Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help needed in LA to buy a Boxster
AndrewBlyholder
post May 19 2022, 12:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,791

Ok, not really a 914 topic, but...

Looking for something more reliable than my 50 year old 914, I'm toying with the idea of buying a Boxster. I have found one in LA that catches my fancy, but it's at a somewhat old school used car dealer in Corona, CA. Can't take it out for a pre-purchase inspection, can only test drive it over their designated route, etc. Not a very user friendly place. All those are red flags, but I'm not writing it off yet.

I'm in the San Francisco area. Before I fly down to look at this thing, I was hoping to find someone local to Corona that could at least check it out for me, test drive it, tell me what you think of it. Anyone out there interested? If so, you can contact me directly at a.g.blyholder@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Andrew B.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mlindner
post May 19 2022, 04:17 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Well, before you do that do they have any service records or past owners names. What year is it and has it had a IMS replacement. If you can't get that kind of information I think I would keep looking.
+Quote Post
Van B
post May 19 2022, 05:51 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Walk away man. It's a boxter. If they won't allow a PPI, there is a reason.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 19 2022, 07:34 AM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Tons of Boxsters out there. If this dealership will not permit a PPI at a reputable local shop, there is something wrong. Not worth the gamble. Find an owner/seller car and get all of the information right from them. Good luck with the hunt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Not sure of your budget, but '09 models took a giant leap forward and that would be my target range.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 19 2022, 09:37 AM
Post #5

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 19 2022, 06:34 AM) *

Tons of Boxsters out there. If this dealership will not permit a PPI at a reputable local shop, there is something wrong. Not worth the gamble. Find an owner/seller car and get all of the information right from them. Good luck with the hunt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Not sure of your budget, but '09 models took a giant leap forward and that would be my target range.

I couldn't agree more. Keep walking. If you really want this particular car check and see if they will let someone come take a look at it. Some dealerships won't allow a PPI off site, but will allow it to happen on their premises.

I'm local to you, also in Richmond, and I also toyed with the idea of getting a Boxster recently. A found a few in the area, but ultimately decided to go a different route. I think you can find one locally if you aren't in a big rush. I wouldn't travel out of the area to get one from a dealer.... If he is not too overwhelmed with work I would recommend Eason Auto Works in Oakland for a PPI. Not cheap, but Bill Eason is thorough and really knows his stuff. You also might try giving him a call to see if he has any leads. He helped me find my 1973 914 2.0.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 19 2022, 09:41 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Several years ago I was somewhat in the market for a Boxter. Great, they can be had on the cheap, but full of electronics, IMS, ... and the seller is not willing to offer a PPI?

Run Will Run
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 19 2022, 09:56 AM
Post #7

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I have a B-in-L whom I found and purchased an '09 Boxster S, PDK, Macadamia Brown with brown interior, 1-owner, non-smoker, low mileage car for. The deal was when it came time for him to part with it, I would get first right of refusal. I really liked that car for a DD. Then he moved to Montana- God knows what that car looks like now. Bummer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
drem914
post May 19 2022, 10:03 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,062
Region Association: Southern California

PM sent @AndrewBlyholder
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:21 PM