Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some new design/render work
Optimusglen
post Jan 21 2022, 05:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hello all, many of you might remember some older posts of mine, rendering images and such. I've been hard at it for the past few years and even had the start of a Singer-meets-Guntherworks 914 restomod project working with Sung Kang.

Sadly, the project with Sung has been put on hold, and it's looking like it will be a much smaller scale if and when it does ever come to pass. Originally it was going to be 10 cars, now it's likely 1 car... sometime in the future. That project was dubbed the Viceroy 914 (no relation to the race car)

The project may be on hold, but I still love 914's and practicing design. I'm also interested in continuing the design for my own personal car. So while the car I show you here today is not necessarily a Viceroy 914, I'd sure you'll pick up a few cues from that car, and who knows maybe Sung will like this enough to get the project rolling again.

This one I'm going to call the 914-6 GT-C (mostly because my initials are GTC... ) I'll describe a few of my thought processes, but when I'm laying out surfaces and designing things sometimes the creativity just flows. So I may have made something where I can't verbally say why I did it, it just felt right. This car isn't for purists, but it's closer than many of my previous designs.

So, here we go!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-19709-1642806006.1.jpg)

The first thing you're likely looking at is the flares. I made these as GT-esque but you'll notice several differences. First off, I wanted a GT-style flare that could be bolted on. This would utilize hidden fasteners or even adhesive, but it will still have a visible seam.

I also wanted a flare that could be installed without needing to fabricate or source valences or rocker covers. I like the narrow-body parts in this circumstance because it gives the car the look like it's light on it's feet, even with such big wheels.

I created my 3D CAD model from laser scan data, a remnant of the Viceroy project. So these parts could literally be sent to the 3D printer now.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-19709-1642806007.2.jpg)

Next, you'll see a nice angle of the duckbill. This is a throwback to my watercooled VW days, I had several MK1 Rabbits back in the day, and the duckbill spoiler was one of my favorite add-ons to the early cars.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-19709-1642806007.3.jpg)

The sail panel, rocker covers, and front/rear valences are all painted in a gunmetal metallic color. And I have a Saratoga-style roof installed. For my personal car, I don't think I'd do that type of roof, but it worked well for the concept renderings I felt.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-19709-1642806007.4.jpg)

Making a return from MANY of my older concepts is the roof spoiler finished in piano black. This time toned down to just give a subtle hint. There's been a LOT of conversation on the aero side of this coin, in that it's most likely to have slightly detrimental effects on engine airflow. In my opinion, worth it for the style it brings.

The Viceroy steering wheel is in place of course. This part of the project was well underway when the rest had it's plug pulled. I'm happy to say that these are available and selling now.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-19709-1642806007.5.jpg)

Out back is a fairly standard valence with a cutout for a drivers side dual exhaust. The muffler is a suitcase style, with ribbing for structure.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-19709-1642806007.6.jpg)

The color pays homage to a VW color, Inari Silver, but I tweaked it a bit based on my own taste. If (and when) I paint my car this color, I'll need to browse through some color books and find something close or get it custom mixed.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-19709-1642806007.7.jpg)

The tires are wide, and big. I pulled the wheels and tires from a Singer 911 model and so I believe they're 17's. Would they shower the bodywork with rocks and dirt? You bet. That's a problem for future Glen.

Way too wide for my current 2.2 6-cyl. But hey, modifying and building up is part of the game right?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-19709-1642806007.8.jpg)

I kept the lighting simple, likewise as much of the bodywork as possible. My goal was to make this attainable, so no custom air intakes on the lights, fenders, sides etc. Stock bumpers and tops. etc.

Will it be built?

We'll see.

To see more rendering work feel free to visit my website glencordle.com or my Instagram @Glen-Cordle
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 21 2022, 05:32 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Super nice. Build it, please.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Jan 21 2022, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Stunning images Glen - thx for sharing.

On the roof spoiler topic: I have often wondered what a "flow director" band on the rear of the roof - somewhat like a Lancia Stratos, or BMW 3.0CSL - might look like on a 914. It could attach to those 6 bolt holes under the top piece on brackets, so the targa top could still be removed easily.

