Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> track day coming up, what do I need to do to prepare?
914 RZ-1
post Apr 20 2021, 07:04 PM
Post #1

Porsche Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

I have a track day scheduled at the end of May. It's a driver's education day for me, so I will be doing laps around a track with an instructor.

Here's what the email said to bring:
Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, at least a half a gallon of water, helmet (unless you are renting one), long sleeve non-synthetic shirt, long sleeve non-synthetic pants (or approved racing suit) close-toed/flat soled shoes with leather uppers, driver’s license, signed tech inspection form, event schedule, track map and anything else you think you will need.

I am renting a helmet, but may end up borrowing one if it fits and is current.
I have a shop nearby that is doing the tech inspection.

QUESTIONS
1. Are tennis/running shoes ok?
2. Are jeans ok?
3. I was told to take everything out of the car. Should I leave the spare tire in? What about the jack? I plan on removing everything else.
4. Should I bring tools? I have a toolbox that is about 24" x 10" x 12" that I keep in the car, but I can take it out. Is there a place to put it or should I just take a few tools or none?
5. Pack a lunch?
6. Bring a chair?
7. Do they have places to put your stuff?

Here is what they said about car numbers (I picked #501):
Car Numbers
Before you will be allowed on the track, you will need to have car numbers displayed on both sides and on the rear of your car. If you do not have numbers already, painter’s tape will be available from Suesan in the garage. Numbers need to be a contrasting color to your paint, easily visible by corner workers. 8-10” minimum height and 1” width on each side and 6” minimum height numbers visible on the rear of your car.

MORE QUESTIONS
8. Can I use the yellow painter's tape? I have a light gray car. If not, what is best? They state they have tape, but I want to know if there's something better that will have no chance of removing any of the paint. It's not factory paint, just quality single stage I did myself. I thought I might try magnetic strips (the ones you get at Home Depot/Lowes that are sticky on one side).
9. Where do the numbers go on our cars? I'm assuming the doors, but where on the rear? The window? The space between the taillights (that's not 6")?

10. Do I tip the instructor? If so, how much?
11. Anything I need to do to the car? Oil is fresh.
12. What else can anyone who's done this tell me I need to bring/know/be mindful of/etc?

Thanks!

Here are my edits based on my experience, in case anyone else is doing this for the first time:

1. Yes, tennis shoes are fine.
2. Yes, jeans were fine. I think on a hot day I'd wear something with thin material.
3. I left the spare in. Mine is bolted down very well. I keep the jack in my tool box. I have an after-market scissor-type that's small and light.
4. Yes, bring tools. I carried my car tools with me and just left them in my parking space. They kept my picnic blanket from blowing away. I also put my wallet in in it. No one will steal anything.
5. Yes, pack a lunch. They had a roach coach there, but I prefer to eat better. I brought PBJ and fruit and a granola bar with iced tea to drink. They did provide water on ice, but I wanted something with flavor at lunch.
6. Yes, bring a chair. It was nice to sit after a session. It was also a place to put stuff on and under.
7. The only place to put your stuff is your parking space. I brought a moving blanket and used it as a picnic blanket. I kept my paperwork in one of those clipboards that has a storage compartment.
8. Blue tape was fine for car numbers. No issues with the paint coming off or anything.
9. I had to put the numbers on the side doors, hood and trunk.
10. No tips needed. Just listen to what they tell you and ask questions.
11. I had fresh brake pads and fluid and made sure the tire pressure was correct. Make sure the battery is secure, too. You are whipping the car around and things will come loose or fly around.
12. I didn't need the tire pressure gauges, but I will bring one next time just to check them for safety reasons. I thought I had one in my tool box, but didn't find it.
13. I drove my own line and my own speed. I saw cars in places they shouldn't have been a few times, but I held my line. You need to be predictable.
14. Get a good night's sleep before. Rest, preferably in the shade, between sessions. Drink water. You will be tired, hungry and thirsty the next day.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
d914
post Apr 20 2021, 08:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Apr 20 2021, 09:04 PM) *

I have a track day scheduled at the end of May. It's a driver's education day for me, so I will be doing laps around a track with an instructor.

Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, at least a half a gallon of water, helmet (unless you are renting one), long sleeve non-synthetic shirt, long sleeve non-synthetic pants (or approved racing suit) close-toed/flat soled shoes with leather uppers, driver’s license, signed tech inspection form, event schedule, track map and anything else you think you will need.

QUESTIONS
cotton or leather best
2. Are jeans ok?
yes see #!
3. I was told to take everything out of the car. Should I leave the spare tire in? What about the jack? I plan on removing everything else.

