Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I had a dream, It was about a 6
DavidSweden
post May 8 2021, 10:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

I had a dream to install a 6, that was a few years back and I even got a 2,2T motor but the project didn't get off the ground, anyway as I have run out of things to do I thought I might resurrect the idea.

According to the PO the motor came out of a running car and I want to make sure that it runs before I commit to installing it.

What do I need to do to get it running?
I do not have a spare gearbox for the starter or an oil tank is there an easy way to fire it up without (or using substitutes for) these parts and what about the electrics, there is a coil but I think I need more than that?
Any help much appreciated as I know nothing about these engines.
PS:
It looks like the motor has been opened up at some time there is a lot of sealer on the case seam behind the flywheel, do you think its been opened?

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
roblav1
post May 8 2021, 03:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Definitely been opened. Looks like wrong sealant.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 8 2021, 04:13 PM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

To run the motor out of a car you will need:

1. Oil tank and lines. You can use a 911 tank. They are easier and cheaper to find.
2. CD Box for ignition.
3. Flywheel, pressure plate and ring gear. The ring gear mounts to the pressure plate on the later 911 engines.
4. Transmission... or transmission bell housing (to mount the starter)
5. Tach, oil pressure and temp gauges.
6. Fuel pump and tank. You can use a gas can for the tank.
7. A stand to hold the engine and mount the gauges.
8. A battery and cables.

You will also need to wire up the ignition and the fuel pump to a switch to turn off the power, and the wires for the tach, oil pressure and oil temp gauges. You will need a starter button to start the motor.

All of this can be done. But it will take as almost as long and cost almost as much as installing it in your car. And by putting it in the car, you have it ready to drive if it is good, and you have a converted car to put another motor in if it is not.

Good luck!

Clay
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post May 9 2021, 01:15 AM
Post #4

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Set valves
Perform a leak down
Rebuild carbs
If all check out, install and get it running in the car.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 9 2021, 04:47 AM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

The case half sealant looks like permatex aviation sealant, I stopped using it mid-90's, so the rebuild is likely 25+ years old.

Test running I would get an early 911/914-6 flywheel* and mount it to a 914 tranny and use some blocks to get it off the ground. If it turns freely I might hook up a tank and oil. pull the plugs and try to do a compression test. If all the cylinders pumped a reasonable pressure (doesn't have to be perfect at this point) then I'd continue on to get it ready to fire.
Clay and Calvin covered the things needed to do the rest of the deed.

*You likely can use the stock 911 flywheel and starter ring assembly for testing because a 2.2 would have used a 901 (family) transmission, for a 914 trans just leave the release bearing out for testing. For use in a 914 you would need a early /6 flywheel and stock clutch kit (same as a /4) or the 911 flywheel and an adaptor ring assembly from KEP. There is a way to use a 911 clutch, but I personally wouldn't go this route.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post May 9 2021, 10:38 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Agree with Mark Henrys guidance and Clays list. Definitely #1 priority: Establish that there is reasonable compression before taking things too far. These engines - after being run then stored for a long period - can have issues with valve seating being compromised. The Dempsey book touches on this, but the way it has been explained to me is as follows:

Freshly rebuilt engine is fired up and runs, carbon deposits start forming immediately on head, piston crown. Engine is stored, humidity and temperature cycles loosen the deposits over time and they fall down (because, gravity) and the exhaust valves are on the lowest point of the bore... so when the engine is exhumed from storage, turned over, fired up, etc., all those flakes of carbon seek exit through the exhaust port and CAN get stuck in the valve seat and compromise / damage the seal.

This is less likely to occur if the engine was only run for a quick check post rebuild - minimal carbon deposits - which may be the case. BUT, if compression numbers look low, you're at least in for a top end rebuild, valve seats / guides, etc.

- Tony

PS. On a positive note, its worth pursuing that -6 dream; these engines are great for -6 conversions; the 2.2 breathes much better than a 2.0 and doesn't have the thermal and load stress of a 2.7. I have one in my car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post May 9 2021, 10:54 AM
Post #7

Distracted Member

I have a somewhat dumb but relevant question....

Why so many people recommend a compression test rather than a leak down at this point?

A leak down requires much less effort because the engine is out on the floor (or stand), no trans or starter, etc. it also gives you much better indication of piston ring, intake / exhaust valve condition as you can hear and test where leakage may be occurring. While it requires a compressor and a specialized tool, most already have a compressor, and the tool can be rented or loaned from your local flaps.

I was always taught that a compression test is easier to perform when the engine is installed and “running”, but it just gives you a general sense that something is wrong (rings, head seal, valves).

So here’s the dumb question, what does a compression test tell you differently than a leak down?

This is definitely not a knock to the people I consider experts who have answered above, just looking to learn....
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 9 2021, 11:47 AM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Numbers are useless at this point, all I'd be looking for is that it doesn't have a dead cylinder. Most peeps have a simple compression tester, if you have a leak down tester great!

As far as borrowing anything from a FLAPS for me that's 2 one hour round trips so at least 2.5 hours wasted, sometimes I forget that other members might be a bit closer to town.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post May 9 2021, 11:47 AM
Post #9

Many thanks to all members for the good advice, it is very much appreciated.

