Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Took a long ride in a Cayman
PanelBilly
post Jan 16 2022, 10:59 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Went to breakfast with the PCA folks yesterday and rode in my friend’s 2008 Cayman. After spending 2 hours in the car I concluded that it wasn’t the car for me. I had thought that adding a newer pcar to the family would be fun and that the older midengine would be a smart choice. It just didn’t make me smile like the 914. When we were done with breakfast the line of cars all looked alike. I noticed that people notice more about the color of these cars than the lines of the body. No visual excitement

I need to get my locks fixed and get my car back on the road!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 16 2022, 11:12 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 16 2022, 11:59 AM) *

I noticed that people notice more about the color of these cars than the lines of the body. No visual excitement

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Welcome to modern automobiles.

Porsche's used to be distinct. Both to the rest of the automotive world and also within the brand. They were so distinct, even my wife could ID them by visual appearance.

Now at 1/8 mile I can't tell a Cayman from a 911 from a Macan from a Panamera.

After 25 years in the industry, I love the 914 even more for what it is. Even more for the fact that it is everything a modern car isn't.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
slivel
post Jan 16 2022, 11:29 AM
Post #3

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332
Region Association: Southern California

I've got one of each - 14 CS and 75 914/6 conversion. Only thing in common is that they both are mid-engine. I love them both but for different reasons. My 914 is loud and brash and beats me up a bit but always brings a smile to my face. Long drives are not what I do in this car. The Cayman is refined and certainly more modern and excells at being athletic while also being enjoyable on long drives, especially when you want to wring it out in the twisties for a time and then relax and just enjoy the scenery. I'm not tempted to part with either one of them.
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 16 2022, 11:48 AM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That is one low Cayman! I like both of your cars. I have always thought the Cayman was a great "evolved" 914. I think it may be the best platform Porsche has developed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
davehg
post Jan 16 2022, 02:31 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,443

I love the look of the original Cayman S, and the new GT4 RS is pretty awesome too, and a relative bargain at $150k compared to the 911 version.

But I agree with Billy - the old cars are what I like to drive.

I drove a 997.1 fully expecting to write a check. It was fast and competent but it didn’t light up my brain the way the 914 did.

After a few years of tire kicking, I just committed to a one owner 1974 911s. The PCA unwashed warned me about the 2.7 issues, not understanding that the 74 had none of the smog stuff of the 75-77 cars. The car is everything a 997.1 is not and I love how the older cars handle, feel, and sound.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 16 2022, 02:50 PM
Post #6

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I had my 71 914 at the Pittsburgh Historic Grand Prix car show last July and there were only a couple of 914s out of the approximately 200 Porsche's. Many people stopped by to look at my 914 whereas most of the cars were newer models, most w/o that pesky 3rd peddle for the clutch. You could look down the rows of new Porsche's and they all looked the same. The older 911's and 914's really stood out.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jan 16 2022, 03:59 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

PanelBeilly, I've had a 2007 Cayman S for the last five years after having a 1998 993 Cararra S for 18 years. My 914-6 GT Tribute got on the road this last summer and is a blast.....but not a Cayman... did you drive it and at speed, just a great car. Is it better than my GT-6? No, just a better version of it. Best, Mark
+Quote Post
Cal
post Jan 16 2022, 04:58 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

Comparing the 914 and the Cayman is like comparing apples and oranges….both cars are entertaining for different reasons. I happen to have a ‘74 2.0L and an ‘08 Cayman and enjoy them for different reasons. I love the 914 for it’s character/ uniqueness and design along with the old school air-cooled engine. The Cayman, while much newer, is a beautiful design and has much more character than anything else at the price point. Living in NE the Cayman affords me the opportunity to enjoy a newer mid-engine Porsche more frequently throughout the year. If you’d like to see what the potential of a 987 Cayman is you should attend a track day and have a PCA instructor take you out for a hot lap….your option might change.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Jan 16 2022, 05:05 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I miss my 2008 Cayman. On one trip, left ABQ NM at 5:00 PM and arrived in Suffolk, VA 1.5 days later at 5:00 AM. Lost 2 hours in time zone change too. 29 mpg average. Couldn't do that in a 914!

