng and maybe you send the transmission out to have someone review how it is and rebuild it or at least reseal it.

I rebuilt my first 914 2.0 when I was 24 but did lots of motorcycle when I was 16. It is much easier to follow the video’s now and back when I was 25 I used a simple manuel available able at that time in 1979 . The machine shop was my friend to review just how my parts looked and what needed to be replaced or machined.

Understanding witness marks and having a keen eye for damage to used parts will go a long way. I found that it was a lot of fun to work on my 914

Good luck, take it slow and follow instructions and you will end up with a fun little that you should make a nice profit on it someday. You should tell us something on your history and what talents you have. The guys here will be happy to share their knowledge with you

Best to you,

Bob B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
914Toy
post May 14 2023, 02:58 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 14 2023, 03:23 PM
Post #6

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

If that’s a 74 the rear bumper has been changed.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 14 2023, 03:24 PM
Post #7

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

If that’s a 74 the rear bumper has been changed.
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post May 14 2023, 03:34 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(burton73 @ May 14 2023, 02:39 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=354097&hl=

We have been here with you earlier on. I still think that you got a screaming deal on this car and really if you have some talent or follow instruction well you can take a stab at fifing it yourself because if it goes to a guy to rebuild the Eng it is going to cost you a bit of money.
The are great video’s on how to rebuild the Eng and maybe you send the transmission out to have someone review how it is and rebuild it or at least reseal it.

I rebuilt my first 914 2.0 when I was 24 but did lots of motorcycle when I was 16. It is much easier to follow the video’s now and back when I was 25 I used a simple manuel available able at that time in 1979 . The machine shop was my friend to review just how my parts looked and what needed to be replaced or machined.

Understanding witness marks and having a keen eye for damage to used parts will go a long way. I found that it was a lot of fun to work on my 914

Good luck, take it slow and follow instructions and you will end up with a fun little that you should make a nice profit on it someday. You should tell us something on your history and what talents you have. The guys here will be happy to share their knowledge with you

Best to you,

Bob B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

It’s good to see you again! I think the biggest issue I’ve had since day 1 is that I do not have any prior experience or any mechanical skill, and I also don’t have anybody in my life that could teach me. I’d never even changed the oil or spark plugs on a car before I got my 914. I’m starting slow with the removal of the drivetrain, and then I will reassess when its out. Another option could be to ask if I could work WITH him on the motor. No matter what I’m going to have someone who knows about the motor at least check it out and see what we are working with. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post May 14 2023, 07:33 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

Welcome back to the insane asylum.....The addiction to these cars never ends.....Looks like you made a steal of a deal when you bought that car. Good luck on your build
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post May 15 2023, 12:21 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A 73 2.0 for $400 is a great deal. You can put a lot of $$$ in this and still be $$$ ahead. Great color too.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post May 15 2023, 08:09 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

why send it out? do you want to rebuild it or just have someone check it out? Engine rebuilding is part of the process. The only thing I did not do, was the tranz. Dr Evil built mine for me. He used to and I hear he will again, have weekend training sessions that I could have attended and rebuilt the tranz too. water over the dam now.

Take your time, do everything you can yourself. Save 1/2 the money, maybe more, using your own labor.

Enough of that. What else have you done besides wash it?
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post May 15 2023, 09:16 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 15 2023, 08:09 AM) *

why send it out? do you want to rebuild it or just have someone check it out? Engine rebuilding is part of the process. The only thing I did not do, was the tranz. Dr Evil built mine for me. He used to and I hear he will again, have weekend training sessions that I could have attended and rebuilt the tranz too. water over the dam now.

Take your time, do everything you can yourself. Save 1/2 the money, maybe more, using your own labor.

Im pretty sure it’s going to need a rebuild, but I might open it up before I send it to Russ. I am pretty sure there is/was water in the motor, but we will see when it’s removed! I’m just waiting on the Jack plate now! I’ve already replaced the fuel lines in the tunnel and I’ve cleaned the tank. I started to rebuild the carbs, but they are toast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post May 29 2023, 09:30 AM
Post #13

Update!

I’ve decided to break up the motor removal over multiple days since I’ve been running into some issues. I don’t know how some of you guys get this job done in under three hours lol. The biggest problem I have encountered is that the previous owner stripped multiple screws and bolts for different components under the car, and they are the exact ones you don’t want stripped- the transmission cone screw and the CV bolts…

It seems as if he just manhandled everything when installing- a good example is that the plastic cover for the side shift, which fits INSIDE the metal lip surrounding the linkage, was just stretched and hammered on OVER it. Similarly, the rear bumper was installed in a way that pinched the wiring of the passenger side plate light, causing the entire bumper to sit improperly, warping the upper rubber bit, destroying that wire, and seemingly grounding it out on the metal bumper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Now time to deal with some stripped CV bolts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 29 2023, 10:22 AM
Post #14

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 15 2023, 10:09 AM) *

I wouldnt hold your breath on me doing any more weekend clinics. Family needs are far eclipsing my abilities to be away for any extended period of time, and my shop has been cranking non stop with no break in sight. I hate to tell customers I cant get their build done because of traveling to do several other builds. Lastly, I have had multiple generous members around the continent offer up their location for a build clinic and none of the locations (PNW, Canada West, Canada East, Central/North CA) have had any luck in generating enough participants to make it worthwhile. My last clinic was in Santa Clarita, CA like 4 yrs ago and so many folks bailed at the last moment that I ended up financially in the red with a bunch of new parts and uncovered travel, vehicle, shipping, and lodging expenses. The clinics are a bit of a big endeavor and take time, money, and effort to put on. Im short on all three when I have a constant small backlog at my home shop. They were a lot of fun, and I got to meet a lot of our members and help a lot of people. I do miss doing them.

@olympicblue73
Looks in some pics that the rear wheels have some camber to them. Have you checked the suspension mounts for rust, cracking, etc?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 29 2023, 10:26 AM
Post #15

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Example of the camber issue Im talking about.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post May 29 2023, 12:17 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 29 2023, 10:26 AM) *

The suspension mounts are very solid. I think the camber is because the car is lowered on aftermarket rear suspension =)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 30 2023, 08:49 AM
Post #17

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(Olympicblue73 @ May 29 2023, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 29 2023, 10:26 AM) *

The suspension mounts are very solid. I think the camber is because the car is lowered on aftermarket rear suspension =)

Thats weird though. If the mounts are in good shape, you almost have to do it intentionally to get the camber wrong like that.

And I realize that was a common VW fad for about a decade that may have slipped over to your car. If intentional, it should be easy to correct.

Be aware, though. The suspension ears rust from the inside out. They look great from the outside until they rust through...

Zach
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jun 2 2023, 11:01 AM
Post #18

Image of the stripped CV bolts. Sorry if it might be a little hard to see. Only 2 of the 8 total are intact. The rest are completely rounded out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 2 2023, 11:15 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

I have had luck with a vise grip for this application
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jun 2 2023, 12:53 PM
Post #20

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 2 2023, 10:15 AM) *

I have had luck with a vise grip for this application

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Don't be nice to them, just grip, shred or whatever you have to do to get them out.

Usually a sign that someone used a 6point instead of the proper 12 point tool to remove.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:50 AM