Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heat exchangers, Restoration Design vs SSI
Warren914
post Apr 15 2021, 05:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,265
Region Association: Canada

I'm planning an exhaust refit on my '75 914. Any thoughts on stainless steel heat exchangers from Restoration Design vs those from SSI? Extra bits and pieces will be needed...

https://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP033
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Racer
post Apr 15 2021, 05:25 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

iirc, the muffler and hangers for a 1.7/1.8 are different than a 2.0. Are you starting with a 75 1.8 or 2.0? If a 1.8, you would need to change more than just the heat exchangers to get it to all fit.
+Quote Post
Warren914
post Apr 15 2021, 05:40 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 25,265

QUOTE(Racer @ Apr 15 2021, 05:25 AM) *

iirc, the muffler and hangers for a 1.7/1.8 are different than a 2.0. Are you starting with a 75 1.8 or 2.0? If a 1.8, you would need to change more than just the heat exchangers to get it to all fit.

'75 2.0 liter with original exhaust system. I'm aware other parts are needed to make it all fit but don't have a list yet. The heat exchangers will likely be the largest part of the expense.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 15 2021, 06:57 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26

The SSI heat exchangers are the same as the ones RD sells.
Dansk bought SSI several years ago.

Warren could get away with 1.7/1.8 HE's as well and get a muffler from Ben. Many times the 1.8 HE's are cheaper.

One question is will the existing '75 rear valence fit with new early 2.0 exhaust and the valence?
By fit I mean line up with the tailpipe cut out.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 15 2021, 07:10 AM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yep. Only one manufacturer for the heat exchangers. I like supporting restoration design because they work hard to support us.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Apr 15 2021, 11:28 AM
Post #6

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 15 2021, 05:57 AM) *

The SSI heat exchangers are the same as the ones RD sells.
Dansk bought SSI several years ago.

Warren could get away with 1.7/1.8 HE's as well and get a muffler from Ben. Many times the 1.8 HE's are cheaper.

One question is will the existing '75 rear valence fit with new early 2.0 exhaust and the valence?
By fit I mean line up with the tailpipe cut out.

The only correct 1.8 original heat exchangers (and muffler) that are correct for a back date are from a 1974. They have pipes the same OD as the 2.0L. The cutout notch for the the valances are the same except for the early port hole valance.
I prefer the OE heat exchangers to the SSI. They have better sealing flanges and stronger loops where the head studs go.

@Mark Henry
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Apr 15 2021, 11:34 AM
Post #7

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Warren914 @ Apr 15 2021, 04:40 AM) *

'75 2.0 liter with original exhaust system. I'm aware other parts are needed to make it all fit but don't have a list yet. The heat exchangers will likely be the largest part of the expense.

@Warren914

What you will need is:
1. left and right J tubes
2. left and right S branches with attaching brackets
3. Muffler bracket to match the muffler.
4. left and right warm air guides

I have all but 4 that are cleaned and powder coated. Let me know if you are interested.

+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 15 2021, 11:48 AM
Post #8

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Ive been doing a few backdates lately (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

New/old SSI's are still the best bet, finding near 50yr old OE HE's that aren't rusted out significantly is getting pretty hard.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 15 2021, 11:59 AM
Post #9

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Warren914 @ Apr 15 2021, 03:40 AM) *

Guys - Warren has a `75 2L - not a 1.8L - so all this retrofit stuff isn't applicable.

IIRC his is a straightforward change-out of 2L SSI-HEs from the OE steel ones, although he may have to do a crapalytic converter delete if it was a California car with one.

Also, IIRC 75-76 still used the 2L Banana Muffler.

AFAIK only a new set of gaskets & would probably want to get a nice new shiney set of bolts/washers/nuts attachment hardware.

I'm a 73 2L guy - so if I'm wrong on that, then give Warren what he needs for a 75-76 2.0 conversion to the 73-76 SSI HEs.

Warren, unless your 914 is a rusty basket case - bite the bullet & do the SS HEs from RD or any source -

Also - SMC, Pelican, AA, & other 914 parts suppliers carry these SSI HEs & are also supporters/vendors/advertisers on 914world. But RD is close to you in Canada, so you may have lower shipping & no exchange rate issues with them being in CAN.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 15 2021, 12:01 PM
Post #10

BTW flappers aren't pictured because they are practically the only parts that carry over from a late setup.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 15 2021, 12:05 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 15 2021, 10:59 AM) *

Guys - Warren has a `75 2L - not a 1.8L - so all this retrofit stuff isn't applicable.

