Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dual carb back to stock fi, Oregon, need to pass the emissions visual
Curly!
post Jul 23 2021, 07:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,603
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Good evening from lovely NW Oregon, USA. It’s not enough to run an efficient, clean burning engine, here in Oregon, it also has to be a stock application. I’m fooked! The son in law thought he’d do us a favor and bought us an out of state ‘75 2.0. The wife had a ‘71 she drove for 10 years, 40 years ago. This car has a dual carb setup. I need to return it to (as close as I can get in order to fool the inspectors) stock FI. I searched, and I’m sure it’s here somewhere, but I’m not smart enough to find it. Can someone point me to an appropriate thread? Or feel free to answer in any way you deem helpful. Thanks so much.

Curly LaJolla
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jul 23 2021, 07:37 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Good luck! But by the time you get the FI restored and running, Oregon will probably outlaw gasoline. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Jett
post Jul 23 2021, 08:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,686

QUOTE(Curly! @ Jul 23 2021, 06:33 PM) *

Good evening from lovely NW Oregon, USA. It’s not enough to run an efficient, clean burning engine, here in Oregon, it also has to be a stock application. I’m fooked! The son in law thought he’d do us a favor and bought us an out of state ‘75 2.0. The wife had a ‘71 she drove for 10 years, 40 years ago. This car has a dual carb setup. I need to return it to (as close as I can get in order to fool the inspectors) stock FI. I searched, and I’m sure it’s here somewhere, but I’m not smart enough to find it. Can someone point me to an appropriate thread? Or feel free to answer in any way you deem helpful. Thanks so much.

Curly LaJolla

Be thankful it is not a 73, which had some one year only parts. Go to Jeff’s site (https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/) for a list of part numbers needed, and note that Jeff sells the required FI wiring harness. I am fortunate to have a friend with the knowledge and tools to dial in an old FI system, but there are countless articles and triage threads on this site - search is your friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

In Redmond WA, see Monty at Redmond European
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 23 2021, 08:48 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Do you need to reinstall the catalytic converter?
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jul 23 2021, 09:31 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 23 2021, 08:48 PM) *

Do you need to reinstall the catalytic converter?

are there any 2 way cats left in the world?

out of interest, whats going on in the USA with the smog stuff on such old cars.
wondering out loud if dumbo australia will be copying this business in 10 years time like it always does.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jul 23 2021, 10:22 PM
Post #6

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Here is a list of the parts involved LINK (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Jul 23 2021, 11:21 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,741
Region Association: None

That's surprising. I'm not sure where in NW Oregon you live but generally this only pertains to the Portland, Ashland, and Medford. If your car is older than 25 years you should be exempt as far as DEQ is concerned.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jul 24 2021, 08:15 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Jul 24 2021, 01:21 AM) *

That's surprising. I'm not sure where in NW Oregon you live but generally this only pertains to the Portland, Ashland, and Medford. If your car is older than 25 years you should be exempt as far as DEQ is concerned.

If you're in one of the dreaded locations, go rent yourself an apartment in a free zone for a month or so & register the car there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
Curly!
post Jul 24 2021, 10:17 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Jul 23 2021, 10:21 PM) *

Unfortunately, I am in the tri-county area. And the 25 year rule is a myth, in Oregon anyway. 1975 and newer have to pass DEQ. I believe that to be the first year pollution equipment was required. 74 and older get a pass. OTOH, I had a 76 BMW 2002 that I ripped all the emission crap off of and it passed every two years. About all they ever looked for was the gas nozzle inlet, to make sure it was the small one. I am hoping I can get this car lean enough to pass the sniff test, and that they won’t actually ask me to open the engine bay hood. It worked for 12 years on the 02.
+Quote Post
Curly!
post Jul 24 2021, 10:20 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(barefoot @ Jul 24 2021, 07:15 AM) *

If you're in one of the dreaded locations, go rent yourself an apartment in a free zone for a month or so & register the car there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

Cars have to be registered at the same address as your license. They’re hip to the out of area registrations. People did it for years before they changed their rules.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 24 2021, 10:22 AM
Post #11

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

The problem is going to be the cam
If a previous owner put a high lift cam into it for the carbs
That will disrupt the vacuum signal to the Djet mps
Due to valve overlap at high lift

And rebuilding the motor is the only way to change the cam

Can your son in law register it outside of the emissions zone?
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 24 2021, 10:34 AM
Post #12

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Here is a page that may help you. Assuming its a Non-CA model 914 or that Oregon state testing requirmetns apply, you won't need the EGR system or CAT, although the CAT should clean up the exhaust significantly for the test.

