Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Master cylinder installation, First time
EJP914
post Jul 24 2021, 03:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 821

Got the new MC from PMB. Have a bunch of questions on installing. Hopefully you guys can help me.

1. Do you remove the 2 rubber grommets from the new MC and then put them on the flared lines from the reservoir OR do you push the flared lines into the grommets while they are in the MC?

2. Got 2 aluminum washers. Where do they go? In the MC under the grommets?

3. How far down can I pull the plastic lines from the reservoir once disconnected from the reservoir? They look to pass through a rubber boot on the sheet metal. The more space the better under the car for reconnecting???

4. Is there some tool you use to push the grommets back in or is it a wiggle and twist? Would it help if they were lightly coated with brake fluid to get them back in?

5. Read somewhere someone removed their gas tank to do this job. IS that really necessary?

6. If there is a video somewhere on how to do this, please refer me.

Sorry for all the questions. This is my 5th 914 but never had to do this job before.
Thanks for the help.

EJP914
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Jul 24 2021, 05:05 PM
Post #2

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

1. Do you remove the 2 rubber grommets from the new MC and then put them on the flared lines from the reservoir OR do you push the flared lines into the grommets while they are in the MC?

-Put the grommets on the flared lines and then push into MC.

2. Got 2 aluminum washers. Where do they go? In the MC under the grommets?

-Yes under the grommets

3. How far down can I pull the plastic lines from the reservoir once disconnected from the reservoir? They look to pass through a rubber boot on the sheet metal. The more space the better under the car for reconnecting???

-You don't have to disconnect the lines from the reservoir. Just remove the clamp from around the reservoir and pull down as mush as possible. It should give you a few inches to work.

4. Is there some tool you use to push the grommets back in or is it a wiggle and twist? Would it help if they were lightly coated with brake fluid to get them back in?

-Yes, make sure the grommets are lubricated with brake fluid. I use a small screwdriver or some other small blunt tool and go around the grommets several times pushing them down a little bit at a time. Once you think they're fully seated, give them a twist and a tug to make sure they don't come out.

5. Read somewhere someone removed their gas tank to do this job. IS that really necessary?

-Its not necessary to remove the gas tank. Removing the gas tank gives you more space to pull down the reservoir.

6. If there is a video somewhere on how to do this, please refer me.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 24 2021, 10:57 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jul 24 2021, 05:05 PM) *

-Yes, make sure the grommets are lubricated with brake fluid. I use a small screwdriver or some other small blunt tool and go around the grommets several times pushing them down a little bit at a time. Once you think they're fully seated, give them a twist and a tug to make sure they don't come out.

A flare wrench for brake fittings works great for this. I can't remember what size but read the tip on another thread. I couldn't believe how easy it made pulling the grommets into the MC when I tried it.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Jul 25 2021, 09:07 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,549

Ian Karr has a couple of MC videos on his Youtube channel
+Quote Post
EJP914
post Jul 25 2021, 06:27 PM
Post #5

Many thanks for the advice and directions. Its the rubber grommet install that's got me concerned. We'll see how it goes.
EJP914
+Quote Post
frostyf
post Jul 25 2021, 06:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,168
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hi, I recently changed mine for the first time as well and the points from DLEE are on the money. I watched Iain Karrs video, another great resource, but for the one I watched he has an MC from 914rubber with an easy fit kit, so it's already got connections and it's not so much of a struggle as the standard MC connection.

I also had a standard new MC and did find it challenging. Without a lift. Using axle stands on my back.

I used a cheap harbour freight flat blade screwdriver after bending the shank in a U and ground off any sharp edges. Work around the grommet easing it in.

I thought I'd succeeded on my first attempt but couldn't get a hard pedal when it came to bleeding. When I removed the belly pan brake fluid was coming out of the reservoir line grommet closest to the pedals. I hadn't got the grommet in properly. As DLEE says, give them a good check wiggle to test it's in properly!

+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 25 2021, 06:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

I am about to jump into this project any day, thanks to all for posting
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jul 25 2021, 08:58 PM
Post #8

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Hi Guys,

I actually did the OEM style install on my bumblebee. Video coming soon. I had the tubes out of the car and pressed them in on the bench...then fed them up through to the reservoir. But it was still a thing. Net-net both the easy and OEM style have their challenges. OEM is easier if the reservoir is empty and you can pull the tubes. "easy" is easier if you must do it all on the car. Just my .02.
+Quote Post
ddire333
post Jul 26 2021, 07:38 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 24,835
Region Association: Europe

Sure glad I read this thread as I just put new MC over the weekend and just pushed the reservoir ends in with the grommets already in the MC, thinking what's the big deal that was easy (had that sneaking feeling so thought I better check but most videos are for the 914 rubber easy install).... thankfully system is empty and car is still on jacks so no big deal to restart.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Jul 26 2021, 08:50 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 24,549

Take a look at this while you are in there. I did not realize how much the MC can move. Available at Tangerine. There is always more to do. Mine was solid for now, just lucky I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbspOedhc8I
+Quote Post
EJP914
post Jul 27 2021, 01:18 PM
Post #11

Got my lines mixed up. Does the rear most line from the reservoir connect to the rear most grommet on the MC? Don't want to cross them up. Can someone PLEASE confirm. Thanks
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:45 AM