U can bring with you but take out for track time

4. Should I bring tools? I have a toolbox that is about 24" x 10" x 12" that I keep in the car, but I can take it out. Is there a place to put it or should I just take a few tools or none?
yes but take out
5. Pack a lunch?
yes
6. Bring a chair?
yes 10x10 shade thingy good also
no car guys,, nobody will touch your stuff

Car Numbers
Before you will be allowed on the track, you will need to have car numbers displayed on both sides and on the rear of your car. If you do not have numbers already, painter’s tape will be available from Suesan in the garage. Numbers need to be a contrasting color to your paint, easily visible by corner workers. 8-10” minimum height and 1” width on each side and 6” minimum height numbers visible on the rear of your car.

MORE QUESTIONS
8. Can I use the yellow painter's tape? I have a light gray car. If not, what is best? They state they have tape, but I want to know if there's something better that will have no chance of removing any of the paint. It's not factory paint, just quality single stage I did myself. I thought I might try magnetic strips (the ones you get at Home Depot/Lowes that are sticky on one side).

tape good, if going to be a regular ting get numbers
9. Where do the numbers go on our cars? I'm assuming the doors, but where on the rear? The window? The space between the taillights (that's not 6")?

doors front hood

no
fresh oil. brake pads, check play front bearings, tie down battery, fresh fan belt.. any thing stupid that could ruin weekend

12. What else can anyone who's done this tell me I need to bring/know/be mindful of/etc?
torque wrench for tires, air pressure gauge, small compressor if u have, sun screen, camera, hat, sunscreen, water

Hope this helps

Thanks!

+Quote Post
MM1
post Apr 20 2021, 11:45 PM
Post #3

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105

Scotch blue painters tape has worked flawlessly for me. Spring for Scotch only - especially if your car is painted with 50’s Porsche Grey (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Contoured neck brace collar like this one I bought 15 years ago and have used (mostly on the motorcycle and the slingshot) countless times. I have a bunch of un-contoured ones . . .they stay in the closet.

Attached ImageAttached Image

Although I know you’ve been religiously devoted to those F1 driver-style neck exercises for the past month (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) , since you’re renting a helmet, it probably won’t come with a Hans device (obviously ideal), so give your neck some relief (notice I didn’t say, “a break”) and get one of these. . .and load up on ibuprofen a for few days before.

Shoes :running shoes? - no. If tennis shoes, then make sure they have a super thin sole. Although a friend’s mechanic (German Ferrari mechanic - bit of a charlatan) once gave me a pair of Ferrari-branded driving shoes (obviously I taped over the “shields”) that worked well with an interesting raised ribbed heel design, I use leather loafers or even grippy (leather) slippers, and frankly they feel better with the flat sole. Opinions may differ.

Good phone mount to take those awesome videos. . . unless you have a go-pro.

Chair, cooler to elevate those tired dogs, umbrella (preferably on a heavy steel stand - I know, a pain to transport, but saved me at a few xcrosses) , more protein snacks and more water and most of all. . . a few packs of baby wipes (and a trashbag) to get most of the grease off your hands before you mess up that steering wheel that you’ll need a sure grip on.

Hope you get a good instructor, and if you’re heading to the big track at Willow- experiment with hitting the “high line” after you “shoot the Bud”-just take it easy on the last turn before the straight-the instructors’ll drill that home - take it to heart, Padawan.

Looking forward to pics and vids.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Apr 21 2021, 12:28 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Change your brake fluid (flush the entire system with new fluid) if you havent done that in the last two years.
+Quote Post
Racer
post Apr 21 2021, 06:50 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Apr 20 2021, 09:04 PM) *

- Awesome!

Sounds good so far!

A good fitting helmet is preferred and this year, the new 2020 rated helmets are available. Some groups allow Motorcycle helmets for beginners. Others will require SA2015 or SA2020 rated helmets

QUESTIONS
2. Are jeans ok?
5. Pack a lunch?
6. Bring a chair?

1) - yes
2) - yes
3) - Personally, I pull it all out. Jack, Tools, Floormats, Spare. If you leave the spare in make sure its secured. Some like it as part of the crumple zone up front should things go wrong. I wanted the 40+ lbs out of the car.
4) - tools/parts - you know you car. You could be one of very few or no 914s. I'd bring some basics just in case. You don't mention how close the track is (ie, AAA if you break down; your trailering or driving to the event etc. )
5) - Lunch - depends on the track. Most have some kind of snack bar. Bring your own if you prefer or don't want to risk it. BRING WATER.. keep hydrated. outside in the sun all day will tire you out.
6) - yup.. bring a folding chair to have someplace to sit between rungroups/class sessions.

7) Most places are first come/first serve on paddock spaces. Some tracks have garages.. and some events with garages charge for garage space. This should all be in the info the event provider offers. Some are fully paved.. some are gravel.

