Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Overlap Cam, What does it mean for my car
jdamiano
post Oct 5 2022, 03:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,981
Region Association: South East States

I just replaced my pushrod tube seals and when I adjusted the lash I think I discovered my 73 2.0 has an overlap came. I had to put each cylinder at TDC to adjust the lash. No two where at TDC at the same time. Does that mean my cam was replaced? It was converted to Weber carbs right before I purchased it. All the removed parts were in a tub but no cam. I have assumed it hadn’t been changed.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nathanxnathan
post Oct 5 2022, 05:25 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,899
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jdamiano @ Oct 5 2022, 02:58 PM) *

I just replaced my pushrod tube seals and when I adjusted the lash I think I discovered my 73 2.0 has an overlap came. I had to put each cylinder at TDC to adjust the lash. No two where at TDC at the same time. Does that mean my cam was replaced? It was converted to Weber carbs right before I purchased it. All the removed parts were in a tub but no cam. I have assumed it hadn’t been changed.

I think you're using the term "overlap" cam incorrectly. To be an overlap cam means that the intake and the exhaust valves are open at the same time. I believe in this sense all the stock cams are in fact overlap cams.

Your question though, there shouldn't be 2 cylinders with both valves closed at either tdc.

There's a "shortcut" method of doing valves that illustrates this.

Find TDC for cylinder #1, and adjust both valves on #1, AND the intake on #2 and the exhaust on #4. Rotate the engine 360 degrees (this will be TDC for #3). Now adjust both valves on #3, AND the intake on #4 and the exhaust on #2.

About overlap cams, I've often wondered if adjusting valves with this in mind would be beneficial? I'm not sure if these specs are correct for a 914, but all the cam specs I've seen for vw's have a similar overlap:

IO:12 BTDC
IC: 42 ABDC
EO: 43 BBDC
EC: 4 ATDC

Would you be getting more lift to set the intake at say 13º btdc and the exhaust say 5º atdc? —At tdc you're not on the base circle of either intake or exhaust, right?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jdamiano
post Oct 5 2022, 05:53 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,981
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Oct 5 2022, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(jdamiano @ Oct 5 2022, 02:58 PM) *

I think you're using the term "overlap" cam incorrectly. To be an overlap cam means that the intake and the exhaust valves are open at the same time. I believe in this sense all the stock cams are in fact overlap cams.

Your question though, there shouldn't be 2 cylinders with both valves closed at either tdc.

There's a "shortcut" method of doing valves that illustrates this.

Find TDC for cylinder #1, and adjust both valves on #1, AND the intake on #2 and the exhaust on #4. Rotate the engine 360 degrees (this will be TDC for #3). Now adjust both valves on #3, AND the intake on #4 and the exhaust on #2.

About overlap cams, I've often wondered if adjusting valves with this in mind would be beneficial? I'm not sure if these specs are correct for a 914, but all the cam specs I've seen for vw's have a similar overlap:

IO:12 BTDC
IC: 42 ABDC
EO: 43 BBDC
EC: 4 ATDC

Would you be getting more lift to set the intake at say 13º btdc and the exhaust say 5º atdc? —At tdc you're not on the base circle of either intake or exhaust, right?

I see now. I was reading the Pelican Parts instructions wrong. I was reading it 1 and 3 not 1 or 3 and was expecting two cylinders to be TDC at the same time. Thanks for the explanation. I need to start keeping some readers in the garage.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:47 PM