I bought an early flywheel a few years ago, It was advertised as a 65-69, however I cannot see any TDC marks, I thought that all the early flywheels had a TDC mark? There is also no part number stamp.

As I know near to nothing I am hoping that a member will be able to see if this is indeed an early flywheel and suitable for use with the 914 gearbox.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 9 2021, 11:59 AM
Post #10

that's what I do!

Yes that works, bolt it up.

IIRC the 914 ones were marked but not 911, they are the same.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post May 9 2021, 12:50 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

RE: Flywheel - the asymmetric bolt pattern means it will only match all holes in one position - then you can get TDC from the front crank pulley. I bought an aftermarket flywheel with no markings, but duplicated the crank pulley marks (in color!) such that they are visible when mated to the 901 transmission. Oh, and don't tighten the flywheel bolts fully until final assembly - as they're only supposed to be single use...

RE: compression vs. leak test; basically, whatever approach is easiest to get you to confidence that (as Mark Henry points out) that you have some hope of all cylinders holding some level of compression.

- Tony
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post May 9 2021, 01:43 PM
Post #12

Distracted Member

Thanks for the responses, I was just in a similar situation with my new to me track car. It sat for 6+ years. I went with leak down but was afraid I was missing something!
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post May 16 2021, 10:52 AM
Post #13

I have started to check over the 911T engine before installing.

As I have leak down testing equipment I decided to do a quick test on cylinders 1 and 2.

Unfortunately the results were worse than terrible, it looks like both of the intake valves on C1 & C2 are leaking a lot.

Where does this leave me and is my dream about to become an expensive nightmare?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 16 2021, 11:09 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ May 16 2021, 09:52 AM) *

Unfortunately the results were worse than terrible, it looks like both of the intake valves on C1 & C2 are leaking a lot.

Where does this leave me and is my dream about to become an expensive nightmare?

Or, well on your way to building one of Porsche's all-time great engines: a 2.2S…

This said as someone who agreed to use Solex cams in a 2.2 but wishes he'd gone with S cams for the sparkle. In terms of driving joy, the 2.2S is up there with things like the CGT, 917, and various GT3s. MFI and short gears only make it better… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 16 2021, 11:57 AM
Post #15

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Do a top end on the engine. Not crazy expensive and the dream will live on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post May 16 2021, 03:01 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

I agree with Pete and Mark. Get the heads done, get a set of 2.2S pistons and cylinders, you can slide new rod bearings in while you have it apart without splitting the case, and a set of S or mod S cams and you will not stop smiling. It is not that hard, tedious but not that hard.

Charlie
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post May 16 2021, 03:15 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

The engine pictured went from
1. 137 to 170
2. 0 to 170
3. 160 to 170
4. 25 to 160
5. 155 to 165
6. 45 to 170

Therapy included: 1. oil changes x3
2. valve adjustments x 3
3. spraying water into throats of carbs with engine running !
( old hotrodders trick for long dormant engines )
This otherwise sound engine had been dormant for thirty seven years
just sayin'

And I do agree there are few things in life as fun as a 2.2 S !

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 16 2021, 03:39 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Listen to Rory. Doesn’t hurt to try.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 16 2021, 06:11 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2021, 02:39 PM) *

Listen to Rory. Doesn’t hurt to try.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 16 2021, 09:35 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

My 2.2t engine started like that after sitting 18yrs ,all the usual leaks did the following,
resealed chain cases after fitting chain savers,
checked chain ramps @ the same time as well as chain tension,
resealed triangle of leaks and replaced thermostat "o"ring,
cleaned all the oil off the barrels and case till pristine ,
resurface intake and exhaust valve cover,they all warped !!,
inspected cam lobes and rocker shaft position,
replaced front pulley and rear crank seals,
new seals for oil cooler after pressure test then full clean,
replaced one cam oil feed line other one was new ?,why would someone only replace one side ?,
reset valves twice to same result and cleaned out exhaust ports of carbon when on TDC,
replaced 7 exhaust studs,rest were good,
rebuilt/ upgraded carbs with parts from Italy,
replaced worn carb throttle linkages joints and bushes,
had altenator rebuilt and fitted new ground strap to case,
fitted heatexchanger air hose blanks to fan cylinder cooling cover as I was running headers.

I may have missed some things but you will get the idea,I felt I was a step ahead as my engine showed evidence of a top overhaul which was a nice find.
Some stuff I picked up from pics posted ;
that flywheel isn't great and will need a full resurface to spec,the starter ring gear is very worn also,may be cheaper to find a better one ?,replacement ring gears are expensive after all.
The crank seal looks like a VR brand one ? trust me they are a bad fit and will leak,best choose is Kaco or Elring they just fit better,as me how I know ?.
An out of car test run is a huge undertaking as mentioned but that's up to you of course.
Don't place too much importance on cold test compression test unless you know otherwise,my motor started straight up and blew carbon crap and oil smoke then finally settled to smooth nice running engine.
Good luck.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:59 AM