Of the modern Porsches, the early 5 speed base Cayman feels the most like early cars.
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Jan 16 2022, 05:16 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

At one point, I had both these. I sold the 12K mile 40th Anniversary 911 because I preferred the base Cayman. And I still love my 914 GT all the same!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 16 2022, 06:03 PM
Post #11

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

That's a good assessment Billy, thanks.

I've always like the look and lines of a Cayman. Never had any seat time in one though.

I need another car like I need another hole in my head.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jan 16 2022, 06:25 PM
Post #12

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

I have thought about Cayman Comfort, but for long drives the 914 is tough to beat. Luggage space like a SUV. Seats that work for my several damaged vertebrae and discs. Fun to drive. Good range. The 4 cylinder teener has taken me to both Rt 66 and Ockteenerfest. I drove it home from Baltimore with a very messed up fuel pressure regulator. The 3.2 has taken me to West Coast Ramble and Rt 66.

I am old. Real old. But it seems like not old enough. Would like hot and cold running air though. The Caymans may not look as cool as a 914, but they look cool to me. Nother sight of age….
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 16 2022, 09:43 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

What most are describing, or lacking, is s-o-u-l. Although all versions of the newer cars are way more capable than the standard 914-6; they are almost too refined. I have tracked at speed nearly all of these and in my opinion the 981 has the most "soul" of these late model variants; and the highest limits. I agree, nothing beats an old car in feeding the senses right down to your ass...

Cracker
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Jan 16 2022, 10:04 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

I consider my 2008 base Cayman to be an evolution of the 914 design had it remained in production. The Cayman is most certainly more reliable and comfortable for distance travel, and my Cayenne diesel an even better improvement for serious daily use and long distance travel. I'm fortunate to have this variety of Porsches, each a different driving experience and source of enjoyment of ownership.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Jan 16 2022, 10:10 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

There is something to being able to redline gear after gear through corners and on the straights.. all the way up to 70? all day that makes a 914 so much fun. Try and drive a modern car like that and you get arrested or dead. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jan 16 2022, 11:00 PM
Post #16

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

I am surprised (and a little disappointed) that you didn't like the Cayman Billy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
If you find something more engaging, plese let me know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

There is NOTHING like a 914 (with a flat 6) if you are seeking Permagrin. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
slivel
post Jan 17 2022, 12:43 PM
Post #17

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jan 16 2022, 09:00 PM) *

I am surprised (and a little disappointed) that you didn't like the Cayman Billy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
If you find something more engaging, plese let me know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

There is NOTHING like a 914 (with a flat 6) if you are seeking Permagrin. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Agree with the flat 6 comment. Billy DID say that he rode in the car for 2 hours. I contend that if he were in the driver's seat for that length of time he might have a more favorable opinion of the Cayman platform. The six in the Cayman also sings a beautiful song.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jan 17 2022, 12:52 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Unfortunately, I aged out of my 914-6s, so now have to ride in a Pig (958 Cayenne). I was fortunate enough to have several 914s and 911s over the years, and I think they’ve been losing that light feel and ‘soul’ since the early 70s. A good friend has a Cayman and a ‘72 911, and he often feels the same.
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Jan 19 2022, 12:40 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,323

@Slivel I agree the only similarity is the mid engine. Otherwise the differences are black and white. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
Seriously though, my buddy has a GT4 and its a respectable beast of a car, but too refined and not as engaging as my 914-6.
QUOTE(slivel @ Jan 16 2022, 09:29 AM) *

Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 19 2022, 02:24 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 16 2022, 11:48 AM) *

That is one low Cayman! I like both of your cars. I have always thought the Cayman was a great "evolved" 914. I think it may be the best platform Porsche has developed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

with you on that. its the best thing they sell right now.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:56 AM