IIRC his is a straightforward change-out of 2L SSI-HEs from the OE steel ones, although he may have to do a crapalytic converter delete if it was a California car with one.

AFAIK only a new set of gaskets & would probably want to get a nice new shiney set of bolts/washers/nuts attachment hardware.

I'm a 73 2L guy - so if I'm wrong on that, then give Warren what he needs for a 75-76 2.0 conversion to the 73-76 SSI HEs.

Warren, unless your 914 is a rusty basket case - bite the bullet & do the SS HEs from RD or any source -

Also - SMC, Pelican, AA, & other 914 parts suppliers carry these SSI HEs & are also supporters/vendors/advertisers on 914world. But RD is close to you in Canada, so you may have lower shipping & no exchange rate issues with them being in CAN.

Tom
///////

Tom you are wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
75 & 76 use the same HE & muffler setup for both 1.8 & 2.0L & no they do not use the banana muffler.

See my attached pic. & subsequent caption
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 15 2021, 12:14 PM
Post #12

TMI....

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 15 2021, 09:34 AM) *

What you will need is:
1. left and right J tubes
2. left and right S branches with attaching brackets
3. Muffler bracket to match the muffler.
4. left and right warm air guides

I have all but 4 that are cleaned and powder coated. Let me know if you are interested.

Bruce - while I know that you have parts to sell - he may not need to replace all of those on his 2.0 - & can just get them cleaned up & PC'ed up in Nova Scotia.

Since it's a 2.0 Warren - you should already have #3 the 2.0 Muffler Bracket, as well as the other 3 tubes & guides - so check your own parts for condition. If not nice or restorable - or if you don't want to bother with restoring yours - then Bruce is a good option for turn-key resto parts.

You can also find SS J-tubes out there FS if you want to also keep that part attaching to the new SS-HEs in SS too.

Other than the non-stock muffler - Rich's/914Werke is a good representation of the full set-up.

However - if you are going to resto your own parts &/or get some new ones, then the ole "while I'm in there" kicks in, & you'll probably end up wanting to also restore & PC or paint the rest of the engine tins too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

The good thing is that you'll probably never need to replace the SS HEs in your lifetime, nor in your kid's, nor .... you get the idea! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 15 2021, 12:32 PM
Post #13

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) Again, NO!
Tom see the OP 1st post. He is looking to "refit" with backdated parts inquiring about the stainless HE's offered from RD vs the OG ones SSI made out of CA back in the day.
Unless someone backdated the car prior, NONE of the parts outside of the flapper valves interchange from a late system (75-76) to the earlier (70-74).
In my pic I show one of my 2.0L hangers, a Bursch 2.0L muffler, SSI 2.0L HE's & the rest are OE parts.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 15 2021, 12:50 PM
Post #14

TMI....

QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 15 2021, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 15 2021, 10:59 AM) *

Tom
///////

Tom you are wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
75 & 76 use the same HE & muffler setup for both 1.8 & 2.0L & no they do not use the banana muffler.

See my attached pic. & subsequent caption

Rich - I stand corrected on the original factory set-up.

I did say that the catalytic converter 75-76 versions were different, but I had thought that the non-cat 914s still used the banana muffler, whereas the cat cars had the cat + a shorter muffler. However, maybe those were converted exhaust 75-76 914s that I'm recalling having seen.

As for your caption at the later post - for Warren the L & R Flapper Boxes are available new from all of the sources I noted below, which are OEM JP/Dansk parts.

BTW Warren - JP/Dansk is now the Porsche OEM for these & other 914 parts, & are also sold through P-dealers.

According to SMC's parts listing below that I just checked - there is only one 2.0 SSI HE for 74-76 - which was what I meant for his 2.0 SS HEs.

And in later years JP/Dansk/SSI used to only offer a 2.0 HE set, & you had to update to it for 1.7/1.8 cars (except perhaps in the very early years of SSI HEs back in the 80s-90s they may have made a 1.7/1.8 version).

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...2-0-p21825.html

Warren - I don't know if you looked at SMC or any of the other 914 parts suppliers, but SMC also offers both the JP/Dansk 2L Banana & a 2L SS muffler, as well as many of the other parts that Warren will need new (gaskets, hardware), & some of the tins, flappers, etc. at this link:

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...d-exhaust-c242/

(Note that they've listed the 912-SSI HEs here fro 914s - but I think that may be a mistake, or else just an alternative fitment for the 912/912E version, & I don't know how well that would fit the 914 space. The actual p/n 914-SSI HEs are further down on that linked page above.)

There is similar diversity at Auto Atlanta, Stoddards, Einmalig, etc. - plus Porsche Classic has brought back a lot of parts offered through their authorized resellers & P-dealers.

