Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mystery Wires (stereo, maybe?), wiring
avocadotom
post Aug 8 2020, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,469
Region Association: None

I am in the (hopefully) last stages of assembling my ‘72 914 and I’m hoping to install a stereo.

There are two mystery wires coming out of the hole where the stereo would be, although they do not appear to be the negative and positive wires (although I didn’t check if they independently have power to them). Any idea what they might be?

Backstory: I bought this 914 disassembled by a previous owner and I’m new to 914s, so it’s been a journey...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BPic
post Aug 8 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

Can’t tell in the photo. What color are they?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 8 2020, 06:54 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It isn't for a stereo because those are not built in to the harness. Stereos had a separate harness. The brown wire is a ground. My guess is it is for the fan controls. There should be a tab on the slider mechanism to connect to ground. Can't tell what color the other wire is.
+Quote Post
sholman5
post Aug 8 2020, 09:06 PM
Post #4

Kraut burner

Member No.: 20,391
Region Association: South East States

Check the wiring diagram for the fresh air heater control slider.
+Quote Post
avocadotom
post Aug 12 2020, 10:44 PM
Post #5

Thanks all, I’ll do just that!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 13 2020, 09:46 AM
Post #6

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 8 2020, 05:54 PM) *

It isn't for a stereo because those are not built in to the harness. Stereos had a separate harness. The brown wire is a ground. My guess is it is for the fan controls. There should be a tab on the slider mechanism to connect to ground. Can't tell what color the other wire is.

Probably yellow. Yellow morphs to brown after 50 years. Peel back that insulation a tad to reveal the color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
avocadotom
post Aug 17 2020, 09:31 AM
Post #7

Ha! I will totally peel back the wires to see what colors they were originally.

I did a little more digging into this last night and the smaller wire is brown with a white line, and it has 12 V to it with the ignition on.

The larger "brown" wire does not have any voltage. I don't think it's a ground wire either, because when I connect the two wires through a multimeter, I don't see any voltage.

FWIW, the fresh air fan works, so it's hooked up to something. And to make matters more confusing, there are similar wires (larger gauge brown, smaller gauge brown and white) in the harness as well that ARE hooked up to the fresh air controls. You can somewhat see them in the picture below.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Junebug
post Aug 17 2020, 12:05 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,713
Region Association: Northern California

only brown/white wire I see on schematic are: Parking brake contact , Brake warning Light, Parking brake contact in-line diode, Steering column switch to horn relay and Right side door switch (push button) FWIW
+Quote Post
lierofox
post Aug 17 2020, 12:07 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,880
Region Association: Southern California

I wonder if the brown wire with white tracer is for the seat belt warning light.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 17 2020, 12:15 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(lierofox @ Aug 17 2020, 12:07 PM) *

I wonder if the brown wire with white tracer is for the seat belt warning light.

I don't have a schematic handy but that would make sense. Brown with white tracer means a switched ground.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Aug 17 2020, 02:36 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Not sure with a '72 model year 914 but on both of my 1974s, brown with white tracer wires are connected to the door contact switches on each side, meeting at the tunnel and going to the under passenger seat door open buzzer relay from which a single brown/white tracer wire heads up to the interior cabin light. My recollection is fuzzy but earlier models had a different system for the door contact switches in each side's door jamb. I think they were hot which is what the red/white wire might be. This brown/white wire appears to be too short to reach over to the passenger front door jamb.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 17 2020, 03:11 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

That's right. For factory wiring, solid brown is a ground and brown with white tracer is a switched ground. You are right, door switches, brake lever contact, interior light, etc. all have brown with white tracer because those are switched grounds meaning that the ground circuit isn't completed until a switch makes contact. If you test the voltage on one of those wires upstream of the first switch in the circuit, it is going to read hot because you are completing the ground circuit with your meter or test light. If you test on the other side of an open switch, you will get nothing.

The interior light is a good demo because it has both a brown and brwn/white wire attached. One position on the light switch closes contact to the solid brown ground connector and the light comes on. The opposite position closes contact to the switched ground but the ground circuit isn't completed until you open a door and close a contact on a door switch.

This all may be interesting for understanding the theory behind the car wiring, but doesn't help with what that particular wire does. It also assumes a PO hasn't gotten creative with borrowing and splicing wire.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:35 PM