-- Bring a large blue tarp to put all your stuff on (or to use to cover your stuff should it rain). Or plastic bins to store can be helpful too.

Car Numbers

Contrasting. If you can't see it from 100+ feet away, than neither can the corner worker. If needed "front or back", just put on the trunklids. Yes, DOOR placement is ideal for "side" numbers.

MORE QUESTIONS

8) - See above about contrast and how far away you can see them. Painters tape works best to not take off paint. Magnets can damage paint and if they are too weak, they will come off.. necessitating you to you a little bit of tape to hold them on.

9) - See above

10) - NO. They are compensated by often not having to pay an entrance fee, or reduced fee. They do it cause they like to and want others to have fun. imho, tipping is a it insulting.

11) - The pre event tech should look over the car for leaks, rust, belts, and other mechanical basics. You will want new brake fluid (ideally DOT 4) and maybe new brake pads. Track use will consume tires and brakes.. it will reward you with fun. The better mechanical condition of you car, the more fun you will have because you won't be fixing it.

And remember - EVERYONE there was a newbie at one time. Just say hello.. ask the guy/girl next to you if you have questions or keep asking around till someone can help you. Most are friendly with tools, experience etc.

+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Apr 21 2021, 08:31 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I’d recommend leaving the spare in place and bolted down as it is part of the crush structure of the car.

Though I’ve never heard of tipping your instructor, most would not turn down a snack (or perhaps a refreshing adult beverage) after the event if allowed.
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Apr 21 2021, 09:08 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,470

What track are you going to? Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Auto Club. If Willow Springs, will they be using streets, or big Willow?
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Apr 21 2021, 10:17 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

PCA-PNWR is requiring that brake fluid be no longer that one year old. Interesting!
+Quote Post
Racer
post Apr 21 2021, 10:32 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,073

QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Apr 21 2021, 12:17 PM) *

PCA-PNWR is requiring that brake fluid be no longer that one year old. Interesting!

My local PCA region mentions:

Brake fluid to be Flushed within 90 days of the event (3 months) - exceptions are approved racing fluids (ATE Blue/200, Motul or SRF etc) which are allowed 180 days.

I've always flushed at the beginning of the season and bled pre event to get air out.

Here is a link to our regions tech form as an example of items that are checked:
1) Pre event on a lift and
2) at the event

Not sure how much of this is standardized across PCA (thank you insurance underwriters (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) but its all reasonable when you put your car and yourself on track.

https://pcapotomac.org/images/PCA_PotomacTechForm.pdf
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 21 2021, 03:45 PM
Post #10

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Do a pre test.

Load your car and then unload for your pre test "race". You want anything not strapped down removed from the car. Imagine yourself putting these items on dirt/asphalt on the track paddock. Most people put down a blanket, or cover there stuff with a blanket.

Once you have the load/unload down, go for a test drive. Drive it HARD on the corners and brakes. See if anything shakes loose.

Also pre test all your camera stuff if your going to setup cameras.

Be aware once your run is ready to go You have to get to the grid NOW. Then after your run that next run is going to come up VERY shortly. Take any restroom breaks needed and make sure you and the car are ready for the next stint.

Chances are your going to have the slowest car on the track, so be aware and dont be embarrassed. Just have fun! Your instructor will help, make sure you ask for a ride from your instructor or anyone able to give a ride. Its much different from the passenger seat!
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Apr 21 2021, 04:32 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

Lots of good info on here and yes really you will just be getting used to the track experience. Like Andrew said don't get frustrated with cars passing you even a 90's civic track ready can fly around the race track.

Also if you are tall you can take the seat pad out and replace it with a piece of foam or towel and it will hold you in the seat better.

And keep an eye on your engine temps. The racetrack is a lot harder on air cooled motors than just driving around. If you are not really sure (no temp gauge) maybe shift early and give 75% throttle during the second half of the run if its hot out.
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Apr 21 2021, 07:35 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,318

Overfill the oil by 1/2 quart....for radial tires set pressure to 29psi cold.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Apr 21 2021, 07:52 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Study the track and the location of the workers stations. Study the flags and what each one means. Always check your mirrors when on track. Do your best to drive the line even though you are not fast enough to use it. Try to relax and listen to what your instructor has to say. There will be a ton of new input going into your brain. Take time to process in between runs. It sounds different over 90 mph with the windows open and sticky tire bits from other cars flinging into your fender wells. I bet you can drive all day on the street and know when your at 35 mph or 65 mph. 80, 100, 120 are entirely different visually. A lot of tracks don't have trees or other familiar things that you use in your periphery to judge. Check your oil temp and pressure on the main straight. Make sure you have enough gas. You will maybe get 10-12 mpg! Live the dream!
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 22 2021, 03:04 PM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

If your brake pads have less than half the original thickness, I suggest replacing them. If your brake fluid is more than a month or two old, I very very strongly recommend replacing it.