Also for Warren - between JP/Dansk, SMC, RD, AA & Stoddard (& maybe 914Rubber) - I think that they have many of the plates & guides etc. now available as new repros (several are at the above link for one source).

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 15 2021, 01:00 PM
Post #15

TMI....

QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 15 2021, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 15 2021, 11:14 AM) *
Since it's a 2.0 Warren - you should already have #3 the 2.0 Muffler Bracket, as well as the other 3 tubes & guides - so check your own parts for condition. If not nice or restorable - or if you don't want to bother with restoring yours -

Other than the non-stock muffler - Rich's/914Werke is a good representation of the full set-up.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) Again, NO!
Tom see the OP 1st post. He is looking to "refit" with backdated parts inquiring about the stainless HE's offered from RD vs the OG ones SSI made out of CA back in the day.
Unless someone backdated the car prior, NONE of the parts outside of the flapper valves interchange from a late system (75-76) to the earlier (70-74).
In my pic I show one of my 2.0L hangers, a Bursch 2.0L muffler, SSI 2.0L HE's & the rest are OE parts.

Rich - read Warren's/OP's post #3 which I quoted above:

"'75 2.0 liter with original exhaust system. I'm aware other parts are needed to make it all fit but don't have a list yet. The heat exchangers will likely be the largest part of the expense."

I posted that BEFORE I saw your other post, & have corrected myself accrdingly in my post #14 - so get a grip! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

And in the post that you responded to - I said to check his parts because his set-up could've been updated &/or some parts may still work - and I said that the muffler was aftermarket - which Bursch is - & the rest was "a good representation".

If Warren needs to back date any of his other parts, then he can either get resto used or whichever new parts are now being produced - as I said in post #14.

So what is the F-ing problem!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Geesh!

IMHO a 914 owner on here should NOT be limited to only buying parts from members, or restored parts from member-vendors.

PS -0 I've bought many parts from both you & Bruce - as well as referring many others to both of you - so get off my case! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
rjames
post Apr 15 2021, 02:16 PM
Post #16

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

@Tom_T
IIRC his is a straightforward change-out of 2L SSI-HEs from the OE steel ones,

I’m a 73 2L guy - so if I'm wrong on that, then give Warren what he needs for a 75-76 2.0 conversion to the 73-76 SSI HEs.

I think you may still be missing that SSIs (and early 2.0 EOM exchangers) are not compatible with '75 & '76 2.0 exhaust setups.

Adds for the SSIs will say that they are compatible with later models, which they are, but only if you backdate all the other necessary pieces as Rich and Bruce detailed.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 15 2021, 02:34 PM
Post #17

Ok Tom's a bit testy today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Couple of points: nowhere did I represent that I was soliciting a sale.
I simply provided an image for reference AND THEN found I had to correct misinformation being promoted.
Tom if you are or have been a customer...Thank You. Your patronage of 914werke is greatly appreciated.
Im not sure where you get the implication or suggestion that the OP buy only from select sources?
If I appeared to be picking on you, my apologies, not intended but you did post inaccurate info, based on vendor marketing detail, in this thread ... more than once
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 15 2021, 04:28 PM
Post #18

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26

Guys.... Warren is my customer, I think he's got someone who knows a little bit about the job.

QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 15 2021, 01:48 PM) *

Ive been doing a few backdates lately (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

SSI's are still the best bet, finding near 50yr old OE HE's that aren't rusted out significantly is getting pretty hard.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-453-1618508814_thumb.jpg)

This is exactly all the parts for this job, just not crazy about the muffler.

This is what Warren is getting...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 15 2021, 06:19 PM
Post #19

TMI....

QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 15 2021, 12:16 PM) *

@Tom_T
IIRC his is a straightforward change-out of 2L SSI-HEs from the OE steel ones,

I’m a 73 2L guy - so if I'm wrong on that, then give Warren what he needs for a 75-76 2.0 conversion to the 73-76 SSI HEs.

I think you may still be missing that SSIs (and early 2.0 EOM exchangers) are not compatible with '75 & '76 2.0 exhaust setups.

Adds for the SSIs will say that they are compatible with later models, which they are, but only if you backdate all the other necessary pieces as Rich and Bruce detailed.

Nope - not missing that at all.

I understand that the other bits-n-pieces need to be changed out, & I referred the OP to SMC & a few other source to get some of the 73-74 Exhaust related plates etc. which are now being reproduced - rather than using a bunch of used HE tubes & deflectors, etc. with that beautiful engine that Mark H. built & posted above.

