Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tangerine Pushrod Tubes & Seals, Did they work for you?
pbanders
post May 18 2022, 04:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 805

Looking for feedback on the Tangerine pushrod tubes and seals:

http://www.tangerineracing.com/pushrodtubes.htm

Mine leak some, even with new seals, and I don't want to goop up the seals with silicone or whatever to fix it. Anyone else try these? Looking for feedback. My engine is a stock 2.0 L, I assume if I get these I just need the stock length? Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post May 18 2022, 07:25 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,687
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Following…….. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 18 2022, 07:41 PM
Post #3

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Leaks are caused by assembly practices when it comes to stock tubes. Most of the time the seals are cut/ injured by a sharp edge or burr inside the bore of the cylinder head. This is usually at the entrance of the pushrod tube bore.

I assemble these using Molybdenum disulfide grease as an assembly lube and very seldom ever have to use sealant. If a sealant is used, make it Hylomar so the tube retains the expansion characteristics. A hardening sealant defeats this purpose.

A more common issue is the PR tubes contacting the exhaust tubing, which transfers heat into the tube and also shifts the tube off center of the bore, both of these will cause a leak.

Pushrod tubes could be made from Titanium to exacting specs, and if the installation practices are botched, you'll still have a leak. I use Viton seals and refurbish original 40+ year old PR tubes using zinc plating. My engines stay so dry underneath that they'll start to rust after a decade.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post May 18 2022, 08:29 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Yes.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 18 2022, 09:28 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Please post your experience if you do this
I will buy them if you like them.

Rich
+Quote Post
72914wrx
post May 18 2022, 11:24 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,298
Region Association: None

Have a set on my dads car no leaks look great!
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post May 19 2022, 06:40 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2022, 11:28 PM) *

Tangerine's? I have them on both engines, street and race.

I like them for a few reasons:

- They're not the cheap thin Coke can aluminum tubes that seem to be popular now. They're made of sturdy Stainless.

- I'm guessing they're slightly larger diameter with machined grooves for Viton o-rings. When you slide them in you get a satisfying solid "thunk" so you know they are seated very well. I use a little engine oil on the o-rings as assembly lube.

- Uses a smaller diameter tube where it gets close to the exhaust stub in a couple places, better clearance for my Tangerine headers.

- Chris has welded a flange around each one, making removal easier. No more clamping Vice-Grips (or whatever) around the tube, simply lever against that flange to pop them out.

- Available in custom size, though I did not need it, even when I needed shorter pushrod tubes.

- And most importantly: no leaks.

+Quote Post
pbanders
post May 19 2022, 10:56 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 805

Thanks for all the input. I'll likely update to these at my next valve adjustment, and will reply here as to the install and if they are effective at stopping leaks.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 19 2022, 11:11 AM
Post #9

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(pbanders @ May 19 2022, 12:56 PM) *

Thanks for all the input. I'll likely update to these at my next valve adjustment, and will reply here as to the install and if they are effective at stopping leaks.

@pbanders

i have found that leaks are due to what Jake said. Lewis Broyles( porsche mechanic) told me either Napa Sil-glide or the moly grease will allow the seal to slide over edge without getting cut or creased, dont force it get a slight twist motion to it. I did once side this last time with the Sil-glide silicone and other side with moly about 6 weeks back and so far no leaking on any of them. Used Viton Seals again so far so good. I did notice that the other ones i took out, several were leaking and upon inspection you can see theres a slight cut or bind on instal so they leaked. these also were new heads so i made sure i didnt have a edge or rough spot on the head along where that seal goes into the groove, so check the heads before you install as well.

Now hope i can do as good a job on my second attempt at installing anew transmission output shaft seal, that one is leaking already, even a bigger pain in the ass than the pushrod tube seals, removing the transmission again !!!!

Good luck
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post May 19 2022, 06:51 PM
Post #10

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

While I don't have the Tangerine pushrod tubes, I've never been disappointed with anything I've purchased from Tangerine. Whatever Chris puts together has a lot of thought, experience, and engineering built in. And he supports his products extensively.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 19 2022, 08:53 PM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ May 19 2022, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(pbanders @ May 19 2022, 12:56 PM) *

@pbanders

i have found that leaks are due to what Jake said. Lewis Broyles( porsche mechanic) told me either Napa Sil-glide or the moly grease will allow the seal to slide over edge without getting cut or creased, dont force it get a slight twist motion to it. I did once side this last time with the Sil-glide silicone and other side with moly about 6 weeks back and so far no leaking on any of them. Used Viton Seals again so far so good. I did notice that the other ones i took out, several were leaking and upon inspection you can see theres a slight cut or bind on instal so they leaked. these also were new heads so i made sure i didnt have a edge or rough spot on the head along where that seal goes into the groove, so check the heads before you install as well.

Now hope i can do as good a job on my second attempt at installing anew transmission output shaft seal, that one is leaking already, even a bigger pain in the ass than the pushrod tube seals, removing the transmission again !!!!

Good luck

Sil- Glide does work well for leak- free assembly. I've had good luck with it, but haven't used it as much as "moly-B"
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 20 2022, 04:06 PM
Post #12

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I've been using Dow55 O-ring grease, but like Jake said the big one is to clean up all the sharp edges so you don't cut the seal.
I also lightly polish the bores with a fine grit flapper wheel.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 20 2022, 09:44 PM
Post #13

Custom Member

QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 19 2022, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2022, 11:28 PM) *

Tangerine's? I have them on both engines, street and race.

I like them for a few reasons:

- They're not the cheap thin Coke can aluminum tubes that seem to be popular now. They're made of sturdy Stainless.

- I'm guessing they're slightly larger diameter with machined grooves for Viton o-rings. When you slide them in you get a satisfying solid "thunk" so you know they are seated very well. I use a little engine oil on the o-rings as assembly lube.

- Uses a smaller diameter tube where it gets close to the exhaust stub in a couple places, better clearance for my Tangerine headers.

- Chris has welded a flange around each one, making removal easier. No more clamping Vice-Grips (or whatever) around the tube, simply lever against that flange to pop them out.

- Available in custom size, though I did not need it, even when I needed shorter pushrod tubes.

- And most importantly: no leaks.

Flange to remove them, genius!
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 20 2022, 09:44 PM
Post #14

Custom Member

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ May 19 2022, 08:51 PM) *

While I don't have the Tangerine pushrod tubes, I've never been disappointed with anything I've purchased from Tangerine. Whatever Chris puts together has a lot of thought, experience, and engineering built in. And he supports his products extensively.

100% agree!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:51 AM