Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine temp warning thingy
brian minson
post Aug 12 2020, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,089
Region Association: Southern California

Some of you know I have 2.0 Type 4 engine in my 1967 Porsche 912, and man do I love this engine in this car. I have owned three 914's over the years (1.7 and 1.8s) and never felt those engines had enough power for me. But this 2.0 is a blast!

Anyways, since the Type 4 uses a different oil temp sensor for the gauge on the dash in my '67 912 I could never tell if the engine was getting too warm or hot. Living here in Arizona where today the high will be 112 F, it was freaking me out at times.

I found this device that replaces the dipstick in the Type 4 and hooks up to the warning light all VW/Porsche's have on the dash. It's not the best but gives a little bit of a heads up if something is going on.

Just wanted to share this product, I don't get a commission or etc, just really liked the product for the price.

Here is a little video I did on how easy it is to install.

Brian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIXjy6YGvGs&t=360s

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 12 2020, 04:40 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

It's a clever concept...but I absolutely do NOT like conflating the warning for "yeah, we're getting a tad hot you might want'a back it off a bit" with the one for "OH MY GOD IT'S A ABOUT TO BLOW UP SHUT IT OFF AND PULL THE F**K OVER RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW!!!!"

Worser'n that would be seeing the occasional "yeah we're getting hot" warning and it being "the boy who cried wolf" for when it really really really is the wolf.

But that's just me.

Like I said, neat idea, but I'd connect it to something else.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Aug 13 2020, 12:22 AM
Post #3

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

I have them. I have the type1 version for the beetle and the type4 version for my 2.0L type4 bus engine (VW T2B). I removed it on the bus. Why ? because the bus goes on longer trips (it is a camper) and this device cannot function as a dipstick, so you cannot check the oillevel. And I do that every break we take. And checking the oil is an easy task, but not so much with this setup anymore. In the beginning I just kept the original dipstick in the bus, so I could check my oil with it. It was not very handy afterall....but I do like the idea and simplicity of this thing !
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 13 2020, 09:18 AM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Is the sensor/sending unit for the oil temp gauge correct for the gauge in the 912?
+Quote Post
brian minson
post Aug 13 2020, 09:50 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,089
Region Association: Southern California

No (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) the 1965-1969 912's with the original 616 engines use the same oil temp sender as the 911, thus the dash gauge works only with that sender.

I did order an adapter from CPS in Germany that allows the older style sensor be screwed into the Type 4 motor to allow the dash gauge to work... but it's still on the SLOOOOOW boat I guess LOL

Brian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Aug 13 2020, 09:58 AM
Post #6

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

unless...it is a 912E (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) then it might work just fine, using the type4 version ...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:43 PM