Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what were they thinking, transmission issue never seen
doobie123
post Oct 4 2022, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,683
Region Association: Southwest Region

hi ya'll
I'm working on a 1975 914, 1.8, 5 Spd
it needs a clutch so I removed the engine and trans so I could give them both a bath and service the engine bay too.
while cleaning the trans I discovered what you see in the attached photos. on top of a big blob of silicone caulk was a smaller sized but no less of a blob of JB weld. underneath that was what is shown in the pic of what looks like a washer and a brass disc. they are also spinning in that hole
the location of this "fix" is at he very back of the trans where the trans bolts to a cross brace which bolts to the the frame, just above the speedo drive in the center of what looks like a cover separate but bolted to the trans case. it was obvious it was put there to stop a leak as that area was covered with dirt and grease.
so my questions are what should that cover look like? what is the correct fix? can that cover just be removed for inspection/repair/replacement without having to dismantle the trans? also, any info anyone has on something like this.
thanks in advance.Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
doobie123
post Oct 4 2022, 01:50 PM
Post #2

just noticed I posted the pic upside-down
+Quote Post
914andy
post Oct 4 2022, 02:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,929
Region Association: None

Been awhile since I've been into one....but it looks like someone tried to put it back together "wrong" and used a hammer to try and seat it. Then the shaft punched a hole in the housing. Should be able to find a used "end cap" and hope nothing else was damaged

Andy
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Oct 4 2022, 03:28 PM
Post #4

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

You need to replace the rear cover, I think that is the shift rod coming out the back cover.

Attached Image

Part number depends on /6 /4 early or /4 late
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Oct 4 2022, 04:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

dome bump in casting has been shattered off.
for reasons noted above.

Attached Image

edit

noticed something interesting.
part # on your casting is 914 301 302 00
parts catalogue says 914 301 032 00
can't easily see the part number cast into mine -up there with muffler bracket in the way.
another typo in the parts catalogue?
+Quote Post
doobie123
post Oct 4 2022, 06:47 PM
Post #6

thanks for the replies. will that case back be a straight remove and replace assuming there is no other damage?
interesting about the #s. i'll be calling auto atlanta for a replacement. i'll post anything i learn on that.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Oct 4 2022, 11:04 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(doobie123 @ Oct 4 2022, 06:47 PM) *

thanks for the replies. will that case back be a straight remove and replace assuming there is no other damage?
interesting about the #s. i'll be calling auto atlanta for a replacement. i'll post anything i learn on that.

just stuck my head up in there on mine.
same part # as you. third group of numbers is 302 like your casting.
its a 74 1.8

here is PET catalogue.
another typo to add to others that have been found.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post Oct 5 2022, 07:25 AM
Post #8

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Had a similar issue once. At some point someone tried to "torque" the the bolt that has the speedo gear in it to 80(?) ft lbs with a chisel. It backed out, and the trans effectively used the speedo gear to bore a hole in the cover while I was driving ~40mph. Talk about a mess to clean up...

I'd anticipate needing the aforementioned bolt with speedo gear in addition to the cover, and would try contacting the good @Dr Evil regarding good used parts and any info needed to fix it up. His website is https://www.evilwerks.com/
+Quote Post
doobie123
post Oct 5 2022, 03:56 PM
Post #9

ok a bit of an update. took the back cover off and the attached pic shows what came with it. part of the speed o drive and a set of gears.
i'm not sure how to remove them. i can see what looks like a pin but i'm not sure if banging that out will do the trick and also, which way will it come out?
another concern is the needle bearings on the end of the gear. are those gonna go flying if im banging on the cover.
thanks for all the past help and i hope your still following along/Users/ginger/Desktop/IMG-2617.jpg
+Quote Post
doobie123
post Oct 5 2022, 04:00 PM
Post #10

ok hers the pic, sorryAttached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 5 2022, 05:09 PM
Post #11

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Oct 5 2022, 07:25 AM) *

Had a similar issue once. At some point someone tried to "torque" the the bolt that has the speedo gear in it to 80(?) ft lbs with a chisel. It backed out, and the trans effectively used the speedo gear to bore a hole in the cover while I was driving ~40mph. Talk about a mess to clean up...

I'd anticipate needing the aforementioned bolt with speedo gear in addition to the cover, and would try contacting the good @Dr Evil regarding good used parts and any info needed to fix it up. His website is https://www.evilwerks.com/

happened to me also once....
the trans had been rebuilt... the large nut on the mainshaft loosened up or wasn't torqued correctly....

during the drive it allowed the stack to slide backwards... drilled the brass speedo gear through the back cover... would shift in 2 gears at once, due to the stack shifting back and forth...

to the original poster...
those gears (including the needle bearing) will all lift out... or fall out if you turn the cover over....

lift them out... note the order...
put them into your new to you... replacement cover.

the gasket for that cover is easily available.
it does not change the diff depth.. so just bolt it on with a new gasket.

brant
+Quote Post
doobie123
post Oct 5 2022, 05:47 PM
Post #12

hey brant, thanks for the info. so those gears will just slide off the shaft and then the shaft comes out? also on the speedo drive in the case, i found the tapered bolt. is that the only thing holding the drive in the case?
you also said that in your experience, a bolt had come loose. how would i check mine?
i'm pretty well out of my depth with transmissions so any info would be great.
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post Oct 5 2022, 07:35 PM
Post #13

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Gears slide off the shaft, and the shaft stays in the cover. Replacement cover should have the shaft already.

Tapered bolt on the outside of the cover and a bit of friction should be the only thing holding in that portion of the speedo drive. There is a replacement available that has 2 O-rings to prevent leakage. Replacement drive gear bushing

Bolt in question of coming loose is located in the end of the gear stack on the transmission. The speedo gear is attached in the end of it with a roll pin. Believe the head if the bolt is 30mm. Can be seen in THIS POST being held in Dave's(DNHunt) hand. Requires a deep socket to reach the head past the speedo gear. Check out the rest of his thread for a rough overview of how the parts you're working with go back together.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Oct 7 2022, 12:03 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Over a half century many things can happen, including DAPO's ( and mechanic's) who sometimes in desperation do a bailing wire repair to get them home and never gets corrected properly.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:16 PM