Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Q's on how to move forward on my steering column situation
messick
post Jan 17 2021, 02:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,381
Region Association: Southern California

Short rundown on the history of my car:

Originally a '70 1.7L, converted to a 3.0L six. Would-be car thieves did lots of damage in their failed attempt, including taking a slide hammer to the ignition switch. 15 years later I'm (slowly) resurrecting the car. Now I have the steering column out, and I'm trying to fix the damage, plus fix other stuff that might be weird because of age and PO shenanigans.

Ok, after coming to terms that my Haynes manual and the posts I found on 914World didn't describe my steering column setup, I was able to get it out my car, and also the rest of the ignition switch apparatus out of the car.

Here are some pics:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-24381-1610915293.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-24381-1610915293.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-24381-1610915293.3.jpg)

First off, Haynes and everyone else said to disconnect the turn signal switch connectors under the column and pull that part out. Except, my car didn't have those connectors. they went down to that large Porsche/VW connector visible in the first picture, and would be impossible to take the switch component out of the column anyway.

Second, the ignition switch itself has wires soldered into it that eventually were spliced/connected to other wires under the dash (see pic two). I haven't traced them all down, but one goes to the center console gauges to a terminal marked "key" in Sharpie. I'm guessing the others go places like a stereo amp I've removed, and perhaps to an unused car alarm component that I have also removed. All the ignition wires are spliced/connected to other under-dash wires, which the exception of a grey wire that connected to another grey wire coming out the turn signal wire bundle.

I can't find anywhere that has the same sort of ignition wire setup. Also, the splicing/connecting seems pretty amateur hour, so I'm would strongly guess the car didn't come this way, which is why I can't find anyone one else describing the same setup. Since it's a '70, the turn signal difference is probably that, but other differences just seem to be PO shenanigans.

Third, not related to the car thievery, but apparently the turn signal switch was inoperable. The most immediate PO was my father, and he said he had "temporarily" wired in an external turn single switch and had it taped to the dash.

So, between the ignition switch stuff I have to replace, and the broken turn signal switch that's seem to be soldered to the Porsche connector, I'm at a cross roads on how to move forward.

My dad has a later 914 ignition switch (with a pretty worn out key) but with apparently some sort of plug rather than wires out the back. So I could reuse that.

Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 17 2021, 02:49 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would get a replacement from an early parts car and hopefully the 12 or 14 pin connector is still on the dash harness. Early steering columns are completely different from mid year and late so I wouldn't try to switch a later one in.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Jan 17 2021, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,855
Region Association: None

QUOTE(messick @ Jan 17 2021, 12:28 PM) *

Short rundown on the history of my car:

Originally a '70 1.7L, converted to a 3.0L six. Would-be car thieves did lots of damage in their failed attempt, including taking a slide hammer to the ignition switch. 15 years later I'm (slowly) resurrecting the car. Now I have the steering column out, and I'm trying to fix the damage, plus fix other stuff that might be weird because of age and PO shenanigans.

Ok, after coming to terms that my Haynes manual and the posts I found on 914World didn't describe my steering column setup, I was able to get it out my car, and also the rest of the ignition switch apparatus out of the car.

Here are some pics:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-24381-1610915293.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-24381-1610915293.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-24381-1610915293.3.jpg)

First off, Haynes and everyone else said to disconnect the turn signal switch connectors under the column and pull that part out. Except, my car didn't have those connectors. they went down to that large Porsche/VW connector visible in the first picture, and would be impossible to take the switch component out of the column anyway.

Second, the ignition switch itself has wires soldered into it that eventually were spliced/connected to other wires under the dash (see pic two). I haven't traced them all down, but one goes to the center console gauges to a terminal marked "key" in Sharpie. I'm guessing the others go places like a stereo amp I've removed, and perhaps to an unused car alarm component that I have also removed. All the ignition wires are spliced/connected to other under-dash wires, which the exception of a grey wire that connected to another grey wire coming out the turn signal wire bundle.

