Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heater Control Lights
GeorgeKopf
post Jul 24 2021, 10:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,186
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

First of all let me say how unbelievably fantastic this site is. I would be lost without everybody's knowledge, experience and willingness to help.

I'm 99% done with refurbishing my wiring harness. The one remaining question is how the illumination for the heater controls is supposed to work.

There are four light sockets on the back of my heater controls.
Attached Image

According to the wiring diagram, it looks like one of the lights is supposed to come on when the fan is turned on and the other three with the dash illumination.
Attached Image

Do I have this correct?

The wiring harness is a 1973 and I have no idea what year the heater controls are.

Thanks.

George
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Jul 24 2021, 10:37 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

You have it correct. The ‘FAN’ light illuminates when you move that slider to the right. If I remember correctly it only comes on when the slider gets to the I, II or III position.

As a side note, there are notches in those locations inside the slider housing. So you should feel a slight click into the I, II and III positions when the slider reaches that point. There is a small ball bearing held u set a spring loaded clip that engages that notch in each position. Sadly, most of the controls I have seen that ball is missing. Mine included. I tried a BB (.177 I believe) from a BB gun but it was too large. If yours is missing maybe you’ll find something around the house that can replace it.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Jul 24 2021, 10:38 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

Update: on your slider the Blue tile is what should light up. Later models say ‘FAN’.
+Quote Post
GeorgeKopf
post Jul 24 2021, 11:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 25,186
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thank you Rob.

Now that you've confirmed my suspicions, I can make a little wiring harness for the other three lights.

BTW: It looks like my heater controls have a cupped contact (convex side down) that presses into the electrical plates for the fan controls.

Attached Image

Perhaps by 1974 they did away with the ball bearing.

George
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:55 PM