Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternator light on?
914Toy
post May 30 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

My alternator light comes on with ignition on, and stays on with engine running, and voltage stays at 12V regardless of rpm's. Was charging regularly at nearly 14V. The fan belt is in good order at spec tension. The alternator was reconditioned a couple of years ago and now has about 5,000 miles on it. The diode behind the gauge was also replaced, but I have had the gauge in and out a few times working on other issues - possibly damaging it(?)

Before removing the alternator for testing, could the diode behind the gauge be faulty preventing charging? If so, what is the spec of these diodes?

Your suggestions will be welcome.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 30 2020, 02:12 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

pull the regulator and make sure that the light goes out. If it does plug in a new voltage regulator (probably not that) so if the belt is tight the alternator has a problem

QUOTE(914Toy @ May 30 2020, 12:19 PM) *

My alternator light comes on with ignition on, and stays on with engine running, and voltage stays at 12V regardless of rpm's. Was charging regularly at nearly 14V. The fan belt is in good order at spec tension. The alternator was reconditioned a couple of years ago and now has about 5,000 miles on it. The diode behind the gauge was also replaced, but I have had the gauge in and out a few times working on other issues - possibly damaging it(?)

Before removing the alternator for testing, could the diode behind the gauge be faulty preventing charging? If so, what is the spec of these diodes?

+Quote Post
914Toy
post May 30 2020, 03:38 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 30 2020, 01:12 PM) *

pull the regulator and make sure that the light goes out. If it does plug in a new voltage regulator (probably not that) so if the belt is tight the alternator has a problem

Thanks for your comments. I have a hatch in the firewall, so will be removing the alternator for replacing the built in voltage regulator.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 30 2020, 03:51 PM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

If you replaced your alternator light with a LED. The problem is the LED.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
73-914
post May 30 2020, 05:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,651

QUOTE(914Toy @ May 30 2020, 05:38 PM) *

Thanks for your comments. I have a hatch in the firewall, so will be removing the alternator for replacing the built in voltage regulator.

the voltage regulator is on the relay board not on the alternator
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post May 30 2020, 05:22 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

QUOTE(73-914 @ May 30 2020, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(914Toy @ May 30 2020, 05:38 PM) *

the voltage regulator is on the relay board not on the alternator

Keith’s car is a 6 conversion
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 30 2020, 06:09 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

It's a 2.7 six. The alternator has a built in regulator. He is using a standard alternator light, not an LED.
Reading the manual... One side of the light goes to D+ on the regulator (blue wire) and the other side of the light goes to ignition + (RD/BK wire).
If the light is on, it's getting power. Slight chance the blue wire is grounding, which will also enable the light. Can you get to the blue wire directly on the alternator and put a light on it and see if it makes a difference? Otherwise your going to have to pull the alternator again and get it tested.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 30 2020, 06:39 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 31 2020, 09:51 AM) *

If you replaced your alternator light with a LED. The problem is the LED.

With an LED lamp it won't work from the get go,only the stock lamp will work for excitation of the altenator.
Bugger when you have a built in VR as changing them is a bit of a chore with the six, not so bad with a firewall opening.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 30 2020, 07:07 PM
Post #9

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

When I was building my engine there was enough cases of internal regulator failure that I went with a 70amp external regulator type.
But I also put in a huge hatch, so if I have to I can pull the fan in car.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post May 30 2020, 07:49 PM
Post #10

After checking the wiring behind the gauge, which looked OK, I spent the afternoon removing the alternator from the car via the firewall hatch. Will be ordering a new voltage regular tomorrow from PP. Expect to have it back together by Wednesday in time for the rally., (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
914Toy
post May 31 2020, 08:06 AM
Post #11

What is the purpose of the diode attached to the alternator light terminal. The Haynes manual shows it connected in parallel with the blue alternator wire, connected to the brown with white stripe wires, but detail is difficult to be sure?
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 31 2020, 08:47 AM
Post #12

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(914Toy @ May 31 2020, 10:06 AM) *

What is the purpose of the diode attached to the alternator light terminal. The Haynes manual shows it connected in parallel with the blue alternator wire, connected to the brown with white stripe wires, but detail is difficult to be sure?

Keith,

Can you show a picture of the schematic you refer to? I have an '86 930 and it doesn't show the diode you're referring to.

There shouldn't be a diode in series with the GEN light as the current in the GEN light needs to be able to go both directions.

Please post the schematic and/or my email: spokester@yahoo.com.

BTW, while your alternator is out it might be worthwhile to have it tested if possible.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 31 2020, 09:00 AM
Post #13

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(914Toy @ May 30 2020, 03:19 PM) *

...could the diode behind the gauge be faulty preventing charging?

Below I'm showing the simplified schematic for the 914/4 charging system. The 911 charging system is very similar except the VR is located with the alternator. Notice there is no diode to speak of. Not sure what the diode on your gauge is for. Not sure even what the gauge has to do with the charging system except to hold the GEN light.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 31 2020, 09:28 AM
Post #14

The rubber man

That's why I thought he had put a diode in the indicator light position.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post May 31 2020, 10:40 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Spoke @ May 31 2020, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(914Toy @ May 30 2020, 03:19 PM) *

...could the diode behind the gauge be faulty preventing charging?

Below I'm showing the simplified schematic for the 914/4 charging system. The 911 charging system is very similar except the VR is located with the alternator. Notice there is no diode to speak of. Not sure what the diode on your gauge is for. Not sure even what the gauge has to do with the charging system except to hold the GEN light.

Attached Image

This diagram is very clear thanks. I am removing this diode from behind the gauge, and ordering a new voltage regulator which I expect will solve the problem.
Thanks Jerry.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 31 2020, 11:25 AM
Post #16

The rubber man

removing the diode alone should make it work
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 31 2020, 12:10 PM
Post #17

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Also some alternators have two B+, two D+ and two D- terminals, don't try to pair these extra terminals up, just pick one of each.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Jun 2 2020, 07:15 PM
Post #18

I have replaced the voltage regulator with a new one from PP on my 2.7 L 911 engine. After a light sanding clean of the two slip rings to mate with he voltage regulator carbon brushes, I installed the new regulator back onto the alternator. I started the engine and reved it up to about 2000 rpm - unfortunately - still no charge, with the warning light remaining on red and the voltmeter showing slightly over 12V - the battery voltage. The regulator is the $100 Valeo 5 star rated unit on PP which they say is the same as Porsche uses, but it is made in China (?).

After looking at a few "how to trouble shoot Alternators" videos, and checking all connections and correct attachment of the three wires to the alternator, I have to conclude that the alternator has failed. Subject to any further advice from this brain trust I plan to remove the alternator again tomorrow and take it for a professional checking.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Jun 3 2020, 03:10 PM
Post #19

had the Alternator checked this morning. Not charging because on or more of the diodes had failed. Expect to pick up the alternator tomorrow morning and have it back in the car by the end of the day. So I expect to join all of you on Saturday morning early (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 3 2020, 05:57 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(914Toy @ Jun 4 2020, 09:10 AM) *

had the Alternator checked this morning. Not charging because on or more of the diodes had failed. Expect to pick up the alternator tomorrow morning and have it back in the car by the end of the day. So I expect to join all of you on Saturday morning early (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Good result Keith,can be frustrating sorting issues with charging systems (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ,my Bosch 55a unit has kinda has been a PITA after being full rebuilt,NOS Bosch regulator and rebuilt relayboard added later have helped somewhat but don't think these old units play well with AGM battteries at its max charge under load is around 13.5V but it still appears to be working when it needs to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:22 PM