I can't find anywhere that has the same sort of ignition wire setup. Also, the splicing/connecting seems pretty amateur hour, so I'm would strongly guess the car didn't come this way, which is why I can't find anyone one else describing the same setup. Since it's a '70, the turn signal difference is probably that, but other differences just seem to be PO shenanigans.

Third, not related to the car thievery, but apparently the turn signal switch was inoperable. The most immediate PO was my father, and he said he had "temporarily" wired in an external turn single switch and had it taped to the dash.

So, between the ignition switch stuff I have to replace, and the broken turn signal switch that's seem to be soldered to the Porsche connector, I'm at a cross roads on how to move forward.

My dad has a later 914 ignition switch (with a pretty worn out key) but with apparently some sort of plug rather than wires out the back. So I could reuse that.

Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions.

Try buying a 1970 VW Bug upper steering column, or at least look at one. They use the same ignition switch electrical part; the steering lock tumbler mechanism is probably exactly the same too, since the turn signal/highbeam switch assembly is exactly the same between a Bug and a 1970 Porsche 914, at least it was on mine. The early 914's were a real parts bin special since they were trying to keep the cost of manufacturing them as low as possible.
+Quote Post
messick
post Jan 19 2021, 12:34 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 17 2021, 12:49 PM) *

I would get a replacement from an early parts car and hopefully the 12 or 14 pin connector is still on the dash harness. Early steering columns are completely different from mid year and late so I wouldn't try to switch a later one in.

Yeah a feeling this was the correct way to go.
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jan 19 2021, 12:53 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,610

I am presently putting together a 914/6 dash package and am pulling early steering components this week to have a plug and play solution for -6 conversions or replacement for original.

While i am doing that, I can try and find a nice column and ignition switch from a -4 for you if you like. So ideally you would need the column and an ignition from an early (70/71)?
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jan 19 2021, 01:30 PM
Post #6

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@messick

I have what you need. I am in Riverside.

As shown it has a used tumbler and key. I do have NOS tumbler assemblies too.
And the 12 pin connector if needed.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
messick
post Jan 19 2021, 01:41 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 19 2021, 10:53 AM) *

I am presently putting together a 914/6 dash package and am pulling early steering components this week to have a plug and play solution for -6 conversions or replacement for original.

While i am doing that, I can try and find a nice column and ignition switch from a -4 for you if you like. So ideally you would need the column and an ignition from an early (70/71)?

Yes.

I see there is the correct steering column on eBay right now, but without any promises that everything is in good working order.
+Quote Post
messick
post Jan 19 2021, 01:44 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 19 2021, 11:30 AM) *

@messick

If I just had to replace the ignitation switch, this would be great. But, the turn signal component of my existing column is said to be failed, so I thinking I need to replace the rest of the column anyway.

Unless someone can point me at some way of fixing and testing common turn signal problems. If I could fix that, then perhaps just putting in a new switch into my existing column would be good enough.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jan 19 2021, 04:21 PM
Post #9

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(messick @ Jan 19 2021, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 19 2021, 11:30 AM) *

@messick

If I just had to replace the ignitation switch, this would be great. But, the turn signal component of my existing column is said to be failed, so I thinking I need to replace the rest of the column anyway.

Unless someone can point me at some way of fixing and testing common turn signal problems. If I could fix that, then perhaps just putting in a new switch into my existing column would be good enough.

I have a used turn signal too. Yiu can buy new ones as a VW beetle part. If for any reason the parts do not work i am local and can refund your money. I
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 19 2021, 07:15 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 19 2021, 02:21 PM) *

I have a used turn signal too. Yiu can buy new ones as a VW beetle part. If for any reason the parts do not work i am local and can refund your money. I

Messick, glad to hear you are putting your 914 back on the road—and sorry to see the damage done to it years ago.

Bruce (above) is good people, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better source for what you need now—along with a resource for the long haul.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:44 AM