There's nothing that redefines the phrase "OH S**T" quite like going into turn 1 at Thunderhill at triple-digit speeds and having the brake pedal go straight to the floor. I thought that six-month-old fluid was good enough. I was wrong.

Remember above all that you are there to have fun! Remember to take a bit of time to just enjoy things.

It's OK to do things you are a bit uncomfortable with, but not so good to do things that have your brain saying "Oh hell naw!". If you are driving there and home again, let your instructor know. There's a good chance they will adjust their expectations for someone who needs the car to drive home again.

Before you go, watch some videos of people running the track you are going to. That will give you a decent idea of what your eyes will pick up, and help you to learn which way the track goes. ("At this corner worker station, the turn is to the left!")

If you haven't done autoX or similar car-control events before, know that it will be overwhelming. There's a good chance you won't even be able to think while driving. Adrenaline is a heckuva drug! That's normal, and it gets better with more seat time.

Good luck, and have fun!

--DD
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Apr 22 2021, 05:34 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 2,922

I like this SpeedSF tech sheet-

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59f9...1/tech+form.pdf

+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Apr 22 2021, 09:10 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,023

Start last in the lineup, you will get a couple of turns before the 911s and Boxsters start to show up in your mirror.

Take advantage of the parade lap at lunch to practice your line at slow speed without the stress of cars in your back wanting to pass you.

Fun to look at your time improve during the day.

Far from being an expert here, just enjoyed a few PDS with POC and these were the best driving experiences. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Sometimes there would be another 914, but mostly Boxsters. The good news is that you get to be best in class (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Have tons of fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
dr.tim
post Apr 23 2021, 10:42 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,907
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Lots of good advice in here.

Having instructed for 15 years, this is what I think is important with respect to Q's 10-12:

--Make sure your car is in top shape. This is for safety and so that you can drive it home. Brake fluid and pads are important, but don't neglect the soft lines. (Brakes are really important.) Suspension is next. Engine just keeps you going / gets you home (not a safety item).

--Drive your own line: Avoid the temptation to follow the car in front of you, unless they are doing something right, or is your instructor.

--Go your own speed. Be aware of (and avoid) trying to keep up with the car ahead of you... red mist.

--Try to remain relaxed / not tense. You have a very tactile machine; Let the car 'talk' to you.

--Take advantage of any time you get with two people in the car, whether in the right seat or the left.

--How to 'tip' your instructor: LISTEN. You are there to learn, so have a teachable heart. Understand that the instructor's mantra is: "Don't try to impress me because you can't; don't try to scare me because I already am." If your instructor is exceptional, thank them, and let the chief instructor / organizing body know. Buy them a drink if opportunity arises.

--As in all things, some instructors are better than others. In your area, SoCal ACNA has a good/passionate corps. I may be with them at Buttonwillow this fall..

--It is a sip from the firehose, but have fun and learn as much as you can.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Apr 23 2021, 08:25 PM
Post #18

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The most I’ve ever learned was sitting in the right seat of my car while the instructor drove the track. You have to have the right instructor that’ll treat your car right, but its amazing seeing what they are able to get the car to do, it gives you an idea of what it’s really capable of, and how far from the limit you are actually driving.
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post May 29 2021, 12:54 PM
Post #19

Porsche Padawan

Member No.: 18,230

Thanks so much for all the advice and tips!

I've changed the brake fluid, the pads on all 4 corners, and the rear discs. The tires are pumped to 29 PSI. Oil is good. The windows are clean. I took everything out of the car except the registration and insurance paperwork, the jack and emergency lights.

I'm bringing a chair, moving blanket for a ground pad/picnic blanket, lunch and lots of water.

I'm the only 914 and the oldest car there.

I rented a helmet.

I passed tech inspection (thanks R2 Racing in Santa Clarita!)

I go for preregistration and another tech inspection tonight.

The event is at Willow Springs. We're doing the streets of Willow, CCW direction.

I will be using tape for the numbers.

I have my AAA card in case the $h!+ hits the fan. I'm debating whether I should bring my car toolbox with tools, Thoughts? I'd take it there and just leave it by my chair.

I'll try and report back for anyone else thinking of doing this.
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post May 29 2021, 04:45 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 10,318

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ May 29 2021, 10:54 AM) *

Thanks so much for all the advice and tips!

I have my AAA card in case the $h!+ hits the fan. I'm debating whether I should bring my car toolbox with tools, Thoughts? I'd take it there and just leave it by my chair.

I'll try and report back for anyone else thinking of doing this.

Definitely take the toolbox--that way you won't need it! Looking forward to the full report.....
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:53 PM