Probably a rear lip spoiler on the trunk would be needed to tie in visually - although I doubt none of it would improve rear downforce or airflow over the engine / rear trunk area.

2c...

- Tony
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rgb91424
post Jan 21 2022, 06:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,709

Love it
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jan 21 2022, 07:54 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jan 21 2022, 06:14 PM) *

Stunning images Glen - thx for sharing.

On the roof spoiler topic: I have often wondered what a "flow director" band on the rear of the roof - somewhat like a Lancia Stratos, or BMW 3.0CSL - might look like on a 914. It could attach to those 6 bolt holes under the top piece on brackets, so the targa top could still be removed easily.

Probably a rear lip spoiler on the trunk would be needed to tie in visually - although I doubt none of it would improve rear downforce or airflow over the engine / rear trunk area.

2c...

- Tony

I've heard that one or twice before, the trunk spoiler, however I haven't found or thought of one that looks better than a smooth stock trunk. This isn't a track weapon, just a slick GT.
+Quote Post
jkb081
post Jan 21 2022, 08:14 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 26,018

Wow!! Beautiful car! I love the roof. Could that roof actually be a reality? As far as the roof spoiler is concerned, the car will probably never go fast enough to be a factor. Excellent work!! Thanks for sharing.
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Jan 21 2022, 08:38 PM
Post #7

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

FANTASTIC Work....Thank you for sharing!!

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post Jan 21 2022, 08:50 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,687

As always, love all the things you do! It looks perfect just the way it is.
Excellent, just…….Excellent!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Jan 21 2022, 09:04 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

Very creative. The color and flare concept is amazing. Throw in some dimple die sheet metal pieces. Maybe some nickle plated hardware too.
+Quote Post
Dion
post Jan 21 2022, 09:09 PM
Post #10

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It’s beautiful!
First thing I thought was “hey he’s a Mk 1 fan”
That front lip spoiler caught my eye immediately.
So cool. Has an aggressive Rallye car style to with the way the flares are presented.
Keep it coming.
Your renditions are awesome.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Jan 21 2022, 09:18 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Awesome as usual.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jan 21 2022, 10:07 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yes, very cool and incredibly well done. And not even one little rust bubble.
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Jan 21 2022, 10:49 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 20,392
Region Association: None

Love your renderings. I have thought about the ribbed style muffler. I have a Boxster muffler sitting in the garage waiting to be modified as a future project. As I like the ribbed look of what is exposed and visible but also wanted center outlet muffler.

john
+Quote Post
pfreiburger
post Jan 22 2022, 02:27 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 24,738
Region Association: None

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for reminding me about Inari Silver - it was a favorite of mine many years ago when I worked for a VW dealer. Somehow I had forgot about it and your car brought back memories. So many great ideas in your concept, I really hope it gets built.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 22 2022, 06:03 AM
Post #15

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 22 2022, 08:26 AM
Post #16

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Love your work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 22 2022, 11:54 AM
Post #17

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I've been thinking of doing a custom front lip spoiler, nice to see a different design.
Cool stuff! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jan 22 2022, 05:25 PM
Post #18

Thanks for the input guys!

I have a line on someone to CNC the flare molds from foam, an outfit that I had briefly considered moving to Nevada to work there. They do a lot of supercars and have some solid experience.

The lay up would be all on my own, and I'm new to the process, but I can't NOT pursue it.

I also ordered a VW duckbill. Figured I can cut and trim as needed as a first shot.
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Jan 22 2022, 06:33 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 5,610

That is one of the best looking 914s I have ever seen. Keep up the good work!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 22 2022, 06:46 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jan 22 2022, 03:25 PM) *

Thanks for the input guys!

I have a line on someone to CNC the flare molds from foam, an outfit that I had briefly considered moving to Nevada to work there. They do a lot of supercars and have some solid experience.

The lay up would be all on my own, and I'm new to the process, but I can't NOT pursue it.

I also ordered a VW duckbill. Figured I can cut and trim as needed as a first shot.

@Optimusglen - I've done mold making and vacuum bagged, wet layup of carbon fiber. It's all very straight forward. I'd be happy to share my lessons learned, try and answer any questions, point you to suppliers I've used, etc. PM me if I can help at all.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:21 PM