Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rennsport Renuion VII, Laguna Seca. Sept. 28 - Oct. 1. 2023
Elvira
post May 17 2022, 07:05 PM
Post #1

Mistress of the Dark

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,984
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

See you there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post May 17 2022, 08:14 PM
Post #2

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Hmmm, black 914 caravan from LA? I’m putting it on the calendar.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Michael N
post May 17 2022, 10:01 PM
Post #3

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164
Region Association: Northern California

I’ll be there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 18 2022, 06:43 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I’ll be there!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 18 2022, 07:51 AM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2022/com...2023-28040.html

I am hoping to be able to attend this as it is a reasonable drive to get there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
lalee914
post May 18 2022, 08:01 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,521
Region Association: North East States

I'm coming from Delaware. Reasonable drive be damned.......
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 18 2022, 09:05 AM
Post #7

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I am VERY disappointed in Porsche Cars North America.

This is supposed to be an event for All Porsche enthusiasts.

“California and Porsche are a dream pairing, and the Monterey Peninsula is an ideal spot to bring the two together for an unforgettable weekend with so much happening both on and off the track” said Kjell Gruner, President and CEO of Porsche Cars North America Inc. “Rennsport Reunion is for everyone"

Tell this to the guy from Miami who would have to travel 44 hours (2,973 miles) to attend. Or someone from from Boston who has to travel 47 hr (3,194 miles) to attend.

Having this in California is not inclusive. There are lots of tracks such as Road America, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, or Circuit of the Americas that would at least be somewhat centrally located in the US.

Alienating more than half of your enthusiasts is not a way to increase your sales or business.

Just my $.02.

Clay
+Quote Post
beech4rd
post May 18 2022, 09:32 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,445
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I went to the first one at Lime Rock park. Spoke at length to Derek Bell about his Le Mans experiences. Won't forget that.
How many of you Californians attended?

Chris
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 18 2022, 10:01 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

But curious if the bean counters are basing there decisions on previous attendance. It does seem like all major car events are either West Coast or East Coast. Do to funds and time off work, I have yet to attend an event on the opposite coast. If the event was in the middle, I probably still wouldn't attend it. I only attend attend events in CA or AZ, since I live in So Cal.
Monterey is still 6 hours north with no traffic, so realistically with stops 8 hours.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post May 18 2022, 11:29 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

We’ve attended RR3 & RR4, as well as the PCA Parade in Monterey, and find it to be a great place to have the event as there’s plenty of things to see out there as well as Laguna Seca. Make a nice vacation out of it!
+Quote Post
914_teener
post May 18 2022, 11:32 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 18 2022, 08:05 AM) *

“California and Porsche are a dream pairing, and the Monterey Peninsula is an ideal spot to bring the two together for an unforgettable weekend with so much happening both on and off the track” said Kjell Gruner, President and CEO of Porsche Cars North America Inc. “Rennsport Reunion is for everyone"

Tell this to the guy from Miami who would have to travel 44 hours (2,973 miles) to attend. Or someone from from Boston who has to travel 47 hr (3,194 miles) to attend.

Having this in California is not inclusive. There are lots of tracks such as Road America, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, or Circuit of the Americas that would at least be somewhat centrally located in the US.

Alienating more than half of your enthusiasts is not a way to increase your sales or business.

Just my $.02.

Clay

The answer is simple Clay. There is no Corkscrew at Indy. And yes...I've been to Lime Rock....have you been to Monterey? Howbout "us" instead of "you"?
+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post May 18 2022, 04:25 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 17,687

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 18 2022, 10:05 AM) *

Just my $.02.

Clay

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) With you Clay.
Indy and COTA are great Examples.
As a Midwest, Wisconsin based guy, Road America would be a great venue, Kettle Moraine scenic. drives, Midwest hospitality, Throttlestop, not to mention “supper clubs” and Real Midwest Old Fashions” any one who has been any where near Road America probably knows what I am talking about.
Not to mention, Wisconsin has a few Great Porsche shops. Kelly Moss, Accumoto, Zero to 60 just to mention a few.
Also have a few more in IL. Perfect Power for example.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post May 18 2022, 05:11 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Cmon ya'll its a beautiful venue.

You've been there Clay I've seen you there...many moons ago.

Besides...Porsche follows the money and tradition. If CA were a country it would be their 5th biggest market.

More than 40% of their sales in NA are in CA. That was in 2019. Not sure about now as alot of Taycans are being sold. I own their biggest seller.