From my posts it should've been clear that I got it, & stood corrected - fi anyone bothered to read them - instead of stopping at the replies & continued to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) - that horse is long since dead.

Frankly, I didn't want to spend a bunch of back-n-forth time debating this issue after I'd conceded that there were other parts needed to backdate his 75 2L.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 15 2021, 08:06 PM
Post #20

TMI....

QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 15 2021, 12:34 PM) *

Ok Tom's a bit testy today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Couple of points: nowhere did I represent that I was soliciting a sale.
I simply provided an image for reference AND THEN found I had to correct misinformation being promoted.
Tom if you are or have been a customer...Thank You. You patronage of 914werke is greatly appreciated.
Im not sure where you get the implication that it was suggested that the OP buy only from select sources?
If I appeared to be picking on you, my apologies, not intended but you did post inaccurate info, based on vendor marketing detail, in this thread ... more than once

Yes & I'm frustrated that the debate continued after I'd already conceded that 75-76 was different per your post #11 Rich. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)

I was basically correcting the folks who were talking that the OP Warren had a `75 1.8 - so I pointed out that he'd clarified in his post #3 that it's a 2.0 75, & that all reccos should be based on that sub-model.

As I said in my post #14 - I'd posted the 2nd post that you blew up over BEFORE I saw your post about the 75-76 being different & backdating - and after my initial post when I said to correct me if I was wrong.

I also said that Warren should check his current parts stash to see what he may already have on hand for the retrofit HEs. That's pretty common sense advice.

Yes - I've bought various parts from you - & I'm sorry that you don't remember that.

I got the impression that you felt that my comments initially about Warren not needing the other parts, as my interfering with you're trying to offer the package in your photo. And I really don't think that there was anything wrong if you were - the OP was asking for guidance & parts.

So sorry for misreading your intentions.

And NO - I did NOT post inaccurate vendor info in here after I saw your 75-76 correction - as I've noted several times now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)

After that I posted another source for HE & other exhaust parts at SMC, as well as suggesting several other sources.

By the time I posted the parts AFTER seeing your post that the 75-76 is different from 73-74, I had moved on to offering additional sources for the added bits he'll need to backdate - including the repro air guide plate, L & R flapper boxes, & other mounting hardware & gaskets & kits of same.

No not all inclusive - but I clearly stated SOME of the parts he'd need to install the backdated 2.0 SSI HE's were there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)

For example the air guide plate - should he need one/both -
https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...-74-p15921.html

IIRC some of the other parts sources also carry a Right Air Guide Plate repro as well.

SMC also carries the correct JP/Dansk/SSI 2.0 HEs, the JP/Dansk 2.0 Banana Muffler & their alternative SS 2.0 Muffler - but figure 15% off per my sale note below:

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...2-0-p21825.html

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...-75-p24718.html

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...-76-p31556.html

Warren - also look for the other gaskets & hardware yourself Warren for the SSI-HE Backdate at this SMC link:

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...d-exhaust-c242/

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...-76-p25000.html

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...-74-p18863.html - x2

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...-74-p23839.html
(also several others available in kits or individually - my mechanic prefers the copper ones, & he was training on 914s by Porsche back in 1969)

Also Warren - the L & R Flapper Boxes if needed are here (hoses, clamps, etc. are at the page linked further down for the "bits-n-pieces") -

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...914-p18610.html

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...914-p18609.html

Those above were my previous suggestions from post #14, and they were & are correct for his backdating his 75-76 with 73-74 SSI HEs etc.

Rich - I do not believe that ANY of those parts above are incorrect for Warren's backdating - nor were the ones I'd posted at post #14 after standing corrected at that post.

So I don't know why you said that I'd given incorrect parts references? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)

But if you feel otherwise Rich - then just give Warren the links to the correct parts, and leave further recriminations of me out of the discussion ... or I'll just get testy again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Warren - you'll have to hunt down the rest of the bits at Bruce's List & Rich's photo at other new & used parts sources - assuming that you don't have any of them on hand.

Bruce had offered the parts on his list to get blasted & PC'ed if you do need any or all of them.

I don't know what part(s) Rich has available, other than I think that he mentioned his 2.0 muffler hangers.

Part of the reason that I suggested SMC as a source, is that they've just started a 15% off Spring Sale - according to the SMC email which I received today. So Warren could save 15% on all parts ordered for his 914 build - but he'll need to check if that is the best price for each at other sources - even with 15% off.

For Warren & all - the 15% off code is APRIL15 at checkout to apply the discount.

So Rich & RJames & all - let's all just move on now.

The (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) is officially dead now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:42 PM