Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Targa early vs late - I know it’s been asked but I’m stuck!
Psw1811
post Jun 18 2020, 03:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,595
Region Association: England

I know the roof changed mid 1973 - I understand from chassis number 4732926221. Well my car is number 4732920086 - April 1973. My roof is missing but I’ve found a great condition late roof. My car has late doors so I’m guessing if I use all late seals I should be ok??? I’ve searched but there is no definitive answer. Mid 73 cars obviously had late doors but an early roof - so is it just seals that are different or are mid 73 cars a hybrid of early/late.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jun 18 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #2

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

all you need...
+Quote Post
Psw1811
post Jun 18 2020, 04:14 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,595
Region Association: England

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 18 2020, 04:03 PM) *

Hi, that’s what I’ve read but it doesn’t answer the question! It just confirms that some early 1973 cars had late doors and early roofs - what seals are they using?? Are early and late roof interchangeable with different seals? Late roofs don’t just match late doors - many people say the wrong roof won’t seal???! But what’s the wrong roof??????
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 18 2020, 05:10 PM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

They are interchangeable.
The seals have to be cut for the car they are installed on,
but they are the same profiles. So if cut to fit on another car, I would not expect them to fit your car precisely.

Also note that there was an early version of the targa to window seal that doesn’t have a wiper on the outside edge. Factory superseded this part to the one that seals better for a reason. We saw no need to duplicate an inferior seal.

You can see how this is an improvement by creating a 2nd barrier for water.

It just needs to be adjusted properly for your car.

If you really wanted the old profile you could carefully cut off the lip (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Note this is shown with the front main targa seal not installed. It would normally but up against this end

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gtbarnes
post Jan 17 2021, 01:05 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,111
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Psw1811 @ Jun 18 2020, 02:14 PM) *

Hi, that’s what I’ve read but it doesn’t answer the question! It just confirms that some early 1973 cars had late doors and early roofs - what seals are they using?? Are early and late roof interchangeable with different seals? Late roofs don’t just match late doors - many people say the wrong roof won’t seal???! But what’s the wrong roof??????

Nobody seems to know----The 2 tops are different here-The rear seal sides are different. one top has a flat area and the other style top has a deep molded channel for the seal sides. Which is what? Dont know
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jan 17 2021, 01:21 PM
Post #6

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(gtbarnes @ Jan 17 2021, 01:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Psw1811 @ Jun 18 2020, 02:14 PM) *

Nobody seems to know----The 2 tops are different here-The rear seal sides are different. one top has a flat area and the other style top has a deep molded channel for the seal sides. Which is what? Dont know

In addition to the seal difference the rear latches and the rubber blocks which fit into them are different. Don't trust that they change at a particular VIN. My early 73 has late latches. The later tops have latches with shorter and more closely spaced locating bumps. The rubber blocks on the early tops are taller and more narrow blocks. I have not yet tried swapping the early and late latches and blocks to the different top to see if the fit is correct.
the second picture shows an early latch with a late block. This combination will cause the top to move side to side and squeak.
An early top on a late car will not fit into the locating blocks and sit high.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:25 AM