I'll be there...would be good to see old friends before the dirt covers us all.

It's a PCNA event and not a solely PCA thing.

They are just following what pays for them...can't blame them and it's a great opportunity to show the new EV's which is the way it's going....like it or not.
+Quote Post
carr914
post May 18 2022, 06:51 PM
Post #14

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

went to Lime Rock & Daytona. Porsche needs to spread things out. Laguna Seca is great Road Atlanta would be nice!
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 18 2022, 07:08 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(beech4rd @ May 18 2022, 08:32 AM) *

I went to the first one at Lime Rock park. Spoke at length to Derek Bell about his Le Mans experiences. Won't forget that.

Chris

I was at Lime Rock for the first one, and it was great. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Also traveled to Daytona for RR2 and RR3, which was cool—but I suspect it's difficult for PCNA to ignore past attendance numbers. Even if some of these are off, the pattern is obvious.

RR1 @ Lime Rock: 1,500 (?) attendees
RR2 @ Daytona: 3,000~
RR3 @ Daytona: 3,500~
RR4 @ Laguna: 30,000+
RR5 @ Laguna: 57,300
RR6 @ Laguna: 81,550

I'd love to see Rennsport at Road America, Road Atlanta, or Watkins Glen—but Laguna is alone (?) among North American tracks in having hotels and services for huge crowds nearby, international tourism pull, and a lot of attractions for family members who don't want to go to the track. It's also a great track to drive.

Sears Point comes (sort of…) close with the wine country, and is also great to drive (if riskier), but doesn't have the name recognition and is a longer haul for the LA crowd where Laguna can pull from north and south. As much as I'd like to see it move around, I can't say I blame the people who had to make it work for choosing Laguna again.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post May 18 2022, 08:09 PM
Post #16

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 18 2022, 06:08 PM) *

Chris

I was at Lime Rock for the first one, and it was great. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Also traveled to Daytona for RR2 and RR3, which was cool—but I suspect it's difficult for PCNA to ignore past attendance numbers. Even if some of these are off, the pattern is obvious.

I'd love to see Rennsport at Road America, Road Atlanta, or Watkins Glen—but Laguna is alone (?) among North American tracks in having hotels and services for huge crowds nearby, international tourism pull, and a lot of attractions for family members who don't want to go to the track. It's also a great track to drive.

Sears Point comes (sort of…) close with the wine country, and is also great to drive (if riskier), but doesn't have the name recognition and is a longer haul for the LA crowd where Laguna can pull from north and south. As much as I'd like to see it move around, I can't say I blame the people who had to make it work for choosing Laguna again.

Thank you, I was going to look that up myself. After RR4 several articles came out talking about how RR4 had been alienating one of its largest growing markets on the west coast, they stayed and its only grown since, sorry, the $$$ is out here.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post May 18 2022, 09:11 PM
Post #17

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

I have attended the past 3 Rennsports at Laguna Seca. It is indeed a fabulous venue, and I can understand why they selected it again. After the fun filled fantasy come to life experience of RR IV, I vowed never to miss any future ones. I was really hoping this one would be at Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta or COTA. I guess I will have to find some other excuse for a cross country road trip.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 18 2022, 09:44 PM
Post #18

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

I'll be there for sure as well - I love Laguna Seca and really look forward to it, but agree it would've been a nice change to go someplace else.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 19 2022, 07:41 AM
Post #19

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Yeah, I am planning on attending because it is only about a 4.5 hour drive to get there.

The farthest trip I have planned for my car is WCR in Brookings, OR, which will be about 550 miles and 8.5 hours. However, since we will be caravanning there and back, it should be a lot of fun. Any further, I would consider trailering just so I would not be worried about the trip. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

With gas prices now being $6.50 a gallon... I hate going to the gas station.
+Quote Post
gms
post May 19 2022, 09:41 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 18 2022, 08:08 PM) *

Chris

Pete you hit the nail on the head! I see three factors involved in the decision
1 Amenities - hotels, restaurants and tourist activities.
2 Attendance – if the above cannot support large crowds attendance will be diminished.
3 Race Cars – the event is about Porsche's race history and some of the best example live out west.

I love Road America (my local track) but the hotels and restaurants could not support the event. IMHO Daytona was the roomiest track with the best hotel and restaurant situation and many great cars attended.
Lime Rock was the worst no hotels, restaurants and no racing on Sunday

I will be there again because there is nothing like it!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:24 AM