In addition to the correct fuel injection system, you will need the late exhaust system, air pump and air injection system for 49 state compliance.

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Emissions.htm
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 24 2021, 12:14 PM
Post #13

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Curly! @ Jul 24 2021, 11:20 AM) *

Cars have to be registered at the same address as your license. They’re hip to the out of area registrations. People did it for years before they changed their rules.

Register your car in Montana.

https://www.49dollarmontanaregisteredagent....tion/exotic-car

Clay
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 24 2021, 02:29 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 24 2021, 10:22 AM) *

The problem is going to be the cam
If a previous owner put a high lift cam into it for the carbs
That will disrupt the vacuum signal to the Djet mps
Due to valve overlap at high lift

And rebuilding the motor is the only way to change the cam

One option would be to convert to modern EFI. I've 99% decided I'm going to convert my dual carb engine to Microsquirt for this reason among others since they can be mapped to run with any cam (or so I'm told). There are even stealth setups that use the stock plenum air cleaner, intakes and even injectors and many of the sensors if you like. @Matty900 even has the ECU and wideband controller inside an OEM ECU case. Even if an inspector did peek inside the engine bay, I doubt they'd be able to tell is wasn't stock.
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Jul 25 2021, 12:10 AM
Post #15

Dreaded location?
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Jul 25 2021, 12:12 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Curly! @ Jul 24 2021, 09:17 AM) *

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Jul 23 2021, 10:21 PM) *

Unfortunately, I am in the tri-county area. And the 25 year rule is a myth, in Oregon anyway. 1975 and newer have to pass DEQ. I believe that to be the first year pollution equipment was required. 74 and older get a pass. OTOH, I had a 76 BMW 2002 that I ripped all the emission crap off of and it passed every two years. About all they ever looked for was the gas nozzle inlet, to make sure it was the small one. I am hoping I can get this car lean enough to pass the sniff test, and that they won’t actually ask me to open the engine bay hood. It worked for 12 years on the 02.

Yeah. According this the Oregon DMV website your car is exempt if:

"Vehicles older than:

Model year 1975 (Portland-Metro area).
20 years old (Medford-Ashland area)."

I guess your car is on just the wrong side of 1975.

https://www.dmv.org/or-oregon/smog-check.php
+Quote Post
cary
post Jul 25 2021, 05:48 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608

Do you know what the exhaust numbers are now ?
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 25 2021, 10:08 AM
Post #18

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I'm sure that they are looking at the sheet and it shows fuel injection. You can run an aftermarket as long as it passes. The only real issue I can see is if the car is a CA delivery and shows a CAT.
There are aftermarket CATs available.
Talk to Allen at A&P Auto Specialties on 82nd. He's a factory trained Porsche mechanic and has been around long enough to have done this a few times. I know he has an exhaust guy and could probably help you out. If not point you in the right direction.
+Quote Post
Curly!
post Jul 26 2021, 08:29 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(cary @ Jul 25 2021, 04:48 AM) *

Do you know what the exhaust numbers are now ?

Yes, I have a readout from the test center. Next week phase one, giving it to the local shop to see if they can lean it out well enough to pass the sniff test. If they can, perhaps the test center will choose to not look under the hood ;-)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jul 26 2021, 10:44 AM
Post #20

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 25 2021, 09:08 AM) *

I'm sure that they are looking at the sheet and it shows fuel injection. You can run an aftermarket as long as it passes. The only real issue I can see is if the car is a CA delivery and shows a CAT.
There are aftermarket CATs available.
Talk to Allen at A&P Auto Specialties on 82nd. He's a factory trained Porsche mechanic and has been around long enough to have done this a few times. I know he has an exhaust guy and could probably help you out. If not point you in the right direction.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Even if someone looks under the "hood", will they really know what they are looking at?

If you can get an aftermarket high flow CAT, could install it, get the carbs leaned out a bit and be surprised if it wouldn't pass. Given the engine is healthy and such.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:20 AM