Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shifter time! .... Advice wanted
Freezin 914
post Apr 21 2021, 08:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,687
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Alright everybody, going to be tackling putting in my rennshift on my car.
There is a lot of things/ products out there. There is lots of talk of the tangerine firewall bearing and new bushings. Is that all the recommendations? Not looking to go crazy, but looking to do things that make sense and will make the car shift better. A bit less stick in the mud... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Prefer recommendations including where to source the parts required.
Thank you in advance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 21 2021, 09:01 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The shifting on a 914 is only as good as it's weakest link. New bushings are the minimum. The tangerine firewall bushing is worth every penny. I like the Rennshifters but they are a bigger commitment and a waste of money if your trans need rebuilding but they are hardly ever for sale used so that sort of goes to their popularity and effectiveness.

Make sure your engine and trans mounts are in good condition.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Apr 22 2021, 03:36 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Sounds like you already have the Rennshifter. No personal experience with that but I suggest that the best shifting upgrade is the Tangerine rear console dual bearing setup. This mod transforms 901 shifting.

Of course this assumes that your bulkhead bearing is good. The Tangerine one is as good or better than any out there.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/shiftlinkage.htm

Prepare to spend some time adjusting the shift linkage. Having a complete understanding of how the shift mechanism works is essential. That and a lot of patience.

the First to second shift will never be great, but once into the “H” I actually enjoy my 901 shifting. It can be made actually pretty slick. In my case I am using a Weltmiester short shifter into a full Tangerine linkage and rear console dual bearing setup.

Have fun. Good luck m
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Apr 22 2021, 04:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Remember for select the shifter length on the Renshifter Long or short before installing.(this is not the bolt on shift handle but the spot the shift linkage attaches. )
Bronze bushing on the shift console and a fire wall bushing are EZ adds while you are In there. My universals were fine and reused
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Driver174
post Apr 22 2021, 10:32 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,806
Region Association: None

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 22 2021, 02:36 AM) *

Sounds like you already have the Rennshifter. No personal experience with that but I suggest that the best shifting upgrade is the Tangerine rear console dual bearing setup. This mod transforms 901 shifting.

Of course this assumes that your bulkhead bearing is good. The Tangerine one is as good or better than any out there.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/shiftlinkage.htm

Prepare to spend some time adjusting the shift linkage. Having a complete understanding of how the shift mechanism works is essential. That and a lot of patience.

the First to second shift will never be great, but once into the “H” I actually enjoy my 901 shifting. It can be made actually pretty slick. In my case I am using a Weltmiester short shifter into a full Tangerine linkage and rear console dual bearing setup.

Have fun. Good luck m

I'll second the recommendation for Chris's (Tangerine Racing) shift linkage kit as well as his shift rod bearing.

With all new stock shifter linkage components/bushings installed, shifting my car up/down was challenging; especially while racing. I learned to get all shifting done in a straight line otherwise I was searching for the right gear.

After replacing the stock linkage with Tangerine Racing components, and also replacing the stock shifter with a Jwest Engineering shifter, gear selection was no longer a factor; the 901 gear box was "tight" and shifted precisely.

+Quote Post
mlindner
post Apr 23 2021, 04:17 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,770

Tangerine racing, yesAttached Image
+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post Apr 23 2021, 06:41 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,687

Excellent! Thank you for the responses. Car shifts ok now, just a bit more sloppy than my last 914. Had the shifter laying around for years. I assumed the bushings needed to be replaced etc. Time to go thru it all and get as good as it can be. Thanks again everyone for input.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:10 AM