Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electrical - Starting Issue
FUEL14
post Jan 11 2021, 03:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,382
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Hi, I have searched the forum for answers to starting issues, but I can't seem to find a thread for a problem exactly like mine.

The 3-year restoration of my car is about to come to an end, with a plan to be on the road early February. The wiring has been checked by a professional and modified/repaired where necessary. Everything was working great, starting no problem at all. But, just a couple of days ago, she turned over in the morning and didn't in the afternoon. Nothing was done to the car in between aside from a rear coilover adjustment.

When I turn the key to the first position, I can hear the fuel pump whirring and all lights, horn etc work ok. But when I turn further to crank, all I get is a single click from the under-dash fuse box area.

I installed a new battery as part of the restoration. The voltmeter is reading 13.4.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance, Luke.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wattele
post Jan 11 2021, 06:56 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,651
Region Association: Europe

You have been working in the surroundings of the starter motor and solenoid.
Check the starter and solenoid for loose wires.

Succes,
Willy
+Quote Post
FUEL14
post Jan 11 2021, 06:15 PM
Post #3

Thanks Willy, but all the connections look good and clean back there.

QUOTE(wattele @ Jan 11 2021, 11:56 PM) *

You have been working in the surroundings of the starter motor and solenoid.
Check the starter and solenoid for loose wires.

Succes,
Willy

+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 11 2021, 06:19 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

what wattele says.

only other thought is - 30 years ago i had a similar problem - sort of.
turned out to be the seat belt interlock system, which took two hacks at getting rid of.
i had had it disconnected which got rid of the initial annoyance of the stupid thing (most 914s had that done straight away when new). ie doing up seat belt to start car.
then there was a remnant of it left including a relay under the passenger seat (rhs).
that relay would kill the ignition randomly for start upwhen it warmed up to a certain amount (but the car ran if it was running, just killed the starter, you could roll start it).
does not sound like your problem. we tracked that all down and cut it out of the ignition circuit.

i have seen pics of your car and it looks like you stripped it apart.
i doubt there is any trace of that crazy system still in it?

sounds like we will be going for a drive soon?

check the transmission ground strap.
up near the muffler hanger end.
you could have knocked that or its not grounding.
+Quote Post
FUEL14
post Jan 11 2021, 07:57 PM
Post #5

We did manage to tie up all that gubbins under the passenger seat, so I'm pretty sure that's all good. I'll do some testing tonight to see if it's the ignition switch. If so, I'll have to rush one in AY-SAP. Fingers crossed, still on track for a February drive...

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 12 2021, 11:19 AM) *

what wattele says.

only other thought is - 30 years ago i had a similar problem - sort of.
turned out to be the seat belt interlock system, which took two hacks at getting rid of.
i had had it disconnected which got rid of the initial annoyance of the stupid thing (most 914s had that done straight away when new). ie doing up seat belt to start car.
then there was a remnant of it left including a relay under the passenger seat (rhs).
that relay would kill the ignition randomly for start upwhen it warmed up to a certain amount (but the car ran if it was running, just killed the starter, you could roll start it).
does not sound like your problem. we tracked that all down and cut it out of the ignition circuit.

i have seen pics of your car and it looks like you stripped it apart.
i doubt there is any trace of that crazy system still in it?

sounds like we will be going for a drive soon?

check the transmission ground strap.
up near the muffler hanger end.
you could have knocked that or its not grounding.

+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Jan 12 2021, 02:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

This is a very common problem, unfortunately, there are a few weak links.

1. The Ignition switch is susceptible to burning-out. The starter solenoid sucks a few more amps than the switch can handle. Some people add a relay at the starter to fix this problem.

2. Seat belt switch - unless you are going to Carmel, get rid of it.

3. Starter Solenoid - the bendix starter has many weird starter solenoid troubles. I went through 3 cheap ones before getting to one where it would start reliably. I have a writeup on this within 914 world.

4. Junction Box - behind the driver seat is a box with a plastic cover (held down with a nut on a long rod down the middle) where the engine hardnesses and the ignition harness come together. Corrosion can be a voltage stealer at this junction. Can steal the umph necessary to engage the starter solenoid.

5. Chassis Ground - Make certain that the ground strap is connected, clean, and tight. Many stories about these being 'part' of a larger problem.

There are probably more, but that's what I got.

CTC
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Jan 13 2021, 09:06 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Here is the starter thread I started and referenced in this post.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=349483&hl=

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 13 2021, 09:13 AM
Post #8

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jan 12 2021, 02:07 PM) *

4. Junction Box - behind the driver seat is a box with a plastic cover (held down with a nut on a long rod down the middle) where the engine hardnesses and the ignition harness come together. Corrosion can be a voltage stealer at this junction. Can steal the umph necessary to engage the starter solenoid.

Are you referring to the relay board?

Clay
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jan 13 2021, 10:22 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Hey Clay. Pretty sure that is what he means, behind the drivers seat in the engine compartment.
+Quote Post
FUEL14
post Jan 22 2021, 08:23 PM
Post #10

I still need help with this, please. But, I have some new information...

The problem is somewhere in the ignition switch/barrel area. See photos below for reference of my switch, inside my barrel and also the key, showing wear for reference (if that's relevant).

When I turn the ignition switch with a screwdriver, all works ok.. engine starts, happy days. When I assemble the switch into the barrel and turn with the key, it does not. When I turn the key in the barrel by itself when disconnected from the column, just holding it in my hands, things 'sound' correct. I mean, I can hear the key turning through the motions as it should.

So, something is preventing the key from turning the switch when things are assembled together.

Any ideas? Looking at the photo of the key-end of my switch, does that look worn out? Could that be the issue? Or maybe, is the tab in the barrel somehow not connecting properly?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-22382-1611368595.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-22382-1611368596.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-22382-1611368596.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-22382-1611368597.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-22382-1611368597.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-22382-1611368597.6.jpg)

+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jan 23 2021, 07:30 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Take the assembly to a locksmith that's been in the business for a while....they can verify what's not right and likely make what's called a "code cut" key that will work perfectly....likely won't cost more than about $75 & take less than an hour.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:36 PM