Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blue V8+930 race car with Corvette shifter, Anyone knows about this car?
Montreal914
post Jul 25 2021, 09:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

I have been looking at other shifter options as part of shifter relocation thoughts on my car which is equipped with a side shift 901 box.

Doing a search, I found this V8 conversion race car equipped with a 930 gearbox. It has a Corvette C5-C6 shifter that has the benefit of creating a rotation movement when moving the shift lever left to right in the same direction as the standard 914 side shift shifter.

I was wondering if anyone would have information on the setup of this car which was for sale a few years back. Any knowledge of where this car is today?

Thank you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=222526

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
andys
post Jul 25 2021, 02:27 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

That would be Terry Stewart's car, which he sold a few years ago. He was having troubles with the stock shifter coupled to the 930 trans (a rear shift rod configuration). I suggested he try the Vette shifter housing. The initial install didn't work out too well, as the mounting in the rear by the trans allowed too much flexing. I suggested a change, which I'm confident would have worked out, but I believe he sold the car about this time and don't know where it all ended up.

Since the Vette has the fore/aft/rotational functions, it may work for the side shift trans given that the functions match up.

Good luck,

Andys
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jul 25 2021, 09:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Thank you @andys for the added information. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I am currently looking into the geometry of it all (Corvette shifter box). But yes, exactly a good aspect of this shifter mechanism, the output shaft has the same rotation as the lever, without the side to side movement of the stock 914 shift rod in the tunnel. My hope would be to move back the shifter by about 4" and have a straight up lever like the original Porsche 914-8, yet keeping my console and a factory look (stealth modification).
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 25 2021, 11:51 PM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

What's with the hoop thing on the gas pedal? The whole affair must get wierd when it enters the engine comp.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Jul 26 2021, 12:38 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 25 2021, 09:51 PM) *

What's with the hoop thing on the gas pedal? The whole affair must get wierd when it enters the engine comp.

Thats a jezuz hoop. When the pedal goes down and sticks at full throttle you yell jezuz and then lift it back up with the top of your foot. Its like up-shifting on a motorcycle.

Usually they are to prevent your foot from coming into contact with the cable if it runs outside the tunnel. Tilton pedals have an option for the bracket. I highly suspect they are really in case of a crash so they don't have to cut your feet off when they get caught up.
+Quote Post
Rider914
post Jul 26 2021, 08:41 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,923

I had a throttle return spring pop off one time on a V8 914. A return lever would have been nice. I clutched it, bounced the rev limiter while I found the ignition switch.
Made an awesome backfire about the time I finished pulling the seat cover off....
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jul 26 2021, 08:54 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

We ran the track one Sunday (Streets of Willow) with Stewart (I think) and his blue v8, around 2008. It was kind of lead-and-follow inbetween run groups. The track went into sandstorm conditions and his 9148 was on old scrub slicks, so he toned the throttle down to about 30%; which was great for Matty Lite's 100 hp 2L to keep up with him and watch him slide and drift all over the place! He was mentioning the sale of the car, and didn't see much of the car or driver after that day...super cool dude !
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/marty914.jpg)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:07 PM